Microsoft Updates

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
Last Sunday afternoon I wasted at least six hours trying to get an update from Microsoft for my poor old pc.
I have Windows 98 (2nd Ed) and after Microsoft had scanned my pc, it said that I needed 22 urgent updates, plus 41 others. So far so good.
On the first update for Internet Explorer after two hours nothing, on my second attempt for the other 21 urgent updates which should have lasted 47 minutes, the time remaining stuck with just 3 minutes to go.
I waited for an hour, but it just would not go an further.
It is just me or has anyone else had the same problem ?

Mind you after reading Rolf's message (27-10-03) it is best to forget all about updates all together !

I did manage to download a firewall, which was the only bloody thing I did get after six hours, would this be enough protection on it's own ?

Would welcome an thought's on this, before I try again next weekend. :confused

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
For Internet Explorer, you can probably get the latest update off of one of the free internet disks, got my last version from a Tiscali disk. :) You can of course also use another Web Browser, something like Opera is quite secure and has a built in popup stopper.

If you have a good firewall and regularly updated antivirus, it will help prevent most infection/intrusion, but you still need to be on your guard and take basic precautions like not opening attachments from unknown sources.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
If your PC doesn't have the latest service packs loaded then you can call Microsoft who will send them to you for free. (on CD). You may also find them on the free disks given away with computer magazines. Security updates can address some of the holes in Microsofts systems...so belt and braces approach for zilch can only help.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Unfortunately Microsoft have recently decided not to release updates on cover disks, so you have to get all new ones (XP SP2 etc) from the Windows Update site.

This seems likely to slow down the uptake of these updates if they aren’t readily available on cover disks all over the place. I wonder if they will stick to their decision.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
I got XP SP1 from MS direct on CD recently for the Guide Dogs for the Blind Association. Maybe since then they've stopped issuing them. I know you can't get the SP for IE off the cover disk from PC Pro now.

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
I would advise anybody NOT to try the Microsoft updates.
Last saturday I tried to download their update, and it completley mucked my pc up.
Have only just got it going again, had to scrub my hard drive. Will now spend the next few days putting everything back where it should be.
Thank you very bloody much Microsoft !

I cannot be sure but I think the problem was the update for Internet Explorer.
This download was for Windows 98 (2nd Ed), and has nothing to do with other Windows programmes which as far as I know are O.K.
I have had a bad time with this update, so has the shop who sold me my P.C, and Rolf has also been caught with this one.
While there are many people who I suppose have no trouble with this download, some do.
It reminds me of the film "Jaws" because the big bad shark did eat alot of swimmers, but it did not eat everyone who entered the water.
If you want to go swimming that's up to you, as for me I'm staying out of the water ! O-no

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Jimbo, not sure if they plan to stop issuing CDs, it was indeed just the cover disk updates that seemed certain to stop.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Greater London
Rob...I think you may need to be a bit more specific if you don't mind. Microsoft has issued some system patches which are vital to keep out hackers.

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Essex
jimbo said:
Rob...I think you may need to be a bit more specific if you don't mind. Microsoft has issued some system patches which are vital to keep out hackers.

Yes you are right Jimbo, next time I will be more specific it was just that I was so bloody angry.
I have had more crashes lately than Goering's boy's in the Battle of Britain !

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Greater London
Sorry to hear that Rob......how is it now. Need any help mate?

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Essex
Thanks Jimbo,
Yes still having problems, but I think it is an AOL problem now.
I will try there "Help Page" and see how it goes.
If no joy will let you know.
From one p*ss*d off computer owner !

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Greater London
AOHell to give it it's proper name Rob.

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Essex
No need to worry because I have found the answer. Have been thinking about it for some time now, but yesterday I went out and brought a brand new PC.
As Waverider put it I have now put the "Iron Age" behind me, and have now entered the 21st century, and I'll tell you what it's bloody brilliant ! :-band

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Greater London
Good stuff mate. All your troubles are over. :)