Modem Not Connected Message

richardinalex

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Alexandria, Egypt
I'm living in Alexandria (Egypt) - have brought out an old Grundig decoder - have picked up the Astra 2A signal (on another decoder so I can check signal strength etc - which is OK - I can view Sky News for example on this non SKY decoder)

Now I want to install the SKY decoder, so plugged in the Sat connection, went to the Services section - selected the make a "New Installation" - and after a while a message pops ups talking about the decoder not being connected to the modem.

Does the decoder have to be plugged into the telephone - if not - how do you get around the message?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The only real use for the installation feature Richard, is to activate a new Sky card, if your card is already activated or you don't have a card inserted, you don't need to use this function. You cannot use this function anyway from overseas, as it requires a UK landline connection.

If the system is failing to register a signal, you will need to change the default transponder to one on the Southern Beam.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
See Here for information on which information you need to change.

richardinalex

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Alexandria, Egypt
Rolf

Thanks for help - I'll change to South Beam transponder and try again

You say that

"The only real use for the installation feature Richard, is to activate a new Sky card"

I've just ordered the Sky card - its being sent to my UK address. I'd arranged that when it arrived (here in Egypt) that I'd get someone in UK to phone SKY to activate it (having given them Digibox details - serial number etc)

If the card is in the decoder will that be sufficient to activate it - or will the decoder try and phone the UK?

Thanks again for your help

Richard

pmcmill

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Sunny España
Actually 11719/20H has now gone (RIP) . If you can't pick up 11778V on the Northen beam try changing it to 11739V .
Paul

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
You should be OK Richard, the box does not need to phone Sky, just make sure that the card is in the digibox and it is switched on (not in standby), you may need to wait for a few hours for the card to activate.

What version of software do you have in the box Richard?

richardinalex

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Alexandria, Egypt
Rolf

"What version of software do you have in the box Richard?"

Operating System Version 12S4B2
EPG Software Version 3.1.9.5

Hope that means something?

Just off back home to try these transponder changes

Thanks again

markwilcox

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Berlin
Dear All,

We have the same problem many of you expats have, no Astra 2d channels, but we have been following the advice in this forum and got the BBC back on 2a for a few days....now we are trying to find out if 2d is possible in Berlin.

We have a panasonic 30 a .6db lnb and a 1 metre dish, with 100 signal strength and 90 quality on normal Sky default setttings.

we have tried to realign it after changing the default transponder to 10773 H 22.0 5/6 as we were advised to do,..... the signal stregth definitely changed ( 70) as though we were getting another satelite and the quality (85)changed. We have signal locked showing, but no network id or transport stream figures - both show as 0000.

Is this something we can change? It seems that we have a strong enough signal and reasonable quality on this transponder setting - is it Astra 2D and if so why no pictures?

Is there something else we can do - or is there someway of setting up the netowrk id and transport stream that we do not know of?

The truth is out there somewhere?

cheers:confused

pmcmill

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Sunny España
I wouldn't believe the signal quality indicator Mark. I'm outside the 2D footprint and I've got similar reading to you . Have a look here in the Reception Reports . There's a few reports in Germany .
Paul

G

greenman

Maybe you might consider getting a lend of a friends FTA receiver and try the new BBC freq's if you get a signal then do a scan.If you the BBC channels well great. I always found using normal FTA receivers much easier to use for signal fine tuning than the $ky box.

richardinalex

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Alexandria, Egypt
So, during lunch, in Egypt land I :-

a) Tried setting default transponder to 11739V - no joy

:cool: then tried 12205V - also no joy .... b**g*r

I keep getting the same messages:-

"No Default Transponder Found" and / or
"No Signal being received"

In the Installation details I can see the following

Signal Strengty - about 60% (Not bad for North Africa)
Signal Quality - Zero??? (Bit strange?)
Lock Indicator - Not Locked (Don't know if this is good or bad?)
Network ID - 0002 (Again - haven't a clue what this means)
Transport Stream - o7ea (Or what this means)

I have tested the signal by using another decoder (Echostar 2500P) - and, when the sat cable is connected to the Echostar I can see a good strength signal, and can watch some of the FTA channels (Sky News and TCM for example)

Anyone got any ideas avout what this means? Help much appreciated - I might have to turn the problem over to an Egyptian Sat Technician - the worst possible option!!

Cheers

Richard

richardinalex

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Alexandria, Egypt
These decoder things are a super way of passing away bits of your life - that’s what the better half reckons anyway.

Last night - changed this - changed that - messed around with this - messed around with that - and ........ - oh joy - all of a sudden the little beauty started working (but not 2D)

So at the mo - without my new little SKY card - I can pick up lots of the FTV channels on the Grundig decoder - Sky News, QVA (I hope she who must be obeyed doesn't start looking at that channel), CNN, ITN News, TCM etc etc.

So, here's today’s couple of questions ....

Most of the other channels (pay to view), when selected say (or do) one of four things:-

a) "Insert Sky Card" - presumably once the card arrives these should be OK

:cool: "No satellite signal" - BBC / Disney / ITV - presumably because its looking pretty grim to catch 2D in Alexandria

c) "There is a Technical Error with this Channel" - happened on SKY1 - any ideas what this is about?

d) Nothing - no message - no picture - any idea what this is about?

Is there a particularly weak transponder that has FTA channels - which I can check to make sure I'm picking up all the other Astra beams?

If this all works I won't know what to do with my time?

Cheers

Richard

(Working on a Sunday - because here Friday = Sunday!)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Hi richard, the technical problem message can mean almost anything, it may clear when you get your card and activate it, but Sky 1 has only just moved to the Southern beam and may not yet work through the EPG.

It would be interesting to know which settings you used to finally get it up and running.

As far as I know, there is only one other member in your neck of the woods and he's in Cairo with a three metre dish, but can't get 2D. Iceman can get 2D in Cyprus with a 4.2 metre dish and I would guess that he's about the next closest (not very though).

richardinalex

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Alexandria, Egypt
Rolf

I'll post details of what I can and can't receive when we get the card activated (and equipment)

Do you have any idea of which transponders are the weakest - so I can check them now?

Thanks

Richard

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I'm afraid I don't Richard, someone like Iceman who is out on the fringe and has the benefit of professional measuring equipment will possibly be able to advise. Here in the UK there are no significant differences, or at least none that I have measured as it is not an issue.

With regard to your settings I was referring more to your dish size, lnb type and what setting you had used for default transponder.

The software version is only important in that the older versions will not recognise the new cards, your should be OK.

richardinalex

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Alexandria, Egypt
Thanks Rolf

I'll try and get ahold of the Iceman (in Cairo rather difficult to have any ICE!)

I'll check the LNB tonight and post it here tomorrow

Dish size 1.8m

Default Transponder - 12205

Grundig Decoder GDS 200

Richard

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Iceman is in Cyprus Richard, Robbiewright is the member in Cairo, but isn't always available, I'm sure that Iceman will read this thread and offer any information he has, but what is weak there, may be simply unreceivable at your location.

frassle

Non-Activated User
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Cyprus
Richard

I think you will definitely struggle with th 1.8

I'm in the south of Cyprus so I'm a bit closer to you, we are probably only 100 miles apart. Presently using a 2.7 and picking up 2D. Struggling with an 80 metre cable run though. Like you I tweak this adjust that etc. I do have a digital analyser on it but 2D is just under it's threshold. When I was using a 1.8 I would use 11740 V 27500 2/3 and that would usually work sometimes with channel 4.

Hope that helps.