Members with AOL E-mail addresses-URGENT

Status
Not open for further replies.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
We have a problem at the moment with AOL, they have complained to our server that E-mail from Satellites.co.uk is being treated as SPAM. For this reason, we are going to have to ban AOL addresses, or risk the closure of our server account.

I think everyone on the forum knows that we do not send out SPAM, but we have to take this seriously.

We would ask all members with AOL addresses to change their address on the forum to another, as of the 29th of February, all AOL addresses will be banned from the forum and any member still retaining an AOL address will be be required to change it when they log in.

We regret this action, but cannot afford to be SPAM blacklisted.

As a precaution, all forum E-mail functions will be suspended as of now and will only return after the removal of the AOL accounts, so no post notifications or PM notifications.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

R

robbins1940

Going to miss you all then as the only email I have is with AOL.

Hope I haven't done it. Get hundreds of spam per week could have been very easy to mark an email from here without knowing.

David

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
You can (or could) download a free advert version of Eudora (Qualcomm)

Not sure if its still available though

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
robbins1940 said:
Going to miss you all then as the only email I have is with AOL.

Hope I haven't done it. Get hundreds of spam per week could have been very easy to mark an email from here without knowing.

David

Just sign up for a free hotmail address David, they cost nothing and you can pick your messages up once a week as webmail, or use outlook express to collect them automatically. You could call it Davidssatellitemail@hotmail.com or something similar and then use message rules to direct it to a satellite posts folder, that's what I do. :)

It's unfortunate, but we just cannot afford to be blacklisted and whilst stopping all E-mail notification is a quick fix, it is not fair to the members who rely on this facility to keep them informed.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
I hate AOL! Patronising b*******s!!

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Don't praise them up TG. ;)

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
If I could give a plug for a local free email provider try www.merseymail.com - it doesn't cost anything, has fairly good spam filtering and you get (I think) 4MB of space to fill with messages.

The only downside is that all messages sent out from Merseymail on their free service have an advert for their education courses tacked onto the end. But of course you can still send out on AOL if you want.

PaulR

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Sounds like a good one PaulR, there are loads of them about, a Google search for Free webmail will produce dividends. :)

R

robbins1940

I signed up to hotmail and it was instantly filled with spam and it wasn't even advertised anywhere.

David

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Did you tick the hotmail directory box David? I have 3 hotmail accounts which have never had a drop of SPAM, pick a long name, if you use dave@hotmail.com then you will get a load of spam, if you use daveslittleantispammailbox@hotmail.com and make sure that you are not put in the directory, you will get zip, nothing, nada.

PS. Plus they have anti spam filters, there are also loads of others......Only trying to help, but the truth is, that having members with AOL addresses is going to cost us our server and we cannot afford to lose it.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Put this site's email address into your contacts David and then set 'security' to 'exclusive'. Any spam will be filtered out and you won't need to deal with it.

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
Have tried to get in touch with AOL trying to find out what is happening; none of the operators seem to know about it (surprise, surprise) and the last number I was passed onto did not answer (well it is Sunday).
Told them that if they are blacklisting the forum, they can stuff my membership were the sun don't shine (that should carry alot of weight).
Mind you I will miss the on-line " bridge games," can someone tell me of another internet supplier who play bridge on-line ?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Don't change your ISP Rob, just get yourself a hotmail address. The only people who will know what's going on is the abuse section and bearing in mind how big AOL is, you are unlikely to get to speak to anyone and even less likely if you do that they will be able to do anything.

The problem that we have and one of the reasons that every now and then we clear out members who have not been on the forum for several months, is that people join the forum with an address, subscribe to forums, but then leave that ISP and don't change their E-mail address, so the ISP receives a constant flow of undeliverable mail.

redrooster

Reaction score
I just changed my email address to hotmail from AOL but can you give me this site's email address so that I can put it in the contacts under exclusive. I can't seem to find it !

Thanks

Nige
jimbo said:
Put this site's email address into your contacts David and then set 'security' to 'exclusive'. Any spam will be filtered out and you won't need to deal with it.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I think that it comes through as Satellite TV Discussion Forum Mailer [chris@astra-systems.com], if it is anything different, Chris will clear it up. There won't be any E-mails until after the 29th anyway, so you have a little time.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
All AOL accounts that haven't been changed have now been removed, only way it could be done with the vBulletin software. Sorry to anyone who has lost their membership, but there was ample warning.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
So how many does that leave ?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I removed 295 members tonight, one at a time I might add, suffering from RPI, as every deletion takes several selections.

Only leaves 11 to 12,000 members remaining. :)

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
And you can name each and every one us no doubt...

PaulR

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
LOL, my hand and wrist can. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.