Mobile Phone Browser - Galaxy Ace

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
At a clients house this morning and they showed me a Galaxy Ace that has been in a cupboard for about four years.

It looks brand new and was used for about three months on the 3 network before being put back in the box.

Whilst it poowers up (battery is still at 90%) and it ties in with the wifi without issue, the screen says it needs a browser update before browser update before it can be used, and for this it needs a Samsung account.

Since there is no SIM card tied in with the phone do I need to use another account (such as mine) or is there a way round this ?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
I have limited knowledge as I have stayed very static with providers indeed only 3 in 20 odd years however from my experience a browser update is not linked to a mobile phone account, it can be, but as long as play store is accessible which unless I am mistaken can be done through a Gmail account, as long as you have wifi it should update. Indeed I am now on three however my updates come from playstore and are set to come to me only over WIFI.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yep, from memory, Samsung phones have proprietory software, the GUI sits on top of Android.a while since I've owned one, but probably need a google account.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Thanks. I'll 'borrow' the phone next time and have a go at updating here.