Mad motor or mad receiver or....?

Leee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ v2 (120Gb); DM7020Si*motorised; PC/S2-3200
My Location
47°N/8°E/490m
I've bought a little cheapy number (Smart Rapido II FTA) to set up my motor and dish. Now I've done the motor -> south then work on the rest and I do have a reference point at 19e where I managed to get 65% quality whilst setting up.

I dial in 28e and ...... the bloody motor goes WEST back past 0.

What's that about then?

I tried with and without USALS. It's like it's possessed.

I tried stepping east and got signal + quality and when I got to tune the damn thing on 28e, it swings off as soon as I set it that way.

I've tried with LNB1 settings, DiSEqC 1.2 settings (on 19 and 28) and no joy.

I am tempted to drag the DM500 out of my setup but I want a second opinion. I assume the receiver is barmy - otherwise why would it, when I set 19e as a reference point, sod off to somewhere west?

Any words of advice?

Thanks - Lee

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You shouldn't be setting 19E as a reference point, it should be 8W to tie in with your location. :)

Leee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
47°N/8°E/490m
rolfw said:
You shouldn't be setting 19E as a reference point, it should be 8W to tie in with your location. :)

cheers Rolf, I know that but when I tell the thing it's at 19e and "we're happy", hotbird should not lie east and astra2 west from that location, surely?

Yes USALS was told 47N and 8E not 8N and 47E...... ;)

Do you think I'll notice a significant change using 7E as my marker? I can't see logically how but I'll bow to greater experience and intelligence any time.

McClaren, that rules you out ;) :D

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Sorry, I said 8W :eek: I meant 7E. :)

Try returning the receiver to factory default settings, then use 7E, it is just that it is much more straightforward that way. :)

Leee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
47°N/8°E/490m
I see rolfw that I saw through your sneaky trick there.

I believe 7E will be at 0-1(w) on my motor; I'll try lining up against that.

I did think that once I got one bird in the hand, the two in the bushes would stop rustling ;)

Certainly sending the motor to 19e seemed to get it to the correct(-ish) position. 13e is not that far away from it so why this donut is off west, I don't know.

I'll do another reset and go for 7e as my reference point. I believe I'll then swing out to 42e and see if I'm good there.

Needless to say I've had many WFT?!!? moments up to now. But I can't be far off :)

Ta muchy...

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
LOL, had many of those moments myself when setting up unknown diseqC receivers, I always get them running in the end though. :)

Gordstonia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7020 with
Samsung 250GB HDD
80cm Motorized Dish
My Location
Kent, UK
hi Leee

i'm a bit confused, are you using the new receiver to drive the motor or the DM500?
I had this problem when setting up my DM7020. I eventually had to adjust all positions manually in the motor setup area.
If you need more info let me know. If i'm talking bo***x - don't :)
PeaceOut:toke:

Leee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
47°N/8°E/490m
I am using the cheapo receiver because a) I might use it as a positioner for my Technotrend S3200 and :cool: because my DM is happy where it is!!

I'm starting to think that I have to manually adjust everything. I had 19e and 28e through manual steering of the motor last night and then had to watch PSV -vs- Liverpool :)

Leee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
47°N/8°E/490m
OK, more fun to report.

I tried with the DM connected and had a lovely reception of 7e. But then it refused to move around the arc; I went into the satellite setup and set my sats to DiSEqc 1.2 in the hope that it would move but.... grrr...!! :eek:

So I reconnected retardo-box. 19e; perfect with almost 100 quality. Hotbird was still located to the WEST so I disabled DiSEqC on that satellite and then drove slightly west from 19e. As soon as the quality hit anything, it f---ed off west to where it thought Hotbird was located. :confused

So I stepped and saved my way back there and suddenly my Hotbird location is in the right place. Repeat with Astra2. Wahey!

So now I have it semi-working on the cheapo box and now have connected it to my S2-3200 Technotrend PC card.....and now I have to get decent software to get it going properly on the PC.

So getting there, slowly. Thanks Gordstonia for the hints....I think DM will work nicely with locations stored if I go back there - but my aim is to get whatever HD I can through my media centre PC and projector.

Leee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
47°N/8°E/490m
interesting update for Easter Monday:
Dreambox is connected and will go to 19e and 7e now, no problem. Are these positions stored in the motor?

I've stepped-out to 28e and 13e and got my channels from there. I'm assuming I am going to have to step 'n store to the positions where I get nothing.

So the question is - my Stab HH-100 - does it store the positions internally or is the whole operation driven by the box?

Anyway, getting there. My PC system will be simple DiSEqC with three birds, I've decided.... ;)