Maplin"B" Grade

portly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Bush freesat hd box, iss 70cm dish,single passion lnb , goodmans GDB15HD freeview box
My Location
heathrow
Hi im not sure if this is the right place to post this , but here goes.
Maplins have sent me a fs4200 as ordered a "B" grade.Now does a b grade come with everything a new box would? because im missing 2 batteries and a scart cable if so.Secondly the remote was open on one side, and ive tried batteries in it ,and the led light dosnt work , which makes me suspicious, and if you look through the vent slots i can see a bunch of wires touching a transformer:-Nooo now i dont consider that safe:eek:add to that the warrantry card is dated 30 nov 2007 so that dosnt give me much time ,not that it would be any good as the the seal sticker is broken anyway:mad:
Unfortunatly i havnt got a dish up yet so i cant test the box or remote, so would you recommened taking it back to maplins for a refund? have i been mugged?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You can test the remote without a dish in place, just see if it can work the menu system.

The B grade stock can often have things missing.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
No you have mugged yourself, what do you think a 'B' grade is? It is an item which has already been sold and returned for an unknown reason and may have parts missing as indeed yours does. It should however be fit for the purpose for which it was sold therefore if the stb does not work then send it back. If you wanted something containing everything and a 12 month guarantee you should have paid more for an 'A' grade

portly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Bush freesat hd box, iss 70cm dish,single passion lnb , goodmans GDB15HD freeview box
My Location
heathrow
Thanks guys, but one is not made of money and maplins do give you a 12 month warranty and they say the items are checked by there engineers
Hopefully you will see by the photos what i mean:cool: if ive done it right

Attachments

• DSC00046.JPG
    DSC00046.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 121
  • DSC00047.JPG
    DSC00047.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 103

portly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
heathrow
This is what they say :
B-Grade includes used and unused returned items, end of line products, slightly marked or refurbished items.
To ensure peace of mind, each product comes with a full 12 month guarantee; having been fully tested by our team of in-house technicians.

And the remote dosnt work:confused

And the dish i was going to order is now out of stock :-doh! lifes a bitch sometimes:-rofl2

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
B grade is also returned items where they couldn't work it.

From the images, some service work has been done :)

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Hi,

You can check if the remote control works by looking at the IR emitter with a digital camera view screen, you should see a flashing white light.

If the receiver works OK, and it appears safe, I dont think having a scart cabe missing and 2 batteries is a problem. Vey cheap items anyway.

:)

portly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
heathrow
Robbo71 said:
Hi,

You can check if the remote control works by looking at the IR emitter with a digital camera view screen, you should see a flashing white light.

If the receiver works OK, and it appears safe, I dont think having a scart cabe missing and 2 batteries is a problem. Vey cheap items anyway.

:)
Thanks for the camera idea, as for the cable and batts, its a matter of princple:p if they arnt going to be in the box ,then they should say so, im not going to bow down and kiss there arse ,just because the box is cheap .im fed up with crappy customer service and con tricks used by companies in this country:mad:how much you pay has nothing to do with recieving faulty or goods not up to scratch.We have to stop appologizing for expecting quality service and products'O'

portly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
heathrow
satelliteman said:
B grade is also returned items where they couldn't work it.

From the images, some service work has been done :)

Shame the engineer couldnt use alittle common sense and route the wires away from the transformer, it may just fail ,on the other hand it could cause a fire and even death.Having worked in the manafacture of aircon units for for many a year .if i had routed wires like that i would have sacked myself.
Im now suffer from a disability so all money is tight, so i have to make sure what i do get is value for money and goes along way, hence why i went for b grade and not some expensive box, im still looking for a dish and the sky 60cm still seems to be the best bargain :-doh2 if i can find one:-rofl2

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
portly said:
Thanks for the camera idea, as for the cable and batts, its a matter of princple:p if they arnt going to be in the box ,then they should say so, im not going to bow down and kiss there arse ,just because the box is cheap .im fed up with crappy customer service and con tricks used by companies in this country:mad:how much you pay has nothing to do with recieving faulty or goods not up to scratch.We have to stop appologizing for expecting quality service and products'O'

