Metal Detecting

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Its another hobby of mine, some of the fields where i have permission to metal detect have been cut, and i managed a few hours out today :), here are my best finds of the day,

i am not sure what emporer the roman coins is but at a guess i would say its 3rd century, the little silver coin is a Charles 1st penny,

if you have any questions please fire away and i will do my best to answer them :-).

DSCN3823.JPGDSCN3824.JPG

gsteigwiler

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020HD / DM800HD
Dream Elite 4.0
CCcam/Scam/gbox
Motorised 1Metre dish
Sony 40 inch Full HD TV
Vista Network
My Location
East Anglia
Nice find, well done,

regards

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Very cool! How much are they worth?

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
There not worth much c/j, but there are some that's worth thousands of pounds, a henry v111 hammered gold sovereign would be a nice find :).
DSCN3830.JPG

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
How far underground are they? How much do normally find in an average field?

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
How far underground are they? How much do normally find in an average field?

hi timo, my detector was just over 1000 pounds and it will find a small silver hammered coin at about up to 1ft, the detector i want is around 4500 pounds and that will find a small silver coin at around 2ft, the more you pay for a machine the better it is,

bigger thicker items can be found deeper but on average with my machine i am only digging 5/6 inch,

some field are better than others, last year this field were i found the coins today i had around 50 roman coins 15 or so hammered silver coins a George 1v half sovereign and a Viking gold ring along with other roman and medieval items,

i spent a lot of hours in this field maybe 150 hours are so,

nothings set in stone with the hobby its down to luck, but if you study land and areas you stand a better chance of finding stuff :-).

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Interesting, I know very little about it so even 1ft down sounds pretty impressive. Ever find anything interesting in your own garden? I can imagine it would get addictive.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
its a very interesting hobby timo i have had a play in my garden but i only found an old matchbox car lol, but i did find some flint with my eye when i was digging my garden over one day,

here is a flint arrow head i found while i was out detecting eyes only find obviously, this item is at least 4000 bc :-).
DSCN3837.JPG

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Martin, there will be loads of empty fields here, but I'd guess you'd end up unearthing WWII ordinance rather than pre revolutionary coinage....

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
That's all a bit too far to the north east of me Martin. Around Rouen and the Seine. I'm much further south, almost on the border between Normandy and Mayenne. I don't think the Vikings bothered about here and the immediate area near to my village was relatively untouched by the war in terms of bombing or bombardment. I have seen online Napoleonic maps with this property marked but sadly no large X in the fields adjacent. The farmer who rents the fields round my place cultivates them each year, so I don't know how much that would disturb what may lie underneath. There is a large Roman excavation at Jublains, about an hours drive south of me....

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
That's all a bit too far to the north east of me Martin. Around Rouen and the Seine. I'm much further south, almost on the border between Normandy and Mayenne. I don't think the Vikings bothered about here and the immediate area near to my village was relatively untouched by the war in terms of bombing or bombardment. I have seen online Napoleonic maps with this property marked but sadly no large X in the fields adjacent. The farmer who rents the fields round my place cultivates them each year, so I don't know how much that would disturb what may lie underneath. There is a large Roman excavation at Jublains, about an hours drive south of me....

maybe still worth a look pete if you have some interest in the hobby/history, it does not have to be roman Viking etc for me, I have fields that produce pre decimal coins and I love finding them,

99% of my finds are off cultivated land, ive popped out for a few hours after tea tonight and found 2 roman coins I would guess the field has been cultivated for the past 2000 years are so :-).

DSCN3840.JPG

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
I popped out this morning for a few hours, and here is my best find its a Edward hammered coin, I am not sure what Edward as they are hard to ID but its Edward 1/2/3, its cleaned up nice and a nice portrait of the king :-).

DSCN3848.JPGDSCN3849.JPG

ian xtv

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SUPER DARK Box HD Rev 2008
Gibertini 1 mtr dish
Inverto Black Ultra lnb
Navigator HD high speed motor
cas interface 3
Diablo Light v.2.3
45 East - 45 west
My Location
North West uk
nice find how much is that worth i wonder Edward hammered coin :)

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
nice find how much is that worth i wonder Edward hammered coin :)

not much 10 pounds may be, but the hobby is not about money to me not that I have much of it (money) lol, I just love the hobby and history of what I find :).

ian xtv

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SUPER DARK Box HD Rev 2008
Gibertini 1 mtr dish
Inverto Black Ultra lnb
Navigator HD high speed motor
cas interface 3
Diablo Light v.2.3
45 East - 45 west
My Location
North West uk
!CBknSyQ!mk~$(KGrHqN,!l8Ez+3F6)4VBNIPqjOQdQ~~_12.JPG

just had a look it looks like its worth £185
RARE EDWARD III YORK SILVER HAMMERED PENNY COIN 020596

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
You might be enticing me here, Martin: I remember making a Metal Detector forty odd years ago from a design in Practical Wireless, but it was utter carp.

We have many ploughed fields around here and I've time on my hands ................

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
!CBknSyQ!mk~$(KGrHqN,!l8Ez+3F6)4VBNIPqjOQdQ~~_12.JPG

just had a look it looks like its worth £185
RARE EDWARD III YORK SILVER HAMMERED PENNY COIN 020596

that's a left hand facing Edward with a reverse counterfoil a rare coin :-), mine is a front facing head with no reverse counterfoil, but my coin has a miss stamp as far as I can see that could make it a little bit more interesting :-).

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
You might be enticing me here, Martin: I remember making a Metal Detector forty odd years ago from a design in Practical Wireless, but it was utter carp.

We have many ploughed fields around here and I've time on my hands ................

its a great hobby tivu, I do hope you get more enticed :-)