Majority say tax disc makes it easy to cheat

N

net1

Most drivers would support a radical shake-up of motoring taxes which would see all tax going on fuel, according to an RAC survey.

It found 64% of motorists believe that if motoring taxes were simplified by putting all tax on fuel, it would shake up the current "antiquated" system.

It would also make today's tax cheats pay up by charging them on the point of use and according to how much they drive.

The survey found 38% of motorists considered the tax disc to be wholly outdated, with the majority stating that it made the system easy to cheat.

And 54% oppose satellite-tracking road-user charging for passenger cars, while suggestions for a daily road user charge, on to which tax would be added, would be opposed by 71%.

Only 54% of motorists were confident they knew how much their annual fuel bill totalled. In reality, the average motorist spends £964 a year on fuel.

The RAC said that even if motoring costs and taxes were increased by £1,500 per annum, only 30% of drivers would definitely switch to an alternative transport method.

Road-user charging applied to foreign trucks would be supported by 67%, while 62% would support it if it could detect and prosecute dangerous speeders.

What happens to the money was also a factor - 58% would support the scheme if proceeds were spent on improving the roads, and 57% would support it if it led to a permanent reduction in road tax and fuel duty.

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Protek 9750 HD IP, Spiderbox 9000HD. Cryptik Digital H-H Mount with1.2m Oval Dish and a box in the garage consisting of 2 obsolete STBs, various Cards and a couple of cams!
My Location
South East England
Well I totally oppose any new scheme placing extra tax on fuel when already the government taxes fuel at around 60%..this scheme would then make it even easier for illegal road user's to use their vehicles more without being detected for having no insurance etc, as we all know that when we tax a vehicle a current insurance and M.O.T certifcates are required. At least with the current system the Police can easily identify if someone is possibly driving illegal, also vehicles without a current tax disk are now being removed where they are parked and being used on a public highway, and quite a few are not being claimed due to the fact the owner probably was not within the law!. The only answer I can see is that the current govenment and it's Predecessor failed to keep up with the times by not increasing the numbers of the Police force with an increasing population. The reason we now have speed Cameras is because clearly the roads cannot be patrolled as they were twenty years ago. To add further tax to fuel and to eliminate the disc as we all know it will cause a landslide of illegal drivers and offences that will never be solved and those of us whom who bide by the law will then have to compensate the insurance companys by paying a much increased premium to cover increased 'Hit and Run Drivers'! etc.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
By all means get rid of the tax disc but don'tput any more tax onto fuel, we're already the most taxed country in Europe on this.

I think that it would be a good idea to have mandatory car insurance stickers showing whether the vehicle is insured or not. There is a system like this in operation in France where they have virtually done away with road tax.

I heard on the news today that motorists will probably have to pay an extra £60 next year to fund the damage caused by uninsured drivers. This would make it easier to spot them.

PaulR

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Protek 9750 HD IP, Spiderbox 9000HD. Cryptik Digital H-H Mount with1.2m Oval Dish and a box in the garage consisting of 2 obsolete STBs, various Cards and a couple of cams!
My Location
South East England
PaulR said:
By all means get rid of the tax disc but don'tput any more tax onto fuel, we're already the most taxed country in Europe on this.

I think that it would be a good idea to have mandatory car insurance stickers showing whether the vehicle is insured or not. There is a system like this in operation in France where they have virtually done away with road tax.

I heard on the news today that motorists will probably have to pay an extra £60 next year to fund the damage caused by uninsured drivers. This would make it easier to spot them.

PaulR

Yes I would agree to a system such as the one you mentioned paul....my feelings are though the government will not abolish the Tax disc as they would lose too much revenue. We all know why this country is taxed so much, one of the reasons I cannot mention on here!..and there is only so much the regular hardworking P.A.Y.E British citizen can take as beleive or not, they are becoming fewer!

Burnt Chips

Overclocker Supreme & General Mad B*st*rd
Reaction score
My Location
sunny manchester (i wish )
Balls to that "you group of whinge`rs" that meens i`d have to get my syphon outta mothballs "as out for nowt has always been my policy" plus think off all the coppers you would put out of work, who couldn`t catch a cold "if i didnt have an expiry date on it.

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East England
LOL....syphoning neat 'Tax' would taste worse that petrol i think! :D