Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
amd athlon 3ghz , 2gig ram 250gig hd
My Location
london
Hi People
ive got this problem
i purchased a skyline dsr 4000 from b&q"s last weekend
set it up seem to go ok ,receiving lots of channel pointing at astra 2A,b 28.2E like the manual says .the thing keeps turning off after about 10-15 secounds or so the receiver resets its self and then comes back on .
I took the recever back to b&q 's and got another one but same thing happens on off on off.
Right satalite isnt aligned up prople i think , so i purchase sat finder and get real stong signal but it still keeps turning off, so i double check my connectors and there ok .
so i took this unit back to b&q 's and get another one ,and guess what ,you guessed it its still turning off.
im bangin my head against the wall what can it be .
while the receiver is on and picture is fine i disconnect the skart lead from the receiver/tele but unit holds up and doesnt turn off , so i try disconnecting the sat cable whilst im getting good signal and the unit turns off ,so the problem must be between the receiver and the dish.
this is the silly question ,the coax that came with the package was not long enough so rather than join it i thought no i want to do a good job of installing my satalite system and went and bought some new coax.
the coax i purchased said digital satalite coax .is there any way that the coax cable im using is not proper satalite coax and causing the receiver to safe gaurd and turn off ,i know the lmb is powered by the receiver via the coax so do you think this is possible. It does this on mostly all channels but not bbc1 or itv .
help me out please or i feel another trip to B&Q's is on the cards the weekend and i really dont want that
many thanks
rickyboy

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Since you have replaced the receiver a number of times, I would have thought that the the next step may be to replace the lnb, in case it's faulty. Using non satellite cable , eg ordinary low loss 75ohm coax would simply attenuate the signal a lot more (depending on length).
If the cable was shorted out, the receiver would have problems with that, but it wouldn't work at all.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Sounds like a dodgy receiver, I'm finding it difficult to work out exactly what you have tried to do, but if you have a picture for a few seconds, then there isn't a short in the cable.

Do you know someone with a Sky digibox who can let you try it, or try your receiver on their dish?

If the receiver is actually rebooting every 15 seconds, then it is definitely a receiver fault.

rickyboy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
london
Thanks for the input fellas
Yes im trying to find someone who i know who i can try there receiver at the moment .
but i might just take it back today and purchase a decent receive
could you reccomend a decent receive to me ,one that can easyly be patched and patches readley availible.
thanks
rickyboy

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Possibly a faulty batch of STB's delivered to that store?

Llew

rickyboy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
london
thats what ive been thinking

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
rickyboy said:
Thanks for the input fellas
Yes im trying to find someone who i know who i can try there receiver at the moment .
but i might just take it back today and purchase a decent receive
could you reccomend a decent receive to me ,one that can easyly be patched and patches readley availible.
thanks
rickyboy

Technomate receivers (e.g the 1500 series) are very popular with some of our members here.

Click on our Advertisers' button at the bottom of this page for info on various STB prices etc.

Llew

StrangeName

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Non at the moment...gathering information
My Location
Somerset, UK
I think you may have this problem...am going through the same as yourself but found this information out so guess I will be contacting Thomson

Thomson LNB fault warning

Thomson have advised this week of an issue regarding their single LNBs and have confirmed that some of their LNBs are likely to be problematic due to a tool cavity problem with the LNB feed horn. Thomsons are confident that LNBs with a serial number less than 33425472 will not demonstrate any performance issues. However, serial numbers greater than this are likely to be defective and will cause loss of low band channels: i.e. BBC1 and ITV. This latest batch of product arrived in the UK during the first week of October, therefore there is a possibility that product supplied to distributors may be affected.

The serial number can be found on the side of the LNB beneath the Thomson logo and barcode. The eight digit serial number is prefixed by the part number 13553.

In the event of faulty product being identified, please contact Thomsons Direct (Dave Iredale Tel No 07703 188015) who will arrange for the faulty product to be collected and swapped with good product.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
No unlikely, a faulty LNB won't normally force the box to reboot.

StrangeName

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Somerset, UK
Update on this problem....called Philex who are the maker/manufacturer of this setup...

Make sure the following is applied... Disconnect the satellite feed cable from the STB....

Go to System Setup menu screen > TV System Setup

THIS IS NOT IN THE MANUAL

The following must be set...

Display Mode = Auto
Video Output = CVBS

<Menu button> to save and exit.

Sorted out the problem straight away. Hope it helps

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Was your box restarting constantly, or was it just not showing a picture on the screen?

StrangeName

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Somerset, UK
Constantly restarting....different delays on different channels. But so far so good!