Manhattan Diseq Motor 1.2 Product No : HH140ALU

Brownhill

Reaction score
Any members have experience of this unit ? Have been told this motor is ok for
my Triax 1.1m dish. Will this unit be compatible with my Force 1122s receiver ?
Is this another cloned STAB motor ?

Comments would be welcome.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
I think 1.1M is the absolute max for this type of motor. No exposed dishes at this size unless you want problems!

Be careful of the 'labelling'. I looked at a similar motor on ebay. 140ALU refers to a 1.4M aluminium dish. This seems to be labelled this way so 'out-spec' the 120 motors. Another con really. How many people have an ally dish as opposed to steel? I'd say that 1.4M ally probably equals 1.2M steel.

1.2M solid steel is optimistic on these motors.

Brownhill

Reaction score
Thanks for your prompt reply. Yes my 1.1m Triax is at the extreme of limits for
the Manhattan motor. Used a Stab 120 which lasted 4 years ! 2 years with 80m
and 2 years with the 1.1mTriax.

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini OP 125 L, Smart Titanium lnb with CD-80 feedhorn, Moteck SG-2500, Azbox HD Premium+, some 5 meters of good quality coax
My Location
Sweden
The wind pressure is more important,for example the Gibertini 100 has a load of 91 kg:s at 120 kmh windspeed.The Gibertini op 120 has a load of 145 kg:s at 120 kmh and that's a lot!

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
I'd either get another STAB, or a Moteck SG2100 then. I think the Manhattan looks cheap and nasty, but then looks can be deceptive, and the ones on eBay really are cheap at £60 delivered from the UK...

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini OP 125 L, Smart Titanium lnb with CD-80 feedhorn, Moteck SG-2500, Azbox HD Premium+, some 5 meters of good quality coax
My Location
Sweden
The Moteck SG-2100 has served me well for almost a year now with a Gibertini 100 so I can recommend it.Never had a Stab but I don't trust the construction with the rod up.Would guess water will leak into the motor after a while.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
steffan_st said:
The wind pressure is more important,for example the Gibertini 100 has a load of 93 kg:s at 100 kmh windspeed.The Gibertini op 120 has a load of 143 kg:s at 100 kmh and that's a lot!
I assume that these are dishes your talking about?

I agree that wind loading is a more important factor than weight, but I'm assuming that the wind loading tests performed on dishes refer to fixed mountings. I also think that an attached diseqc motor would probably fail before the dish or dish mounting. I've been reading some wind loading tests on the Triax 1.1 dishes recently. The tests were actually rubbish, but still worth a read.

_http://www.satmax.ws/contentproductspecs.htm#Test%20on%20Dishes

I'd like to see some destructive lab tests on motors.

I also think that we're well overdue for a real heavy duty, well made diseqc motor, regardless of how slow it is. Forget the worm drive, and lets have a proper gearbox. :)

AForester

01LD1E
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
a variety of lnb's (5), dishes (2), diseqc motors (3) and receivers (4).
My Location
East of Cambridge (GB).
@ BGonaSTICK

Re your statement " How many people have an ally dish as opposed to steel?" Answer, me!
I have a 85cm Gibertini, a 98cm Funke and a 1.25m Gibertini.
I cannot fault them, they are easier to handle, and the SG2100 deals with them ok. Set up in a rather sheltered position and low to the ground and not near the sea.
BTW I'm a retired Sat Comms Research Engineer Starting at Goonhilly with Telstar and finishing at Betzdoff with Astra 1, so I have had some experience in useing different materials for dishes.
AF

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
AForester said:
finishing at Betzdoff with Astra 1

Bet you can tell a few stories about the early day of the SES Luxembourg satellite launches.

Any chance?

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
AForester said:
@ BGonaSTICK

Re your statement " How many people have an ally dish as opposed to steel?" Answer, me!
I have a 85cm Gibertini, a 98cm Funke and a 1.25m Gibertini.
I cannot fault them, they are easier to handle, and the SG2100 deals with them ok. Set up in a rather sheltered position and low to the ground and not near the sea.
BTW I'm a retired Sat Comms Research Engineer Starting at Goonhilly with Telstar and finishing at Betzdoff with Astra 1, so I have had some experience in useing different materials for dishes.
AF
Yeah, I remember that from one of your earlier posts. I love Goonhilly. It's a magical place. My kids loved the new visitor centre too. They had to throw us out at the end of the day!

I'd also love an ally dish, but they're just that much more expensive (which I guess at the end of the day is why most folks have steel dishes).

In fact, I looked at the ally version of the steel Triax 1.1m I've just bought.
Couldn't justify it really. :(

Brownhill

Reaction score
Yes I agree we are overdue a heavy duty diseq motor but we live a disposable society these days ! Manufactures would not be happy if we were only replacing these type of units every 10 years.

arcadian2002

Reaction score
BGonaSTICK said:
I'd either get another STAB, or a Moteck SG2100 then. I think the Manhattan looks cheap and nasty, but then looks can be deceptive, and the ones on eBay really are cheap at £60 delivered from the UK...
Hi all
I have just gotten back ito this arena after my old d2mac kit went down about 8yrs ago_One of my first purchases after my new koan reciever was the manhattan mount from an ebay seller@ £60.00, got loads of good feedback from those that had already purchased the mount.
Mine arrived within 48hrs of my purchase.

The good points are

very very much both lighter than my old satfinder mount that has swung my 1mtr steel dish around for 10yrs witout any problems, and also quietier in operation than the satfinder.
The unit has a very short moment arm so hopefully high wind pressure on the dish will not prove to be a big issue.And its tracking is fantastic.

The bad points

thier are goto east west buttons on the mount that are so difficult to use,
they are not buttons but two slightly pretrudeing needles that are both annoyingly difficult to access located behind the reciever coax input and their operation is not just a simple matter of push on and off.
the last frustration about its build is the east/west position arrow,this is only placed on the most northly point on the moment arm,even though east west scales are printed on both the mounts upper and lower faces around the arm. This could have been marked up by myself with hindsight,
but i never and as a result found myself on many occations having to scale my ladders above the hight of my mount too lean forward and squeeze my head between the mount and the back of my dish in order to check the east/west mount possition.

Once alighned to 1 deg west, the mount via my remote goto functions
easlily and accurately tracked the arc
All in all i give the mount the a thumbs up 8.5/10. Now i just need to get my head around the 'usal inputs for lang and long' how to settings!!!! yet another learning curve.!!!!

I hope this helps those who are concidering making this manhattan purchase.
Regards Arcadian2002