Max.dish size

benblueeyes

Reaction score
Hi All
What is the max.dish size you are allowed to install on a wall?I live in Essex.
I would like to install a 1M motorised dish on the back of the house with 2 M pole.Do I have to ask the council approval before install it?It would not obstruct anyones view.I would like to do everything legal.

Quick reply would be much appriciated.

Thanks in advance.

benblueeyes

Jaffer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Samsung A300W with component output
Hotbird & Astra2
My Location
South East England
Upto a metre ok. You need permission if its over a metre.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Actually I think you'll find that the limit is 90cm. If you live in a conservation area, a listed building or have conditions laid down by your landlord it could be less (or even prohibited).

Strictly speaking the 90cm is measurable in any direction so, unless you've got a prime focus dish, a nominal 90cm dish is taller than 90cm - about 98cm depending on the make. To stay strictly within the law you need to have a maximum of 90cm vertically which means an 80cm in practice.

Having said all that most people can't tell the difference between 90cm and 1m from a distance.

I suppose the big question is; how well do you get on with your neighbours? Also, how visible would it be from the road?

PaulR

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
In real terms you can get away with 1m, but the rules are 90cm. If you tell anyone who asks about it that it is a 90cm, bearing in mind that they can't easily measure it, you'll probably get away with it. :)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
You are all very bad boys.

I have a nice legal 88cm Triax.

Only because it would hit my neighbours fence on 30W if it were a 1M!

Be interested to see what it actually measures vertically...

Hang on, I'm going to put my slippers on and stagger out there now in the dark... wish me luck...
errrr.... 96cm.

I guess I'm a bad boy too.

benblueeyes

Reaction score
rolfw said:
In real terms you can get away with 1m, but the rules are 90cm. If you tell anyone who asks about it that it is a 90cm, bearing in mind that they can't easily measure it, you'll probably get away with it. :)
Hi all
It is 1M channel master dish.It will be installed on the back wall,almost center of the wall.Back of my house at the far end of my back garden 70 Feet away next house gable end.So they can't see it.My house is semi & situated in a cul de sac.Further inside my garden wall tall conifers 10 of them & hardly anyone can notice it.Only next door neighbour who is bit of a funny man& he may question about it.I've old 80 cm mesh dish(analogue lnb)& rusty.

I am going to get new dish installed end of the month,hopefully.I do not want remove it if anypone repot to council.Just wanted to be sure.

Thanks to all for the answers.

benblueeyes

benblueeyes

Reaction score
PaulR said:
Actually I think you'll find that the limit is 90cm. If you live in a conservation area, a listed building or have conditions laid down by your landlord it could be less (or even prohibited).

Strictly speaking the 90cm is measurable in any direction so, unless you've got a prime focus dish, a nominal 90cm dish is taller than 90cm - about 98cm depending on the make. To stay strictly within the law you need to have a maximum of 90cm vertically which means an 80cm in practice.

Having said all that most people can't tell the difference between 90cm and 1m from a distance.

I suppose the big question is; how well do you get on with your neighbours? Also, how visible would it be from the road?

PaulR
Hi PaulR
It is 1M channel master.As I live in a cul de sac & my house is semi. it can only be seen from the side of the house & inside the rear side garden wall I have tall conifers..Next door neighbour is a funny old boy.He may report to council,I do not know.

You think I should ask the council?

benblueeyes

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
If you ask the council, it will cost you whatever the local planning fee is and you still may not get it, better to perhaps have a chat with your neighbour and tell him that you are removing the old eyesore and replacing with a nice new 90cm dish, he almost certainly won't be able to tell the difference.

If you go the council route, you might as well get permission for a 1.2m dish, will pull in that little bit extra.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
BGonaSTICK said:
You are all very bad boys.

I have a nice legal 88cm Triax.

Only because it would hit my neighbours fence on 30W if it were a 1M!

Be interested to see what it actually measures vertically...

Hang on, I'm going to put my slippers on and stagger out there now in the dark... wish me luck...
errrr.... 96cm.

I guess I'm a bad boy too.
I think your neighbour's a member on here mate, didn't he tell you? :eek:

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
jimbo said:
I think your neighbour's a member on here mate, didn't he tell you? :eek:
Funnily enough, they moved last week, and the new neighbours just had Sly installed yesterday, right alongside my multi-dish arrangement.

The engineer was giving my Triax a real good eyeball, and I'm reading his mind as he thinks 'Hey by the look of it, this bstard next door is definitely having some large portions of C*nax, and I wouldn't be surprised if hes doing a bit of S2 decrypting under the stairs n'all'.

... or he might just have been thinking 'only another 72 minidishes to do before knocking-off time... must be careful not to install one properly'....

jknights

Reaction score
Is it legal to have a >90cm dish if you mount on a floor/grass? I.e. not on a wall or roof.?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Technically makes little difference if it is a permanent fixture, bolt it to a wheelbarrow and they would have a hard job enforcing it. :)

benblueeyes

Reaction score
rolfw said:
Technically makes little difference if it is a permanent fixture, bolt it to a wheelbarrow and they would have a hard job enforcing it. :)
Do you think I would rather have a smaller dish not 1M on the wall?

ben

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Well I have an 80cm on my motor and receiver quite a lot, but there are times when a bigger dish would be an advantage.

benblueeyes

Reaction score
rolfw said:
Well I have an 80cm on my motor and receiver quite a lot, but there are times when a bigger dish would be an advantage.
I've part exchange my unused 1M Channel Master Dish for a 90CM Channnel Master(Satellitesuperstore)+Delivery&Collection charge.I've contacted the local planning office& they want £110.00 start with for 1M dish.Therefore I choose 1st option.Install 90CM & hope for the best.They are collecting/Delivering it on Thursday.

Thanks everyone for their advice.I would not have KNOWN the law otherwise.

Will post the results very soon & may ask more questions,CAMs etc

ben

benblueeyes

Reaction score
Hi all
I am about to get my dish installed.The installer left a drum of cable, Rg6XXXX ,semi air spaced & 4 core cable for motor so I could run the cables from the loft to the receiver.

I've a drum of ct100 semi air spaced & a drum of form filled ct100.The question is which cable is the best for the installation ?

By the way Satellitesuperstore has exchange my 1M for a 90CM.It will be a legal setup.Thanks to all for the advice.

Many thanks in advance.

ben

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I almost exclusively use foam dialectric cable now, providing that it has the good quality copper braid and foil screen, then go with the foam. :)

radtv

Supporting Advertiser
Reaction score
Yah, as I found out today a 80cm is crap at receving Spice Plat at 1 degree west, I really need a 1.2.