Money Grabbers

G

groundsman

So with the end of ITVD I just phoned SKY to re-instate my contract with them. Unfortunately I have an old Amstrad decoder which, obviously doesn't work. They would not replace it unless I paid £215 for a new one.
Alternative is subscribe again in partners name. Would then have to pay £70 installation charge for a dish that is already there.
Guess I will just have ITV's free stuff for a while.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
There's a place in Basinstoke that repairs amstrads for a set fee, may be worth contacting them. Alternatively there are loads of boxes available for under £80 on the net.

Rolf

PS. My Amstrad was one of the first out of the factory and its still going. :)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
News is the government were either going to give the pensioners an extra £30 for cold weather payments, or issue them with an Amstrad Digibox

I dont think £80 includes the upgrade with cooling fan.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
So you just stick your Gran in front of it and she can dissipate the heat with her feet. :)

Rolf

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
@ Groundsman, Have you been on the Sky web site? They have the £1 installation deal on there, it would have to be your wife's installation and you have to initially subscribe to the top package, but apparently you can change to a lower package after one month.

Rolf

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Unfortunately the 1 pound offer is per house (address), not per name at house, so your wife’s name would not work unless you also fiddle the address.

However Sky is also now offering 2nd boxes at 169 pounds that is not bad, and if you go to an independent installer you get to pick your box model etc.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 01-May-02 AT 05:09 PM (GMT)]Does work polo mint, "the Annexe" 128 City Rd, or just 128a City Rd works in most cases. Having said that, I wouldn't have thought that it would have been a bad deal at £70 for the basic install, particularly if you get a brand new box.

In fact the more I think about this Groundsman, talk about wanting jam on it, you cancel your Sky subscription because a) the box is broken, or :cool: you're getting the channels for free from a hacked ITV digital, then when it's impossible to get the free ITV anymore, you expect Sky to give you a new box. Surprised you didn't demand two. :)

Rolf

G

groundsman

I do like jam on it but:
a) I cancelled sky because reception in Scotland is worse due to small dish and they would not fit larger dish or even reposition small one,
:cool: I subscribed to ITVD basic package,
c) Only after reconnecting SKY box did I discover it was knacked,
d) All is now well as neighbours moved to building where they could not erect dish, so got their old box, and have had dish repositioned for £30.
Jammy, Yum, Yum.
(Now, how do I get SKY for free?)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire