Mad cow disease blood test may become standard when donating blood in the UK

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
In the near future (months to years) researchers hope to have a reliable blood test for vCJD (human 'mad cow disease'). This test will become part of the standard tests done on donated blood, so that blood testing positive will not make it into the blood banks and potentially infect others (as has been found to happen before).

However the blood bank people are worried that donations will drop sharply as people will fear having this test done on their blood in case they are told they test positive. A similar thing happened when HIV testing began.

Would this put you off donating blood? Would you want to know the results? Should people be told the results if they did not ask for them?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1425054.stm

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I have no problem with it, can't see it making any difference.

The vast majority of the UK population don't give blood anyway.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Yes, and there may be other benefits apart from preventing the spread through donated blood. We really don't know how widespread this disease is, introducing a test on donations would be quite a effective way of sampling seemingly healthy people all over the country, giving some insight into how how extensive it is (or, hopefully finding out how extensive it isn't).

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The blood service already check for HIV and Hepatitis, so as you say, checking for CJD can only be helpful. :)

It's a great shame that most people don't even consider giving blood.

They are desperately short of certain types, to the degree that they now ring you before each session.

For those who fear the needle, there is now a local anaesthetic available, which takes away any pain, even without, it is only slightly uncomfortable.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
This is interesting. Does this mean that the agent that causes vCJD has now been identified? It's already been named a Prion even though nobody knows (knew?) what it looks like.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
rolfw said:
It's a great shame that most people don't even consider giving blood.

It is an even greater shame that the rules are so stringent for blood donors who have had an operation or specific illnesses that deny them the chance to continue donating.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes I agree Topper, they obviously have their reasons though.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I give blood whenever thay are in town ( I have two cards for two different regions). The best thing is, having a pint or two in the evening after makes you feel like you have had five.
So giving blood is a cheap way of getting drunk. So you know it makes sense.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
LOL, they always say to me "now don't do any strenuous exercise or drink any alcohol this evening . . . . . . . . . . .Yeah, like you'll take any notice of that" :) They know me well. :)

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
I got a silver award for donating and then contracted glandular fever and they weren't so keen after that.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
PoloMint said:
Would this put you off donating blood?

Nope, it's the needles that put me off, I hate 'em!!! :eek:

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sorry, it's the needles that do it for me as well.

I donated blood once over 30 years ago and just can't bear to repeat the experience. When I had a blood test done a couple of years ago I was very wobbly legged exiting the doctor's. I drove home (not wise in retrospect) and went straight upstairs to bed for the rest of day not to resurface until the following morning! My wife said that I was white as a sheet after the test!

So, sorry and all that, but no way...

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
PaulR said:

I donated blood once over 30 years ago and just can't bear to repeat the experience. When I had a blood test done a couple of years ago I was very wobbly legged exiting the doctor's. I drove home (not wise in retrospect) and went straight upstairs to bed for the rest of day not to resurface until the following morning! My wife said that I was white as a sheet after the test!

So chopping off a limb would be the better option for you ?

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
PaulR said:

So, sorry and all that, but no way...

I've had a couple of blood tests in the past year, and each time I have hated it and just wished I could have found an exuse not to go, and each one came back all normal, but the thing is, even to this day I occasionally feel a twinge in either arm where the needle went in which I never used to.... :eek:

Needles, hate 'em hate 'em hate 'em!!!! :-Nooo

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Channel Hopper said:
So chopping off a limb would be the better option for you ?
I fail to see how this is an alternative? I've had 30 odd years with all limbs intact so far.