Mind boggling

ivorbu

Reaction score
PC card system or new dish system?
I am totally confused with the different forums looking for what want!
Somebody please help!
My PC has an Athlon 2600+ processer, 2.09 GHZ, and 1GB RAM. Can I use this to receive satelite channels, and if so how and what can I get, or should I invest in a new dish system, and again, what would I need? Obviously I don't want to pay any subscriptions to that greedy Sky lot. I live in County Durham

ivorbu

Reaction score
PC System or new satelite system? What should I do?

Somebody please help!
My PC has an Athlon 2600+ processor. 2.09GHZ and 1 GB Ram. Can I use my PC to receive satelite channels, and if so how and what can I get.
If my PC is no good for this and I invest in a new (or second hand) dish system, what do I need to get free satelite channels, and what will I be able to get?
I live in County Durham.

kalamar

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
Get a Nexus-S or SS1 it will take you into the future.

charlie

Reaction score
I recently brought a pc card (VisionDTV twinhan card) , It works fine with my setup but bear in mind that you will not beable to unencrypt any of sky's encrypted channels, these include but are not restricted to ITV ITV2 C4 Five. if you want it to watch football or other channels then as like me you will need a motorised dish to point to different satellites with other forms of encryption or none at all.
I dont know what motor to go for yet as i am a newbie but i have manually moved the dish to recieve other sats and seems to work ok

athlon 2500+
crucial 512Mb
GF4 Ti4200 My vivo
SB Platinum zs
DLP optoma projector
Freeview box (on Vivo for ITV etc)
VisionDTV sat card
standard sky mini dish (blagged from a mate)

Hope this helps you a bit

Rod Hulls Aerial

The Lord Lucan Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Star 2 - Motorised
Errr.. thats it.
My Location
The cold and foggy Yorkshire coast..
Hello Ivorbu, if your interested in Freeview channels then obviously there's the option of Freeview boxes with a satellite dish or terrestial signals.
However as your writing this question in the PC Card Systems section I will hazard a guess and say you might be interested in PC DVB Cards..
With your current setup providing you have a free PCI slot (or even USB port) you will be able to purchase a DVB card along with a Satellite dish and potentially receive over a thousand free to air Satellite channels.
Nexus-S, Skystar 1 and 2 cards etc are some of the DVB cards in question, I personally have a SkyStar 2 card (available for £50 ish) and an old fixed 60cm sky dish, with this I pickup Hotbird and over 200 channels, with a motor and bigger dish you will receive considerably more.
Checkout E-bay for DVB cards, and do a search through the discussion forums for more info on how to receive these channels.
Good luck.

ivorbu

Reaction score
Rod Hulls Aerial said:
Hello Ivorbu, if your interested in Freeview channels then obviously there's the option of Freeview boxes with a satellite dish or terrestial signals.
However as your writing this question in the PC Card Systems section I will hazard a guess and say you might be interested in PC DVB Cards..
With your current setup providing you have a free PCI slot (or even USB port) you will be able to purchase a DVB card along with a Satellite dish and potentially receive over a thousand free to air Satellite channels.
Nexus-S, Skystar 1 and 2 cards etc are some of the DVB cards in question, I personally have a SkyStar 2 card (available for £50 ish) and an old fixed 60cm sky dish, with this I pickup Hotbird and over 200 channels, with a motor and bigger dish you will receive considerably more.
Checkout E-bay for DVB cards, and do a search through the discussion forums for more info on how to receive these channels.
Good luck.
Thanks! If I add a DVB card to my PC, and connect my existing 60cm dish, can I then watch these channels on my TV set via the TV out on the PC, and if so how?

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
I know plenty of folks that can make it work with an Nvidia card, but I can't get my ATI card to do it, and I'm not the only one. There is a problem with the driver software I beleive.