min dish size

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox 7000s 40gb hard disk, sky + sky digi box, comgag sl65 *2 twinhan pci sat card. 2* sky digi boxes each with quad lnb's 1M televes dish superjack dg120 motor. dreambox and 4 pc's all networked running vlc from dreambox. Some pc's wireless.hita
My Location
abertillery area gwent south wales
hi,

Can anyone tell me minimum dish size for amos 1,2 at 4 deg west my location is 51deg north 3 deg west. would this be best satellite to use as top satellite for clarkes belt as 5 degrees west and 1 degree west is further away. I am looking to get the best signal from 42east to 30 degrees west. I currently using 1metre televes motorised dish on superjack dg120 motor. also strongest transponders on this bird please as i hope to line up tnoight...

THanks Alun

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Amos 1 requires about 4m diameter in the UK!

A few of the Amos 2 European tp's are available, but you have no chance of the Middle Eastern tp's

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox 7000s 40gb hard disk, sky + sky digi box, comgag sl65 *2 twinhan pci sat card. 2* sky digi boxes each with quad lnb's 1M televes dish superjack dg120 motor. dreambox and 4 pc's all networked running vlc from dreambox. Some pc's wireless.hita
My Location
Analoguesat,

Thanks for speedy reply. I'm sure the last time i set my 1m dish up i picked up a few channels from amos 1/2 i got a new motor a couple of months ago and not really had chance to set it up properly yet ! may have a go tonight. I notice you got dreambox i got dreambox 7000 runnning pli flubber and gemini images. i also got twinhan pci sat card, sky plus, sky digi box and a couple of silvercrest (comag) sl65's for my kids bedrooms. running 1 metre motorsied televes dish and two 45cm sky dishes on at the front of house and one at rear. would be interested to know how far west and south you can receive from your location my last motorised setup was 30 deg west to 42 deg east. but would like to progress further in both direction if possible from my site.

Thanks 4 now ?Alun

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Im not motorised - Ive just got a collection of scruffy old dishes in the garden :D

53E is as far round as Ive got so far. Once I reach 5E trees start getting in the way, but by moving dishes round the garden I can get round to 30W

All my reception notes can be found at _http://www.digitalsat.co.uk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
nice website, very informative. have you checked out 15 degrees w national geographic, history channel, extreme sports all fta not sure whether camd 3.880 is doing something but it works here great if you not got sky nat geographic and history channel.
regards Alun

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
All my notes are based on 80cm dishes unless noted otherwise.

Never had an luck with 15W for some reason....

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
No probs here with 15w getting good signal maybe you are out of range or need bigger dish, i am at work at moment so cant give you sig strength. speak to you soon.

Alun

Low Profile

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800HD, DM7000 80GB HD with Asus WL330 wifi + 2GB usb drive, Skystar2.3, 2.2m Kinhuge Dish with Inverto LNB and Invacom ADF-120 feedhorn. Pace 1.3.25 and 80cm for Sky.
My Location
Lot, Dordogne, Correze border.
You may well get '1 plus 1' on 10723 H 27500. There are stronger data channels, but it's often better to be able to see what you're doing (in response to the original question).

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
will give this a try this evening if weahter permits. what size dish are you using for amos 1,2 ?

Regards Al

Low Profile

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800HD, DM7000 80GB HD with Asus WL330 wifi + 2GB usb drive, Skystar2.3, 2.2m Kinhuge Dish with Inverto LNB and Invacom ADF-120 feedhorn. Pace 1.3.25 and 80cm for Sky.
My Location
I had 4W on my 80cm and still (obviously) get it on my 2.2m here in France. (which is probably a similar signal level)

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hi,

Just out of curiosity what reference transponders are you using on this satellite i.e. best free to air channels strongest transponders ?

regards Alun

Low Profile

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
'1 plus 1' on 10723 H 27500

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
thanks should have checked previous post will have a go tonight. i made myself a home made inclinometer to check inclination of my dish will let you know how i get on. I made this from an old school wooden protractor with a perspex pointer bolted to the centre of protractor.

Alun

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
Sats reside in geosynchronous orbit directly above the equator. If you live on the equator, they appear to lie in an arc which stretches from the eastern horizon, up directly above, and down to the western horizon.

When viewed from north or south of the equator, that arc will be lower in the sky, so more of it lies below the horizon. So a smaller arc is visible. The amount of the arc that is visible, and which part of the arc, will determine the sats you can see, and can be calculated from your latitude and longitude. One program which does that is SAA, downloadable here. In fact, that program also allows you to take account of the size and distance of obstacles when calculating which sats you should be able to see (and it assumes a default - so if you have completely clear views don't forget to set the size of those objects to zero!)

Of course, as well as your geographic location, other factors can limit your sight:
- motor stops (the amount of E/W travel varies across motors)
- dish placement (nearby obstructions - walls, etc.)
- obscured horizons (intervening trees, buildings...)
- increasing atmospheric absorption and signal noise as you aim the dish closer to the horizon.

And just because you can see a satellite doesn't mean you'll be able to receive a signal from it. It may not have any beams aimed at your location, or its transmissions may be incompatible with your equipment.

Just to give you an idea:
With my dish (1.3m Gregorian) I can pull in sats to about 6 or 7 degrees above the horizon at the limit of the motor travel. At my location in the Netherlands, where I am fortunate enough to have unobstructed views, this gives me sats from about 70e to 60w. For example, I receive strong signals (S.African channels) from PAS7/10 at 68.5e.

2old

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
thanks for reply this gives me a bit more info. I have only just fitted a new superjack motor as my old one packed up so i knwo i can get 30w to 42e because that was available on my old setup i did have a play last nighth and managed to get to 24.5w so i ma getting nearer to my old setup. i was wondering if i could get any further east or west of my original setup now that i know a bit clearer about how to setup a dish properly. Other question i have for dreambox users does the goto x command work properly as i have not tried it yet. i know that i have to get my motor / pole setup spot on to use this. but would be interested in hearing off any users using this feature.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The Gotox works OK on some image/motor combinations, but not on others. The only image I got it working with was LPi Flubber, but then it didn't work with PLi Garnet, it is no real problem though, as it only takes a few minutes to find and rescan each satellite after an image change. :)