Magic CAM: what the future holds?

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Personally, I feel the MM may be on the cusp of it's usefulness now that the ice cams (such as blue ice) are handling 6 in 1 although I appreciate that Connax is not available to the ice but is on the MM. For lovers of mature content, the blue ice also offers 2 'built in' mature content channels so can decrypt 3 channels from the one CI slot in turn. The green ice willl have 4 channels programmed in late this year. Updating of the ice cam is easier for those whose receiver is not near their PC because it can be done with C2 x Fun4s or 1 x fun5. I think the support for the ice is far better than for the MM and the debacle of the bad software in Penta 1.10 which wiped many of them has made me rather wary.

Nickolai

Reaction score
My Location
Berkshire
Jimbo,

In a nutshell, I agree. Specifically on the support site. I feel that the lost court case vs SCM at the time signalled the decline of MM, as it had to go "underground".

I am almost thinking of getting the Ice cam myself :rolleyes:

Just to clarify, there is currently no Conax access on MM for hobbyists. Do you mean that one can use MM with an official sunsription card instead of the Conax cam, and if so, are you sure?

Also, what about the rumoured Magic II - may be that will cut more mustard. O-Ha

Anyway, I think, Magic was a revolutionary and innovative product for the time, it gave us all long pleasant hours and deserves :-cheers for that!

easysat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S + motorised 80cm dish, Amstrad DRX550 Digibox + fixed dish
My Location
pj::
Just to clarify what you are saying: you're saying that MMs are in a grey area legally but Icecrypt CAMs are fine legally because they include a CA system that is used by a couple of European channels ? To me there seems to be little practical difference in their uses.

Mind you, I am curious how people discover how to flash these modules into more exotic beasts. Is is just intuition or are they software gurus or did they have access to some design information? Presumably the SIDSA chip comes with all the info needed to program it when you buy it. But where do you get info about whatever is in the Icecrypt?

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
I had the impression that the MM will decrypt a conax official card but I do know that the Ice will not. The Ice is advertised on the 'Don't Panic' channel (why is it called that?) so purchasing it seems perfectly legal to me. As for programming it, I'm not sure about the vagaries, only where to obtain the updates. I don't have any knowledge of the MM II, Nickolai but would be interested if you have.

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
According to adds in whatsat mag The Green ICE cam will be available in Sept/Oct and will have 4 H/C channels.

J

jamidonuts

Hi guys I am new to the hobby and bought a MM Having all probs. I got bin files and Mastera 4 with gold & Silver Cards. Do I have to change Bin to Hex for card to work. Love the hobby but utterly lost.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, convert to hex files, or you can find them on Phill's, see Nobbly's big links list.

Burnt Chips

Overclocker Supreme & General Mad B*st*rd
Reaction score
My Location
sunny manchester (i wish )
As far as i understand it (up till now the ICE ver of cams, all pay an amount to the provider as a form of subscription) What you can do with the CAM after that "is the GREY AREA". Now the "much awaited Green ice" with 4 NEW xxx mature content Channels
wont be so legal ?. Only four XXX mature content channels i know "that aint hacked are the Satisfaction Channel group" VIA2 (as IRDETO2 aint hacked) So cant see these being subscrition (as cards range from £130 each channel). But a lot of rumors flying about "at the moment" most ive had confermed elsewhere, and MM`S, HUMMIES, and likewise could soon be dinosaurs, To sit next to D2MAC boxs.

>COR<

Reaction score
My Location
Sneek, HOLLAND
Hi,

Think this will not happen so fast.
As original MM it will go on for a long time doing 6 in 1 files.
With the CAS interface it is easily reprogrammed to MR, and works fine.
Due to the better quality of chips the magic works fine here in Matrix Reload moe 1.03.

No time yet for the MM to be on the stack of redundant equipment...

CHeers,
Cor.

Burnt Chips

Overclocker Supreme & General Mad B*st*rd
Reaction score
My Location
sunny manchester (i wish )
>COR< said:
Hi,

Think this will not happen so fast.
As original MM it will go on for a long time doing 6 in 1 files.
With the CAS interface it is easily reprogrammed to MR, and works fine.
Due to the better quality of chips the magic works fine here in Matrix Reload moe 1.03.

No time yet for the MM to be on the stack of redundant equipment...

CHeers,
Cor.
HI COR M8, Put it this way "WOULD YOU GO OUT AND BUY "a new £140
MM, or is there plenty above this in the queue,

>COR<

Reaction score
My Location
Sneek, HOLLAND
Well,

In the UK they may be that price , here 125 euro's is more normal m8.
So, the mainland is a lot cheaper and more people will buy them for that price since the clones are not that much cheaper too.

And as MR the magic can work for the next year nicely m8, have 2 running here, testing them and now waiting for 1.04 software to be put on them.

What is the alternative? ice crypt cams, doing the same as the magic with 6 in 1 cards, and a few xxx channels , not a real winner too.

Dragon cam? not since the first bach was recalled for broken welds and in 95% of the recievers incompatible, and now the N*S is not on them, just another ice clone.

SO, no real new cams out there, and with a CAS interface i have at least full control over the magic/matrix/clone cams.

CHeers M8,

Cor.