Migrating from Sky to Free to air satellite ..Advice req

rockypaul

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Old grundig sky box with mini dish
My Location
United Kingdom
Hi

I have an old grundig sky box at present and want to change to a receiver which will give me free to air channels. Could someone give me advice as to the
best ones around and what kind to get i.e with cam slots etc.
I am looking for one around about £85 and I have a minidish set to Astra at present.
Any help appreciated or direct me to correct forum

With Thanks
Rockypaul

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
:-Welcome1 to the forum rockypaul

If you are considering a new purchase then go for a unit that is well supported with patches such as the technomate TM 1500, and you can have cam slots as well. There is a full review if you click here. You would be better to change your s*y dish though. Your budget is the limiting factor though.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I would be inclined to keep the digibox for FTV channels on 28.2 and set a separate dish and receiver for other satellites. As Topper says, the Technomate should give you a degree of future proofing, but may be a slither over your budget.

CockneyTony

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
ruby pc. echostar808
My Location
London
I'm a total newbie as well. I just bought a s/h Echostar. Model 808. Is it hard 2 setup yr own dish? The local installer wants £300. Cheers.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
I suggest you read the extensive sections in this forum on setting up your dish and save your money. That seems a bit steep to me but what do I know???