minidish skew adjustment

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Wavefield T55, 20 LNB's and a whole load of analogue boxes!
My Location
Close to Southampton
I got hold of a minidish (Zone1 45cm) the other day complete with lnb (Grundig), until I get a larger dish up and running I thought I'd have a play with the minidish.

I've read on a few forum threads it should pull stuff off 19.2E, but for optimum performance I'll have to adjust the skew. My understanding is that is just a case of rotating the lnb - which way? Clock or anti-clock? (my feeling would be clockwise but I don't know why)... also I've no idea whether the lnb holder allows rotation...

Cheers

CTS

homerjay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Spiderbox 9000HD, Super DARK MOTOR, 80cm Dish, SKY+ HD, HTPC w/7MC
My Location
Chorley, Lancs
closetosoton said:
I got hold of a minidish (Zone1 45cm) the other day complete with lnb (Grundig), until I get a larger dish up and running I thought I'd have a play with the minidish.

I've read on a few forum threads it should pull stuff off 19.2E, but for optimum performance I'll have to adjust the skew. My understanding is that is just a case of rotating the lnb - which way? Clock or anti-clock? (my feeling would be clockwise but I don't know why)... also I've no idea whether the lnb holder allows rotation...

Cheers

CTS

I THINK:

for sats in the east, skew clockwise
for sats in the west, skew anti-clockwise

my sky dish wont allow skewing though.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
They all allow a bit of skew, they either have a screw underneath, the LNB then twists on the holder, they move within the case (I think the grundigs move this way) or the newer ones like the Skyware, twist in the clamp.

The more Easterly the satellite, the more clockwise skew, so for 19.2 East, it would be just off the vertical.

AForester

01LD1E
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
a variety of lnb's (5), dishes (2), diseqc motors (3) and receivers (4).
My Location
East of Cambridge (GB).
Skew, clockwise or anticlockwise, are you looking at the dish from behind the LNB or looking towards the satellite from behind the dish? It makes a difference you know, especially when setting up for 30west or 42east.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Sorry, meant to say when looking from behind the LNB toward the dish. :)

An easy way to work out which direction is that the skew will be a tangent of the dish circumference, relative to the direction from due south of the satellite.

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Wavefield T55, 20 LNB's and a whole load of analogue boxes!
My Location
Close to Southampton
A closer inspection of the Grundig LNB reveals possible skew adjustment with 5 settings, no screws, just rotate the internals by manupulating the output plug from left to right. Here's a pic.

CTS

philh

Knowledge is power.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Amstrad Digibox and zone 2 dish.

Technomate 1500ci+, 90cm motorised dish on a very thick pole!
My Location
Leeds
Ive got a Grundig LNB too on an 80cm dish, which is giving me an almost perfect signal strength and quality on 28.2. From reading the above, do I only need to move the LNB a bit and not even touch the dish to get 19.2?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
No Philh, that is only an adjustment to make sure that your LNB is perfectly in tune with the horizontal and vertical axis of the satellite.

philh

Knowledge is power.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Amstrad Digibox and zone 2 dish.

Technomate 1500ci+, 90cm motorised dish on a very thick pole!
My Location
Leeds
Bloody confusing this satellite lark.

homerjay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Spiderbox 9000HD, Super DARK MOTOR, 80cm Dish, SKY+ HD, HTPC w/7MC
My Location
Chorley, Lancs
quite simple when ya think about it.

just that 'theory' and 'practice' are worlds apart!