Magicsat not locking on to Astra 28,2E

Helidave

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Magicsat 2002
65cm motorised dish installed on boat.
My Location
Nottingham
I have a Magicsat 2002 control unit with a 65cm motorised dish and quad LMB linked to a Freesat receiver and Sky receiver. The Magicsat has stopped locking on to Astra 28,2E. It will lock on to other satellites. I have fitted a new LMB just in case. It is finding Astra 28,2,E, maximises the signal but when it checks the satellite, it must think it is the wrong satellite because it then starts searching again.
I have checked the position of the dish with a small portable dish and the signal strength with a meter.
I have the manual but there is nothing in there about how it knows which satellite it is locked on to.
Any ideas please? Thanks

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Welcome Dave.

Have you tried a factory reset of the control unit, it may clear the fault. Understand they have pre-programmed satellites available so shouldn't lose after the reset.

Helidave

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Magicsat 2002
My Location
Nottingham
A factory reset would probably be a good idea but there is nothing about it in the manual so I don't know how to do it I am afraid.
If I could get into the satellite location data, I might be able to fix it but there is nothing about that in the manual either. It is perfect with Astra 19,2E but seems to completely miss Astra 28,2E now.

Helidave

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Magicsat 2002
My Location
Nottingham
I have found how to gain access to the satellite setup data. For anyone who follows this, On Protected or Locked Menu, key in 8888 and a new menu will appear that allows you to see the satellite general positioning information and the LNB Criteria.
It apparently changed a couple of years ago but I have checked my data and it appears correct but I have posted a request to check that my Frequency / Polarisation / Signal and Modes are correct. Again, for anyone that follows, at present, mine are set to:
Freq Polar Signal Mode
1 12129 V YES Digital
2 10729 V NO Analogue
3 11322 V NO Analogue
4 12188 H YES Digital
5 - - - V - - - Analog

PGB

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Teleco Magic Sat 2002A in Camping Car with 85cm dish this is connected to a Sky digibox.
My Location
Expat in France
This is very strange as I cannot now receive Astra 2D (Sky). It stopped finding the correct location about a week ago. I have used the 8888 code and the settings are the same as Helidave's post. Has Astra changed the settings??????

Helidave

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Magicsat 2002
My Location
Nottingham
I am in touch with support at Scan-Terieur who have been helpful, but without success so far. I have been given 2 options for Criteria 4.
One is:
11426 V YES Digital
Two is:
12188 H YES Digital
Neither have worked for me but I will post any updates that I receive from them.
After entering new data. Press Memo to get it to store them. Clear previous positions. Put down dish and turn off system before trying again.

PGB

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Teleco Magic Sat 2002A in Camping Car with 85cm dish this is connected to a Sky digibox.
My Location
Expat in France
Thanks for that. But how do you clear previous positions?
I will be phoning Telco today to see if they know the answer to this problem.

Helidave

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Magicsat 2002
My Location
Nottingham
There is an option on the main menu. Under Clock events is Sat Finder (SAT position erase) If you choose this option, it says erasing positions (briefly) then returns to the menu. I was also told to turn the system off by use of the green wire which is also supposed to wipe previous positions (touch it to a positive connection). Our sat is installed on our boat so the green wire is not connected. On a motor home, it is wired to the ignition switch so that when the ignition is turned on, the satellite dish comes down and turns off and apparently wipes the previous positions.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Any chance you can post a couple of pictures? This may even be a skew issue after the LNB change. Cable should leave the LNB at about the 7 o'clock position when viewed from in front of the dish.

Helidave

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Magicsat 2002
My Location
Nottingham
Thank you for the offer of help. The problem is definitely with the Magicsat 2002A not recognising that it is seeing Astra 28E. I have proved that by setting up an old small magnetic dish next to the Mobile dish and aligned that with Astra 28. Then mobilised the magicsat. When it got to looking in the same direction as the small dish, it says seaching, then checking (when it checks that it has the correct satellite). I then turned its power off while it was checking and used the feed from the dish to my Freesat receiver and the reception was fine. I need to fix the Magicsat though or I will be reduced to using the old tiny dish which drove me insane on occasions trying to align it :-)

PGB

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Expat in France
Hi Helidave

I do have the same problem and I agree that it is to do with the Magicsat 2002A. I does not seem to lock onto the correct Satellite ie, Astra 28E. I am wondering if the signal from Astra 28E has changed, as I can get all of the other Satellites. Problem is that they are not English..

I have tried to phone Telco in the UK this morning, but the Technical guy is not in today, so I will try again tomorrow.

Has any one else got this problem?

PS. I found the Sat position erase. but this has not helped.

Helidave

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Magicsat 2002
My Location
Nottingham
The latest idea is to set Criteria 4 to --- This is to avoid it looking for that criteria to determine if it is looking at Astra 28.

After 2 hours of fiddling and it not working, it eventually did but I am not prepared to try it again just yet as I needed a stiff drink afterwards!

