More advice needed from Ibiza!

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
The stock image seemed to do all I needed.
What I mean is a stock image is written commercially. To a commercial venture time is money and for that reason it will never have the time and love spent on it that goes into a non-commercial venture.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
I often wondered whether a single LNB would give me the best picture quality/ lowest BER and you seemed to have proved it.
That's not a rule. It just happens to be the case with that particular LNB.

Hughes

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax Foxsat HDR, Samsung Sky+ HD, Skybox, Fransat HD box, Fransat SD box
Several dishes up to 150cm, receiving 28E 26E 19E 13E 9E 5W
My Location
Lugo, Galicia, Spain
I often wondered whether a single LNB would give me the best picture quality/ lowest BER and you seemed to have proved it.

I know I can only record/watch fewer channels at once but always wanted the best reception I could get ( for a given price point )
I too want the best possible reception so at the moment single Inverto Black Ultra it is. I do have a spare 1m25 offset dish, so I may line that up on 28E with another single IBU, or with the Opticum quad, if it is indeed in my christmas stocking, thus getting my 4 feeds, but off two dishes. Also I will be able to compare a prime focus 1m50 dish with the "wrong" type of LNB , and a Televés 1m25 dish with the "right" LNB. I expect the 1m50 to win....

A

archive10

I know I can only record/watch fewer channels at once but always wanted the best reception I could get ( for a given price point )
I've compared the single and the quad version for Inverto Black Ultra with a meter, and there is so little difference to make it within manufacturing tolerances or even daily fluctuations. Do not have a twin, but the single, the quad, and the quattro are virtually identical in performance.

Menorca Man

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ HD (2GB Amstrad DRX890) + Generic 1.65m x 1.5m offset with Opticum LQP-04H Quad LNB
My Location
Ciutadella de Menorca
There are a number of threads on this forum in which the relative performance of the Inverto Black Ultra Single, Twin and Quad have been compared. In each case the Single performed best whilst the Twin consistently came last. Consensus of opinion is that, for fringe area reception, the single feed LNB of choice is the Inverto BU Single.

Unfortunately I require more than a single feed (two for myself and one for a neighbour) so have had to settle for a quad. I'm at the edge of the Astra 2E/2F Cataluña null and over the past 8 months I've tried the quad version of the following LNBs:

Grundig (original installation) - very average performance
Inverto Black Ultra - good
MTI Highline - good
Goobay - inconsistent (good on some transponders but awful on others)
Opticum 3711 - marginally better than either the Inverto or the MTI and is the LNB that I'm currently using

Last edited:

Hughes

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax Foxsat HDR, Samsung Sky+ HD, Skybox, Fransat HD box, Fransat SD box
Several dishes up to 150cm, receiving 28E 26E 19E 13E 9E 5W
My Location
Lugo, Galicia, Spain
There are a number of threads on this forum in which the relative performance of the Inverto Black Ultra Single, Twin and Quad have been compared. In each case the Single performed best whilst the Twin consistently came last. Consensus of opinion is that, for fringe area reception, the single feed LNB of choice is the Inverto BU Single.

Grundig (original installation) - very average performance
Inverto Black Ultra - good
MTI Highline - good
Goobay - inconsistent (good on some transponders but awful on others)
Opticum 3711 - marginally better than either the Inverto or the MTI and is the LNB that I'm currently using
Interesting observations, Menorca Man. I found the Black Ultra twin to be better than the quad, but I'm using a mismatched prime focus dish. When signal levels are lower than usual, I try different BBC regions, HD or SD, Wales, Scotland. The Humax Foxsat receiver also allows you to change ITV regions by keying in appropriate postcodes, very useful if you are not a Sky subscriber...

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
I've compared the single and the quad version for Inverto Black Ultra with a meter, and there is so little difference to make it within manufacturing tolerances or even daily fluctuations. Do not have a twin, but the single, the quad, and the quattro are virtually identical in performance.
Not a very scientific statement, because no one knows what you are testing. And if the meter can't see the difference you need to return it as faulty. There is a huge difference between the the Single and the Twin in band D. And you talk about daily fluctuation as if it is nothing, but that is not true either. For a lot of people it is the difference between viewing and not viewing, and if the change from one of those LNBs to the other gives that effect, for some it will be enough to better their viewing from part time to full time.

Clown man

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28,2 & 19,2 on Gibby 150cm ..2x Opticum Premium LNB's....Opticum 5x12 Multiswitch....Humax Freesat HDR's custom FW ...Pioneer Kuro & Panasonic Viera W60 Plasma tv's
My Location
Munich.....Germany......
It's also a big thumbs Up form me.... for the Opticum Quad for fringe reception of 28,2........But its the opposite to the case with IBU......avoid the Opticum single output version......

A

archive10

Not a very scientific statement, because no one knows what you are testing. And if the meter can't see the difference you need to return it as faulty. There is a huge difference between the the Single and the Twin in band D. And you talk about daily fluctuation as if it is nothing, but that is not true either. For a lot of people it is the difference between viewing and not viewing, and if the change from one of those LNBs to the other gives that effect, for some it will be enough to better their viewing from part time to full time.
That's not what I wrote.
I do not claim to conduct scientific experiments, I just compared a Single and a Quad, and found very little difference.
(I did use a ProMax TV Explorer II+, which was calibrated only a year earlier, and otherwise sees very little use.)
I made no comparison between the single and the dual, indeed I wrote I have no duals to compare with.
And finally, I commented that the difference I measured was so little, that you might see this variation between different LNBs of the same model. OR, differences that could be due to daily fluctuations, as I did not measure the two LNBs at the same time of day.

Nagusia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 0p150 with single Inverto Black Ultra plugged into Humax FOXSAT HDR | Portable 80 cm dish with IBU plugged into TechniSat SkyStar USB HD DVB-S2 receiver/W7 64 Media Center / ProgDVB setup.
My Location
20 km south of San Sebastian N Spain
It's also a big thumbs Up form me.... for the Opticum Quad for fringe reception of 28,2........But its the opposite to the case with IBU......avoid the Opticum single output version......
Just out of interest clown man ... how does the Opticum Quad compare with the Invacrom C120 Quad used with the Gibertini feedhorn? The Invacrom is really pricey (too much just for experiments) and the Opticum only 14 euros on Amazon.

MarkW

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 Galaxy,IBU single,Technomate 5402M3
My Location
Jesi,Italy
Just out of interest clown man ... how does the Opticum Quad compare with the Invacrom C120 Quad used with the Gibertini feedhorn? The Invacrom is really pricey (too much just for experiments) and the Opticum only 14 euros on Amazon.
I did that comparison earlier this year and got a marked improvement with the Opticum Quad BUT I only have a 1.2m dish and it was on 27.5W