Manhattan Starlight 6900/STB Editor Problem

inabsentia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Echostar 3000IP VIA, Skystar2 PCI c/w ProgDVB 4.85, Pace & Onn Terrestrial PVR's
My Location
North West
Had the receiver a couple of years now- it got the dreaded NOCH problem shortly after it was new, but it was fixed quickly and has worked flawlessly ever since. I've kept manually updating the transponder lists and re-scanning every couple of months to keep everythign up to date.

However, at weekend I hit a problem where the channels would scan but not update- did a factory reset and that has reset the transponder list to the default one which is now almost 3 years old. Looking at what is missing, it would take me ages to get it back to the state it was in before.

So I tried the STB Editor Manhattan has on it's website for this receiver. I remember briefly playing with it when I first got the box, but because if it's limitations, never bothered with it again, but I thought it would be ok for updating the transponder lists.

Installed it just fine, connected with null modem cable, downloaded the .img file just fine (STB>FILE) then tried to open that in the editor, It goes through 4 checks prior to opening, the first three run through just fine, but after holding on the 4th one, I get an error message 'APPLICATION HALT' and the STB editor disappears.

I started the STB Editor again and just to test to see if it was a problem with the connection, I fired the .img file I'd just downloaded back into the box-and that went perfectly.

So, the problem seems to be with the software itself - I've mailed Manhattan and they've mailed me back saying 'It's not a known issue' and given me some tips (which, to be fair, I'd already done).

Anyone else encountered this? I'm running on XP, and assume that isn't causing it any problems (The software is dated 2002).

I've done some digging and it seems the STB Editor is from a company called Eaglesoft - I noticed on another site that there was a V2.0 of the software listed (it's v1.3 on the Manhattan site), but I can't get into Eaglesoft's website to download it-anyone know anywhere I could get this from off the net?

Any thoughts tyou have-please share 'em!!

inabsentia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Echostar 3000IP VIA, Skystar2 PCI c/w ProgDVB 4.85, Pace & Onn Terrestrial PVR's
My Location
North West
Just an update on the above - I found the STB Editor V2 , and it is slightly different to the one on the Manhattan site- but sadly, the same problem, expect that the file does actually load into the editor - it gives a check on the number of channels, sats and transponders, but when you try to close that window, the dreaded 'APPLICATION HALT' appears and the program disappears.

I notice that on the the serial tools options, there is a drop down box (Upload Setting)where you get several options of what you want to upload - one of which is transponder data -so I wonder if it is possible to 'just' upload new transponder data??

M1JWR

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
Manhattan Plaza st550,
1.2m prodelin offset dish,
12in jack/echostar polar mount,
invacom c120 lnb/channel master feedhorn
My Location
The Debatable Lands
I found the stb editor is good for two things
1. When updating the software you can save your currant channel lists/settings etc to a file and load back to the starlight afterwards.
2. you can make a file of tp/sat/channel lists etc yourself from scratch and load onto the stb
Other than that its crap
Better than the plaza st's they havent got one at all and when ocasionally the software upgrade requires a master reset your up the creek without a paddle.

inabsentia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
Someone checked the file I was downloading from the STB and it wouldn't open on their STB Editor- he did send me his own file-which, of course, opened PERFECTLY in mine, so what the problem is, God alone knows!!

I got around it by updating his transponders with the ones from Satcodx, then I uploaded the amended file into my box-reset everything and I'm mid channel download, so -of a fashion - I got it working!!!