It was clear that "Erase satellite positions" does not work. After changing any settings, I found that I must put positive to the green wire (on a motorhome, turn on your ignition and if it is wired correctly, the dish will come down) and it will wipe the old positional information.

It did some weird things in the process including saying it was locked on to Astra when it was 90 degrees out!

I am still not convinced that I have the answer so am awaiting news from the UK agent. Will keep you posted.

PGB

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Expat in France
I have received an email from UK Agent with following setup details. I have carried this out to the letter, but still no joy.
Just to repeat my problem. I can get all the other Satellites except Astra 28. This stopped working about 3 weeks ago.

How to modify the criteria of Astra 28 Satellite on the Magicsat 2002A system using the remote control only

1) Switch on the system
2) When the antenna starts to move press the stop key to stop the antenna
3) Press the menu key to get the main menu screen
4) Move the cursor up to the ‘Locked Menu’ position and press the ‘1’ key 4 times to unlock the menus
5) Press the ‘8’ key 4 times to obtain the hidden ‘Magicsat menu’.
6) Move the cursor to ‘research criteria’ and press menu to select.
7) Move the cursor to ‘Sat name’ and use the left and right cursor keys to find ‘Astra 28’
8) Move the cursor to ‘Criteria’ and select number ‘1’ check all 5 criteria against the following table and modify as necessary.

Criteria Frequency Pol. Signal Mode
1 12129 MHZ V Y Digital
2 10729 MHZ V N Analog
3 11322 MHZ V N Analog
4 12188 MHZ H Y Digital
5 •••

9) Note. Any changes necessary are only performed using the left/right cursor keys. They can not be added using the number pad.
10) As long as Criteria 5 has 3 dots shown in the ‘Signal’ position the other data for this criteria does not matter.
11) Once all the data has been checked/modified, press the ‘memo’ key. You will get a message on the screen saying ‘Data Stored’
12) Exit from all menu’s.
13) Once you are back to the main menu move the cursor back to the ‘locked menu’ position and press the ‘1’ key 4 times. This will re-lock the menu’s.
14) Close the dish down by pressing the ‘down’ key. Once this is completed you have now stored the new data.
15) Restart the Magicsat and it will now search using this new data.

Hope someone out there has the answer

Peter B

PGB

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Expat in France
I have just had another try, with no luck. The dish seems to be locked onto another satellite as it is pointing higher into the sky that it use to. The signal test on the Sky box shows:
Signal Strength about 80%
Signal Quality about 70%
Lock Indicator OK
Network ID 013e
Transport Stream 1450

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It is locked onto 13 East

PGB

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Expat in France
VERY GOOD NEWS

I have changed the settings of the MagicSat box, to look for Satellite 15. This is at 28E NE, and it now finds Sky. They must have changed it from Satellite 11 within the last month. This was 28E SE.

Good luck

Peter

Boatahome

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Teleco Magicsat 50 cm. 2002A connected to Pace Javelin Sky Box on a 62' Narrowboat all working on 12 volts and a Teleco Magicsat 65 cm 2002A connected to Pace Javelin Sky Box in a Frankia I8000BD Motorhome all working 12 volts also.
My Location
England
Helidave & PGB I will be very interested to see the outcome of this problem as I have a Teleco Magisat 2002A fitted in my Narrowboat & Motorhome and both refuse to find Astra 28.2 after working perfecly for 6 years in the motorhome & 3 years in the boat. I also have been in touch with the UK agents and have implemented the criteria changes with no joy, in fact it is worse now, at least it locked on to something before that was not Astra 28.2 now it will not lock onto anything it just keeps searching. I find it inconceivable that someone at Teleco or their agents do not seem to have an answer to this as thousands of these units must have been sold and currently are in use and if like us must have problems. I am out on the boat at the moment so have time to "play", if I have any luck I will post the results, I also look forward to any positive results from other forum users.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
@ Boatahome

Did you specifically take note of Post #16 ?

PGB

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Expat in France
PGB said:
VERY GOOD NEWS

I have changed the settings of the MagicSat box, to look for Satellite 15. This is at 28E NE, and it now finds Sky. They must have changed it from Satellite 11 within the last month. This was 28E SE.

Good luck

Peter[/QUOTE

If you don't know how to do this, I will post a detailed procedure. Please let me know in you next posts if it has worked for you.
Peter.

Boatahome

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Teleco Magicsat 50 cm. 2002A connected to Pace Javelin Sky Box on a 62' Narrowboat all working on 12 volts and a Teleco Magicsat 65 cm 2002A connected to Pace Javelin Sky Box in a Frankia I8000BD Motorhome all working 12 volts also.
My Location
England
Thanks for the reply, I have implemented all the changes to 28.2 SE (Sat 11) & 28.2 NE (Sat 15) but unfortunately am currently moored in a tree lined area so cannot try to see Astra 28.2,
I will be moving off later in the week and will report back when I have some news, I am sure I have the correct method of changing the criteria but please post the method you changed yours so I can double check and it may be also useful to others if or when they have this problem. Look forward to your posting. Regards Boatahome.