meaning of "New" tag

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
The question was raised as to whether the "new" marker should only exist for a limited time. See http://www.satellites.co.uk/scripts/dcforum/DCForumID21/9.html#

The tag "New" indicates all posts in a forum that have been posted since the last time the forum was "marked" as read by the user.
So "new" does not (necessarily) mean "recent".

This has the advantage that readers can decide themsleves when they have "finished" with a forum (ie read and if desired responded to posts).

It's a pity that one cannot mark individual posts as read (rather than whole forums). But that's life...

2old

chris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TalkTalk TV
My Location
Worksop UK
Yes the above is true. The new will remain until you mark the message.

The new look forum (which i hope to have online this weekend) will allow for you to bookmark messages and also a better way of marking messages.

chris

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
Chris
in you response to the post about "new" under the thread "spellchecker" you made the remark that the "new' would be workling "properly" soon - ie only showing posts that are new since the last visit.
Is this really what will happen?
Personally I much prefer that the "new" tag stays there until I mark the thing as read. Otherwise if you log off before having read all the "new" posts, they will next time be much more difficult to locate. In no time it will be impossible to keep track of what you have and haven't read.
2old

chris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TalkTalk TV
My Location
Worksop UK
It is designed to work for new users who have not used Mark previously. When logged on as a user that has marked previously you must continue to use mark. There is very few users that use the 'mark' feature, thats why i think the question about 'new' was asked.

chris

chris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TalkTalk TV
My Location
Worksop UK
If you DON'T use 'mark' Only new messages should now show 'new' when you login.

chris