Military in Iraq - need help with SRT 4620, new to this all.

kratev13

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Strong SRT 4620 and Dell D820 Computer
My Location
Military Duty in Iraq
I've never used this type of satellite/receiver ever. In doing a little research on here, it would appear that I might need to update software in the receiver to improve it's performance and/or receive more channels. I got the receiver from the previous Soldier assigned whom I replaced. He didn't have time to tell me anything about it at all. Having said all that, can anyone please help me with the following:

1. Software update.

2. Correct cable to connect the receiver to my Dell D820.

3. Some sort of instructions/owner's manual for this system.

4. How does one go about paying for access (and installing the data necessary) to some channels?

I don't really care that much about adult programming access (and I don't mind paying for such if I decide I want it), but I would like to get some more English language channels. I'm hooked up to the Hotbird satellite.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Major Matt

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Welcome to the forum kratev13

Ok well whilst I can appreciate the situation you have been left with, the first problem we have is you do not give enough details about what you already have. The manufacturer sounds like it could be Strong but you do not say, srt4620 is presumably the model detail, what software is it loaded with already etc. Do you know where the set top box originates, is it stateside or European, details from the labels on the back may give you a clue.

Do we assume by Dell 820 you mean a Dell Latitude 820 laptop?

As regards subscriptions then the functionality of the receiver governs that e.g. does it have an existing card slot or a common interface that will accept a CAM?

As regards English programming, there is not a lot open these days on 13 East without a Dragon/TRex CAM but 19East seems to have a lot more available

kratev13

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Military Duty in Iraq
When I get back to the 20ft. shipping container that I call home, I'll check the receiver for model numbers, etc... to elaborate and hopefully provide enough information to get some help from forum members. Thanks so much for your reply.
Major Matt

kratev13

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Military Duty in Iraq
Here's what I've been able to find out:

Receiver - Strong SRT 4620
Serial Number - 4620-00501-2673
Hardware Version - PNC01-4620-001
Software Version - PNC01-4620-133C
Channel List - PNC01-4620-003
Last Update - June 27, 2005
Satellite Name - Hotbird
TP Frequency - 12,475 GHz
Polarization - Horizontal - 18V
Symbol Rate - 27,500 MSPS
Data PID - 1997

The receiver has no slot or place to put any kind of card; it's a sealed box. There is a male RS-232C computer cable input port on the back of it.

My computer is a Dell Latitude D820, pretty well loaded up with lots of 2GB of Ram, big hard drive, DVD burner/combo drive, etc..It has a male and female serial output, multiple USB 2.0 outputs, a firewire output and something else I don't recognize.

I haven't climbed up on the roof to look at the dish yet, too many rockets inbound lately for me to risk being up there, but if I need to, I'll try to work it in. Again, any and all information and assistance is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Major Matt

timbo86

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7020, CM 1.2 with invacom quad c120 & channelmaster feedhorn.
My Location
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Basiclly, there are not very many english speaking channels on hotbird. If you were to get access to a Dragon cam this will still open limited numbers of english speaking channels. And a card programer would be required to update cam. What are the possibiltys of getting the dish realigned? There are a few Arbic channels on 26 East that go by the name off MBC and they show English film movies and shows like Lost etc and they are free to view. Can you get access to viewing cards, like can a realitive send one out to the camp? Also does the British forces opearate a tv service to their troops?

kratev13

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Military Duty in Iraq
The U.S. operates AFN (Armed Forces Network) and I picked up a Scientific Atlanta PowerVu Business Satellite Receiver D9234 that is supposed to be able to get AFN, but no dish to hook it to. If I can find a dish/lnb, maybe I can figure out where the heck to point it to get AFN. Anyway...thanks for the response.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
timbo86 said:
Can you get access to viewing cards, like can a realitive send one out to the camp?
What use would that be? the o/p has already confirmed there is no card reader or CI slot

kratev13 said:
The receiver has no slot or place to put any kind of card; it's a sealed box.

Edit

Also AFN is on 13 Deg East 10775H 28000 3/4 however whether the footprint hits that far East I will have to check

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
What size is your dish? as the footprint shows it looks like you will need a 1.2 mtr dish for your location see here and whilst they are never completely accurate they are reasonably so

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Try funfiles.ws receiver section for info on Strong STB's. There's a Strong Tools thread there that should help (loaders etc.)

Here's a manual for the 4620 -

Llew

kratev13

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Military Duty in Iraq
I've got several dishes, 1m and 1.2m and have my D9234 Scientific Atlanta box pointed at the Hotbird on one of them to get AFN. Is there another satellite I can point the other dish at to get some English speaking channels through the Strong SRT 4620X? If so, and I have to pay, how do I go about getting a card or downloading something to get access to pay channels? The SRT 4620X has a slot, but it still has a plastic plug in it. It also has a serial input and a USB input. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

timbo86

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7020, CM 1.2 with invacom quad c120 & channelmaster feedhorn.
My Location
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Your best option is to go for Arabsat 26 east. Has MBC2, MBC3, MBC4 and MBC Action which show American/British programs/movies and these channels are free to receive. You also get BBC world. There is no way that you can pull in any BBC/Sky Digital channels without a titanic sized dish in Iraq.

DeepDiver

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vista- DreamBox 7020Si Nabilo Darkstar II -7025+ Black Hole 0.11 - DM8000 BlackHole 0.11
My Location
Mariana Trench - Pacific Ocean
I believe you can also point to Nilesat 7W. MBC, MBC2, MBC3, MBC4,MBC Action in addition to BBC, Euronews, France24 are FTA.
On the same satellite, you can then buy a subscription card to ART/ADD or Showtime. I am not sure whether you can get these cards in Iraq, but it is possible in Kuwait, Dubai, Jordan.

kluxer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
nothing much
My Location
>>>>>>>
work with ART