Just Sharing This Men sentenced over Virgin Media fraud

A

Archive-8

Two men who were part of a group convicted for a multi-million pound fraud on a media firm have been sentenced.

In August last year eight men were convicted of conspiracy to defraud Virgin Media. Six were sentenced at the time, but the two remaining defendants were sentenced on Thursday at Leicester Crown Court.

Manish Javahar, 35, of Harrison Road, Leicester pleaded guilty to Conspiracy to defraud Virgin Media and was sentenced to 21 months in prison.

Bobby Bhairon, 39, Owenford Road, Coventry pleaded guilty to Conspiracy to defraud Virgin Media and was sentenced to 19 months in prison, suspended for two years.

Mahesh Tailor, 51, of Hollies Way, Thurnby, Leicester, lead the plan and was the director and owner of Tailor Made Circuits in Thurmaston, a printed circuit board manufacturer, who saw a way to get around the encryption surrounding cable TV channels supplied by Virgin Media.

In August last year Tailor was sentenced to six years in prison and disqualified from being a company director for eight years.

Tailor imported thousands of set-top boxes from the Far East and sold them for up to £180 each.

He reached customers by contacting them on internet forums and had his own website linked to the sale of boxes.

He also sold the boxes in bulk to other businesses across the UK.

The court heard how Tailor organised people around the country to assist in the set-up of the network so the service was available nationwide.

It communicated with servers overseas which allowed owners in England to receive channels via the internet, without paying a subscription to Virgin Media.

During the investigation Leicestershire Police recovered a container with 5,000 set-top boxes inside and it’s believed that Tailor had already sold multiple similar consignments.

Detective Constable Amrat Bhagwan investigated the case. He said:

“This was a lengthy and complex investigation which saw officers being deployed at various locations across the country to take the network down and render the boxes useless. When we raided Tailor’s home, we found £250,000 in cash in various rooms. There were similar amounts held in his business bank accounts. The boxes were imported from the Far East and documentation showed that Tailor claimed that they were satellite receivers and even paid importation tax on them. He did everything in his power to stop himself appearing on the radar.”

A Virgin Media spokesperson said:

“Virgin Media has a zero tolerance approach to piracy and we thank Leicestershire Police for continuing to crack down on this criminal activity. Set-top box piracy is not a victimless crime. Piracy represents a threat to Britain’s world-beating creative industries and harms the vast majority of honest, bill-paying customers. Furthermore, by installing an illegitimate box to any Virgin Media connection a customer is breaking the terms of their contract. We and others in the industry will do all we can to combat this.”

The following remaining defendants pleaded guilty to conspiracy to defraud Virgin Media and were sentenced last August:

• Jagdish Vegad, 56, of Arbour Road, Leicester: Sentenced to 14 months imprisonment
  • Nicholas Beck, 46, of Bloomfield Road, Leicester: Sentenced to 13 months imprisonment
  • Jitesh Racicchandra, 44, Knowle Road, Bristol: Sentenced to 18 months imprisonment
  • Mark Weighill, 36, of Dunbar Road, Coalville: Sentenced to eight months suspended for two years and 150 hours unpaid work
  • Andrew Wren, 56, Hinckley Road, Coventry: Sentenced to ten months suspended for two years and 150 hours unpaid work

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TV with built in Freeview/ Virgin Media TiVo V6 box
My Location
UK
Interesting, it looks like this uses a different system to the usual method.

A

Archive7

What is the current subscription cost by the provider?
If they are too greedy, then no wonder customers would want to take the risk.
Here they are way too expensive, which makes me wonder why the company's directors get away with it and are not charged with anything.
Having a legitimate business doesn't mean they can rip customers off, with the government's blessings.

John Pykett

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dish setup: 80cm Motorized Dish, TM-5402 HD M3. This setup goes from 1w to 28.2e

My computer setup: AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.10 GHz processor and 8GB of ram. Graphics Card is NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti. OS: Windows 10 64 Bit
My Location
Hucknall, United Kingdom
Here they are way too expensive, which makes me wonder why the company's directors get away with it and are not charged with anything.
Having a legitimate business doesn't mean they can rip customers off, with the government's blessings.
no wonder people are pirating it

John Pykett

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dish setup: 80cm Motorized Dish, TM-5402 HD M3. This setup goes from 1w to 28.2e

My computer setup: AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.10 GHz processor and 8GB of ram. Graphics Card is NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti. OS: Windows 10 64 Bit
My Location
Hucknall, United Kingdom
People want everything for free. Even if the subscription costs $1, they still don't want to pay that.
then why isnt people who want free tv going with freeview or freesat?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
then why isnt people who want free tv going with freeview or freesat?

Because what they want is the sport / movies & other premium channels that dont appear on Freesat / Freeview

John Pykett

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Hucknall, United Kingdom
Because what they want is the sport / movies & other premium channels that dont appear on Freesat / Freeview
you get movies on freesat/freeview though!

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Debatable, in the main.

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
Company directors have a legal responsibility to maximise profits for their shareholders and pricing is a very sensitive balance in that - too low and you get lower profits and too high you get too few customers.

A

Archive-8

After all, we all want a return for our investments ;) depending on what side of the table you sit on.