Manhattan Skyline 1000 FTA or Manhattan 5900?

T

testpie

Cheapskate
My Satellite Setup
Manhattan Skyline 1000 @ Astra 28.2E(ish)
My Location
North West
After looking on eBay, i found a Manhattan Skyline 1000 FTA, which has now ended, but i can acquire from the seller for £17 including delivery. However, it does not have a remote, and aftert contacting the only supplier i could find (eBay don't have any remotes for the model), i was told the remote would be £20.50 including postage - which is more than the receiver.

After a bit more research, i have come across a Manhattan 5900 receiver with a remote and box etc. for £43 including delivery. Now, obviously this model is technically better than the Skyline 1000 - being as it has an integrated U-CAS and 2 CAM slots, however, i have heard mixed reviews about it being difficult to patch and about the menu structure being crap.

Basically i just don't know which to choose - i am perfectly happy to use the buttons on the Skyline 1000 to change channels (although i am wondering if anybody knows if a One-4-All Kameleon would work with this box?) if it means not having to pay £20.50 for a remote; however, i haven't seen any patches for this receiver, so it would be purely FTA - but it would come in at just 40% the cost of the Manhattan 5900... Does anybody have any advice? :confused

rolfw

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It isn't so much whether you can change channel, it is more to do with whether you have the correct buttons to use the setup menus. :)

For £80 or so, you can get a brand new Technomate or similar which is flashable and will allow quite a lot of viewing. :)

T

testpie

Cheapskate
My Satellite Setup
Manhattan Skyline 1000 @ Astra 28.2E(ish)
My Location
North West
rolfw said:
It isn't so much whether you can change channel, it is more to do with whether you have the correct buttons to use the setup menus. :)

For £80 or so, you can get a brand new Technomate or similar which is flashable and will allow quite a lot of viewing. :)
A quick check of the Skyline 1000 manual shows a "Menu" button, directional keypad and "OK" button on the front of the receiver - so i'd assume you can do almost everything from those (http://www.manhattan-receivers.com/uploads/skyline1000manual.pdf).

As for the Technomate, i have heard that they are very good, but £80 is out of my price range unfortunately, but thanks all the same for the suggestion.

C

caretaker

keep away from any manhattan for the moment,I have had three different receivers,they are ok for a few months then they start losing channels,and booting up takes longer and longer,the one i have at the moment [starlight]has been booting up for nine hours and still not comming on,I will have to look for another manufacturer,instead of manhattan