magic eye power

handyman 44

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky digibox also technomate tm 1000 ci
motorised 80 cm dish
My Location
norwich "up the city" down the ipswich
hi i have technomate tm 1000 ci receiver .i want to run coax from rf output to another room with magic eye . but there is no power output on the rf output .i also have sky digi box nexst to the technomate . could i use the line power from rf 2 on the sky reciever and loop it through the technomate rf in and out .to power the magic eye. would i also be able to control both recievers from the magic eye with the relevent remote controls. or could it cause some damage i do know u can buy dc current inveters .but this would be the cheapest option if any one has tried this please let me know.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If it is a Sky magic Eye/TV Link, then it is only compatible with the digibox, the signal pulses are received via RF Outlet 2.

There are non-Sky units available now by most of the manufacturers and these have IR transmitters at the receiver end like this one.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
The Global "link plus" system allows non-Sky equipment to use the "link" system for cable video distribution with remote control.

Also, Maplin do the SLX version of the same thing (Sky "eye link""), the various bits are available from their shops.

Grandata also do SLX version, much cheaper, and a very good value discount kit with everything you need (£22 for everything, including 3 eye links, but ex postage!):

Go www.grandata.co.uk , then select "catalogue", then select "audio video accessories", it's 1st item that page.

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
I've got the one listed on the Grandata site (strange site, couldn't find any info on my Granny!)

Works a charm (the OmniLINK that is, not my Granny!)

It even uses the power from a Sky digibox so you don't have to use the AC adapter.

mikk

Reaction score
So do the tellys have to be linked by coax for this to work? I have run a cable from the component output (red/white/yellow jackplugs) on the back of (non sky) ci receiver to the av connections on the front of the tv in the other room-think they are usually used for camcorders? I thought the infra red remote signal was transferred through the air/walls, not down the cable?

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Yes, you do need coax for the "eye link" system to work.

(infra red won't go through walls!).

If cables are not acceptable, the alternative is a video sender, one with a reverse channel (for the remote control).

mikk

Reaction score
Thanks spiney, I have a Thomson video sender that transfers the signal from the sat receiver to a portable in the bedroom, it works ok but I dont think it has a reverse channel? just 4 channel options operated by a 4-way switch underneath the sender and receiver units? Is the above kind of set up the only option- my cordless keyboard and mouse works fine though its in a different room to the pc tower and not in sight of it,I thought there may be something that worked (wireless) in the same way that a video sender works, but just transfered the remote control signal?

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
Yes, there are videosenders for just the remote control signals. But, they're around the same price as a videosender with reomte control "reverse channel" included, so you might as well buy one of those.

See Argos, Maplin, etc .....

mikk

Reaction score
I've just unearthed an old Rabbit sender and receiver(T-7000P) that I forgotton I had.It appears to have been made in '87 but does not use scart fittings.On the back of the transmitter(that plugs into the mains) it has audio in left & right ports(rca/jack type fittings), 'video in from vcr' and bare wire push in type connecters that connect mini-thin wire to the receiver in the other room, and a wire out the back with a small 'glass eye' on the end that says 'to the I/R emitter. On the receiver an ariel input and 'out put to tv' and an 'output to tv program selector' switch (tv/vcr), and mini-wire in/out clamps. There is also a uhf channel adjust screw.There are no instuctions and I am not sure if there is something missing. Am I correct in thinking this is a wireless system and the I/R wire is for transmitting the remote signal?, but if it is then the ariel input would be on the transmitter and not the receiver.CONFUSED! Any help would be appreciated.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
I've found this on Rabbit: www.theinquirer.net/?article=5190 .

(but it's a bit vague!).

Sounds like it sends a CVBS signal along what's basically telephone wire (yes, you CAN do that!), with maybe a reverse channel for remote control signals, but as to how that bit works ......

UHF channel is just a re-modulator, so that the video goes into a tv aerial socket.

RCA jacks instead of SCART means it's basically a North American device, but it might work fine with PAL format signals ...

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
Sorry, hang on .......

The Rabbit would just "pass through" baseband video and audio, so IN THEORY, if not faulty, it ought to work with either NTSC or PAL ....

Unfortunately, SCART plugs have 2 CVBS video pins (in and out), and 2 sets of stereo audio pins (also in and out). What you'd have to do is make 2 different RCA (phono plug) to SCART leads, having the right pin connections, which requires a soldering iron. Simple job, if you can do it.

mikk

Reaction score
Thanks again spiney,I get the jist of what your saying but at the risk of appearing thick, you kinda lost me at the end! I'm not bad with a soldering iron but if its not too much trouble, could you talk me through the job, ie. spell it out!
ps, I have a pal/cvbs option on the sat receiver (cvbs just increases brightness/itensisty of the picture ?)

