Magic Eye Help

siena_us

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I had my magic eye working without a problem but then we switched TVs (moved the Philips we were using to our room and now have the Sony in the lounge (main TV is in our family room). I hooked up the magic eye, found an empty channel, set the channel to the correct one in the installer setup and I get the picture BUT I don't get any sound. Just a bunch of static.

Any ideas how to fix this?

TIA
Cristina

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Check firstly that the sound standard is set to PAL I in the TV tuning menu.

siena_us

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I assume the TV works in PAL only (bought in ITaly) and I used it to watch SKY (not through the magic eye but normal via the digibox) up until we got the new TV. I checked with the menu features on the TV and do not have a place to set it to anything else.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Italy uses the PAL system - problem is it's PAL B/G, so I'm afraid it's incompatibla audio-wise with UK PAL I.

TV's can be converted if there is no means to do it via a menu, you could ask a TV engineer if this is possible with your set.

Llew

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Most recent tvs are "worldwide", and should decode all the PAL analogue audio standards (obviously not NICAM!), switching is usually done in the installer setup menu. To get this on a particular tv, some websites have the codes listed, try Googling for it! But a few TVs need a "special" remote control, in which case you're stuck (but could consider a video sender instead!).

siena_us

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My TV is about 6 years old and is not multistandard as I found out when I called the Sony service center here.

Can you explain what a video sender is?

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
siena_us said:
My TV is about 6 years old and is not multistandard as I found out when I called the Sony service center here.

Can you explain what a video sender is?

Sorry, Siena, but it seemed worth mentioning.

A videosender is a 2 box gadget (both boxes need constant mains power, but usually use only a few Watts!), the sender takes the video from a SCART cable and legally transmits it typically up to 70 feet on 2.4 GHZ, then you plug the receiver into a remote tv set SCART socket. Many also have reverse signalling, so you can use a remote control back to the sat/freeview receiver. Effectively, does the same as eye link, except stereo sound is taken from the SCART, by-passing any PAL sound carrier compatibility problems.

How well this works depends on link distance, and whether there might be any local radio interference (increasingly common!), but the results can be quite good.

Prices are typically from 30 pounds cheapest, up to maybe 100 for expensive ones, for which you can buy multiple receivers (for several remote tv sets). Argos have a selection in their catalogue. Or, just Google "video sender" for makes, prices, etc.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You could always see if your video (VCR) is multi standard, if it is, then connect by scart from the digibox, set the video on AV input and then loop it through the digibox and tune to the video channel.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
Thanks Rolfw, I forgot all about that, and it would cost nothing!