Status
Not open for further replies.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
A Norwegian company has found a use for that old mobile phone that's been kicking around in your desk drawer.

IPdrum has developed software and a cable that can turn an old handset into a wireless gateway for Skype's VoIP (voice over internet protocol) application. VoIP is a telephone service that uses the internet as a global phone network. A prototype of the cable was on display this week at the CommunicAsia 2005 exhibition in Singapore. The IPdrum Mobile Skype Cable connects a mobile phone to the USB and sound ports of a computer.

When the software is installed, the handset can be used as a gateway for the Skype app, allowing you to forward calls to the mobile phone you currently use. Similarly, you can use the gateway to place a call using Skype. It can also be used to send and receive SMS (short message service) messages. The Mobile Skype Cable will be particularly useful for people who have a phone contract that allows them to make free calls to people on the same network, or to a group of friends and family.

Those with this type of plan can use the cable to make free VoIP calls from anywhere using their mobile handset. In addition to Mobile Skype, IPdrum has developed a cable that can be used with conventional fixed-line phones. However, the company has chosen to focus on mobile phones because of the availability of service plans that allow free calls between users on the same network. The Mobile Skype Cable and software will be available worldwide in August.

It’s expected to retail for between £30 and £40.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Sounds interesting, can't quite see how it utilises the frre calls facility though.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Here's their website...

_http://www.ipdrum.com/

Don't see how it's that mobile when you need a cable from your phone to your PC :-doh!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I've just read the limited information on the site, but perhaps I'm being a bit dense, as I cannot see the advantage of having the mobile phone connected, unless it is to relay calls from your out and about mobile through to Skype for frre international calls, a fairly limited advantage for most people.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
Free Skype days....

_http://www.skype.com/campaigns/freeskypedays/

Status
Not open for further replies.