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
Right - hang on - big reply is a-comming ......

Note that, I don't have any details at all on the Rabbit! So, what I say about it is "informed assumptions", but I don't see how it could work in any other way ......

This SHOULD work, but no guarantee is given that it WILL .....

(Of course, we're also assuming the Rabbit parts are not faulty!).

OK, then ........

CVBS = "combined video baseband signal" . That is, the "straightforward" luminance (black and white) signal occupying 0-6 MHz, and also the two chrominance (U,V) signals modulated onto the colour subcarrier (somewhere around 4.4 MHz). This is how a complete colour tv picture is sent on just 1 wire (or pin), regardless of whether PAL, NTSC, or even SECAM .....

This is the basic analogue colour tv signal, how it's actually transmitted! But, with digital, Y,U,V are sent separately, and the picture's nicer if we can use them like this, instead of re-mixing them back together first (each of the 3 signals occupies a separate 6 MHz bandwidth, instead of being mixed together)!

Hence, where a SCART socket exists, most TV sets give a signal input option of 3 wire Y, U, V (or that "re-matrixed" as R, G, :cool:, with the single wire input CVBS available as a "poor 2nd choice".
(Using 3 wires also has the advantage that the diferent analogue colour system incompatabilities are avoided, so for example you can feed Y,U,V from a Sky Digibox straight into a SECAM French tv set).

Note that SCART leads are bi-directional. So you've got CVBS (one wire) and Y,U,V (3 wires) going in BOTH directions, as well as stereo (2 channel, 2 wires) audio in BOTH directions, that's why there's so many pins!

OK, then, the Y,U,V system is "preferred" for the best picture. However, when a videosender is used (whether by wires or radio), the "preferred" Y,U,V method would need 3 separate "channels". Which would require either 3 radio links or 3 coaxial cables. Impractical, hence the single channel CVBS method is universally used in videosenders.

However, the videosender is just a "pipe", it doesn't modify the signal format in any way! Hence, what's sent via CBVS may be PAL or NTSC or SECAM (with their slightly different incompatible formats). The important thing is - at the receiving end - to use a tv reveiver which can decode that particular format. For example, A Freeview receiver will output PAL format on the SCART CVBS pin, so the tv set used at the other end of the videosender link must also be a PAL one (the same applies to NTSC, SECAM, etc .....).

All the Rabbit does - basically - is send the single CVBS video signal - along with 2 audio channels - down a single pair of wires (presumably, the video is sent "as is" - with black level clamping at the receiver to restore dc - and the audio would be a simple am system?).

Although we're more used to coax, sending baseband video down telephone wire is reasonably ok, although CAT5 (twisted pair) cable gives higher immunity to outside interference.

Anyway, with USA type (RCA) phono plug connectors, at both transmitter and receiver you should have 3 plugs, 1 for the CVBS video, 2 for L/R audio. What you have to do is is connect these to the corresponding pins on two SCART plugs. Then - if all is ok and with luck -the whole thing should work.

Look up the SCART pin connections on a diagram (use google, maybe enter words "scart wiki"?).

Make 3-wire lead no 1; phono plugs to SCART CVBS/audioL/audioR IN. Make 3-wire lead no 2; phono plugs to SCART CVBS/audioL/audioR OUT. If these leads don't work, try swapping them round! Don't forget to connect the ground pins, though only 1 ground connection is really needed. If using telephone cable, that's 6 conductors, which is enough.

The SCART leads you might get from Argos usually have the plugs "moulded on". So, either buy SCART plugs from a components shop like Maplin, or if you can find a "Pound Shop" their very cheap SCART leads are easily dismantled.

PS, this is NOT guaranteed ....

PPS, a cheap videosender costs about £30 .......

Phew, I'm off for a drink!

dave821

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
SS2/Hotbird
Sky Digital
JVC DR-MX10 vhs/dvd/hdd
My Location
Scotland
Skip Channel said:
I've got the one listed on the Grandata site (strange site, couldn't find any info on my Granny!)

Works a charm (the OmniLINK that is, not my Granny!)

It even uses the power from a Sky digibox so you don't have to use the AC adapter.

Would a sky digibox have enough to power the omnilink aswell as a tvlink T120 amplifier and still be able to control 2/3 devices?!