Yes, but you bought a B- grade! and batteries and scart are the type of things one would expect could be missing.:-rofl2

portly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
heathrow
Robbo71 said:
Yes, but you bought a B- grade! and batteries and scart are the type of things one would expect could be missing.:-rofl2

It dont state that:-cry1 in the smalll print:p

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
I have a few spare AAA batteries, I only paid 10p a pair for them, I could post them to you for free.:-rofl2

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Having been on the sales side of "B grade" items (PCs and Laptops mostly), what you bought is completely fair and as the "B-grade" description describes. All items will be checked, tested and repackaged and sold as they are with a 30 day warranty (at least, that's what we gave the PCs and laptops). Maplin do give you a 12 month guarantee though, so if something is genuinely faulty or develops a fault, then they should honour this guarantee... :)

And the small print ain't that small, just look at the big blue banner at the top of the page:

_http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=B%20GRADE&DOY=2m7

portly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
heathrow
Well chappies , thanks for the battery offer but one has loads of rechargable batts:-rofl2

1:I dont think a remote not working and the side was open on it
2: the wires in contact with a transformer. Hazard)(-red
3: no rca cable and batts,even customer service said they should have been inclued
4: the boxes warranty sticker was broken ,but no tested sticker applied, customer service said should have been
%: my email hasnt been answered
6:customer sevice were un-customer friendly and wouldnt give discount or help with replacing the item with another of equal or better design

I dont think that lot constitues there "b" grade description or safe tested appliance:-Nooo

So its gone back, i cant get another as there are no "B" grade left so i got a discount on a new one;).But have to wait 7-14 days for my refund:eek:

portly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
heathrow
2cvbloke said:
Having been on the sales side of "B grade" items (PCs and Laptops mostly), what you bought is completely fair and as the "B-grade" description describes. All items will be checked, tested and repackaged and sold as they are with a 30 day warranty (at least, that's what we gave the PCs and laptops). Maplin do give you a 12 month guarantee though, so if something is genuinely faulty or develops a fault, then they should honour this guarantee... :)

And the small print ain't that small, just look at the big blue banner at the top of the page:

_http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=B%20GRADE&DOY=2m7
12month guarantee
How are they going to know if there isnt a tested sticker on the back of the box , you could have buggered it yourself, how am i to know its safe:eek:

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
You obviously weren't happy with it and have done the right thing.:)

Not sure I would have gone back to them though, I assume you've gone elsewhere?

I think buying a B-grade item, unseen and unchecked judging from your experience is unwise, but it least you were able to reject the item under their guarantee. I certainly would not consider one from Maplin in the future, as they obviously don't take enough care to ensure that the item is fit for purpose.

portly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
heathrow
Robbo71 said:
You obviously weren't happy with it and have done the right thing.:)

Not sure I would have gone back to them though, I assume you've gone elsewhere?

I think buying a B-grade item, unseen and unchecked judging from your experience is unwise, but it least you were able to reject the item under their guarantee. I certainly would not consider one from Maplin in the future, as they obviously don't take enough care to ensure that the item is fit for purpose.

I have to say the guys in the shop were helpful and understanding, but there hands were tied as far as the item was brought online and cant replace "B" grades through there shop, they did try and phoned around other sites to see if they could get me another, but waiting for 7-14 days for your money back is unbelievable. perhaps i should ask for interest on it:-rofl2 "once bitten ,twice shy":cool:

robsond90

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gregorian 90cm dish
Manhattan ST-550 PVR
Fortec Passion HD
42in Plasma TV
My Location
North Yorkshire
Hi, Everyone,

Just to show that there's usually another side to the coin, I bought a B-grade Fortec Passion HD receiver from Maplin about a month ago after seeing it recommended in another Forum. I was apprehensive at first, and more so when it arrived the following day in the unsealed manufacturer's box - no outer box or sealed polythene bag! - but apart from a scratch on the bottom of the remote and obviously used batteries, nothing else was amiss - even the HDMI lead was included. The receiver works perfectly, and the picture quality on my new 42" plasma TV is superb.

