Maplin sattelite kit 99.00 dish and reciever any good?

adrian29uk

Reaction score
I want to be able to pick up Italian channels Rai Uno & Rai Due plus the regular german channels and some french. I used to be able to do this with my old sky analogue dish and box.

Will this sattelite kit be able to pick these up for me?

Also do I need to point the dish the 13degress east and line up with the hotbird sattelite for these channels?

Also I presume that the dish is an anologue signal, however the box transmits it to a digital picture so you dont get the snow, you either get a picture or you dont.

The sattelite kit can be found here
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=43113&criteria=SATTELITE &doy=26m2http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=43113&criteria=SATTELITE%20&doy=26m2

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
You can receive these Free Italian channels from Hotbird at 13 degrees East with the correct size dish.

_http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/Italy.html

Check this site for other Free-to-air (FTA) French and German channels...

The signal will be digital and you're correct if it is weak then the picture 'breaks up' rather than snow.

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
Hi, they had a similar kit recently for £50/£60 (actually I think that was a 60 dish) but £99 probably isn't too bad if it includes everything. I have no experience of either this dish or the receiver. I think (and I could be wrong) that there might not be patches available for that receiver. For real free-to-air TV this is not a problem.

It's 90cm so even though you don't say where you're located I'd imagine you'd be okay for Hotbird. In southern England I can get the RAIs, the French and German channels easily on a 45cm square-ish dish and a 40cm oval dish (behind glass!).

All signals are analogue, so there's no such thing as a digital dish (even though I have a dish called DigiDish45!). But you're right, the box pieces together the ones and zeros and sends them on to your TV in analogue - and yes, you either get a picture or don't.

With a dish that size you can add extra LNBs (box at the end of the dish arm) and pick up Astra 1 (old "Sky" satellites), Hotbird, Astra 2/Eurobird ("Sky Digital") and with a bit of work Eutelsat 16 east. (Depending where you are of course). That's a whole lot of European TV!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
There is another thread in this section giving details of an ebay seller, where he has a similar kit, but with a monobloc LNB, for both Hotbird and Astra 19.2, may be worth considering.