Meanings?

pixey

Reaction score
My Location
South UK
Hi all, not sure if this is the correct place for this post but I thought it would do for starters.

I was looking on Lyngsat to find the freq for NTV Plus Football to enter in my receiver and it is listed as 12322 R SR27500 FEC 3/4.
All ok you may wonder, but alas not for me! What does the 'R' mean? I obvoiusly understand H or V, but don't know how to enter 'R' in my machine.

Anyone shed a light on this for me??

Thanks

pixey

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
The R is for Right Hand Circular and refers to how the transponder signal is transmitted.

Both R and L ( for Left hand Circular) are not the same as per the normal V and H ( horizontal and Vertical) and normally you will require a Polorotor with an inserted /machined wave guide to recieve these transponder signals.

This format is used mostly on the C band transponder signals and also on a few Ku Band satellites has Eutelsat does also on W4 at 36.0 East,

Pixey if I am correct I assume you are looking at these signals ?

They are very weak in the UK around 28-32 DB I would estimate, you need a dish of at least 4.0-5.0 mtr to recieve them in the UK.

I can here in Belgium with a 3.7 mtr just recieve and watch them where has on my 2.0 mtr which I have at my UK home they do not exist.

regards

Old Satellite

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Moved this thread to Transponders and channels Pixey, the Where can I find section is hopefuly going to be where people post their completed research on where to find football channels etc.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Even a 5m is touch and go.

Unlikely to see anything at all as the digital signal plus decryption require a higher carrier to noise ratio than a clear analogue signal

pixey

Reaction score
My Location
South UK
Oh well, thanks for the help anyway. Old Satellite , I was trying to look at this particular channel as it is reported to show UK football but have been unable to find any signal - now I know why!!
Are all signals listed as L & R weaker than H or V? Hope that's not a silly question.

pixey

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
The right hand circular and left circular transponder signals refers to the method used in the polorization of the signal.
It is the Satellite footprint ( the targeted signal receiving area) for E4 at 36.0 east that is very weak in the UK.

so in short your answer is no

Eutelsat E4 for the NTV transponders are for primary coverage generally for Russia and the most northeastern parts of Europe.

This method of signal polorization however does require slightly more complicated and expensive equipment. If you wish to read further about the subject then takes a look at the following site it should help.

http://www.geo-orbit.org/sizepgs/tuningp2.html#anchor715739

Incendtly from my experience you are not missing to much of interest.

Regards

Old Satellite

pixey

Reaction score
My Location
South UK
A very interesting and indepth article. I didn't like the bit that said to aviod fibreglass dishes as I have just recienlty installed a 1.2m channel master!!:(

pixey

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Dont worry , the Channel Master dish is of general excellent quality, and should provide good service for years to come.

Some of the older Fibreglass dishes suffered from seperation due to ultrviolet light, and also severe warping but generally these were large dishes that were not segmented.

Old Satellite