I'm very pleased with the outcome, especially as I saved £50 by taking the chance on the cheaper option. Buying B-grade stuff is obviously a bit of a lottery, but you have to be prepared to accept the chance of getting some less than perfect stuff if you buy the ticket - otherwise it wouldn't be "B-grade" in the first place.

On the other hand, I wouldn't have taken the chance myself it had been some unknown outfit which had been doing the selling, but I've had a lot of gear from Maplins over the last twenty years and never had a problem getting an exchange or refund for the odd item that has turned out to be faulty. Perhaps I was born lucky??

portly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
heathrow
robsond90 said:
Hi, Everyone,

Just to show that there's usually another side to the coin, I bought a B-grade Fortec Passion HD receiver from Maplin about a month ago after seeing it recommended in another Forum. I was apprehensive at first, and more so when it arrived the following day in the unsealed manufacturer's box - no outer box or sealed polythene bag! - but apart from a scratch on the bottom of the remote and obviously used batteries, nothing else was amiss - even the HDMI lead was included. The receiver works perfectly, and the picture quality on my new 42" plasma TV is superb.

I'm very pleased with the outcome, especially as I saved £50 by taking the chance on the cheaper option. Buying B-grade stuff is obviously a bit of a lottery, but you have to be prepared to accept the chance of getting some less than perfect stuff if you buy the ticket - otherwise it wouldn't be "B-grade" in the first place.

On the other hand, I wouldn't have taken the chance myself it had been some unknown outfit which had been doing the selling, but I've had a lot of gear from Maplins over the last twenty years and never had a problem getting an exchange or refund for the odd item that has turned out to be faulty. Perhaps I was born lucky??

You brought a new plasma 42 in tv and then buy a "B" grade
sat box :-pointer
My point is "no customer " should put up with crap "B" grade equipment unless it says it is damage or they give you a full discription of the item, all parts should be inclued and any electrically parts must be safe and in safe working order;) even electrical equipment has to be safe when sold at carboots, and i expect better of maplin.You have consumer rights so use them ,otherwise these bl**dy companies will continue to fob people off with rubbish:-Nooo
And yes you must be lucky:-rofl2

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
portly said:
My point is "no customer " should put up with crap "B" grade equipment unless it says it is damage or they give you a full discription of the item, all parts should be inclued

Sorry but I cannot agree with your analysis of the situation, If you deliberately go and buy "B" Grade equipment then putting up with crap as you put it is what you have to do. If you do not want to have to put up with crap you buy "A" grade and pay the appropriate money.

What you are suggesting is that somehow companies who sell "B" grade equipment should make it as good as "A" grade. Anyone with experience in this field knows that in general the public return approximately 30% of what they buy via catalogue and mail order because they do not understand what the item is or what it is supposed to do. The company I work who do not sell "B" grades, have an enormous amount of goods returned which are in 100% working condition.

The problem seems to lie with:-

The public either are not capable, cannot be bothered or cannot understand the supplied manual.

They leave the shop use it for a week and decide they do not like it and return it as it does not match the room or the decor.

They look in the paper and see a special offer £2.00 cheaper and return it and go and buy the offer.

What are companies supposed to do with these items throw them away?

"B" grade is just that, any "B" grade that proves to be faulty has to be refunded under the sale of goods act however buying a "B" grade leaves you wide open to the fact that generally easy parts to obtain may be missing.
portly said:
and any electrically parts must be safe and in safe working order;) even electrical equipment has to be safe when sold at carboots, and i expect better of maplin.You have consumer rights so use them ,otherwise these bl**dy companies will continue to fob people off with rubbish:-Nooo
And yes you must be lucky:-rofl2

As regards electrical safety yes I do totally agree

I notice you admit you have to be lucky to get all parts and fully working yes you do have to be lucky that is what a "B" grade is all about.

Nobody is holding a gun to anyone's head it is the consumers choice, so buy "B" grade at your own risk.