More advice needed from Ibiza!

rewdan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1980s 1.5m offset dish, single output black ultra on a homemade sturdy mount, getting all channels 24/7 from sky with a pace digibox but no subscription so only bbc1,2 itv etc.
My Location
Sante Eulalia, Ibiza,Spain
Thanks again to those who have helped me over the years with my battle to watch tv from my holiday home in Ibiza, you have always sorted my problems.
My current situation is a bit different to the previous ones and I am hoping someone can give me a breakdown of what is going on.
I have a 1.5 dish with a black ultra lnb and an old grundig box.
The thing is that I am getting all the ftv channels 24/7 when I am here on holiday and am very happy. When I arrive the box has gone to standby with a red light on it, I switch it on to green light and it tells me there is no signal...give it an hour and all the channels are on as normal.
This morning whilst watching the news a strange red light appeared on the box, the channels disappeared and no tv. An hour later and it was all back on again.
In between I tried manual tuning several transponder numbers but no joy,
Currently the default transponder is 11778 V 27.5 2/3 which is saying no signal.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Grundig = nothing but trouble

Take the top of the case off & inspect the capacitors on the main circuit board. Chances are some of them will be bulging or leaking especially around the power supply area.

Keep your fingers well clear when you are looking - modern power supplies can give a nasty shock long after being unplugged

(Caps are the cylindrical components with a Y or K embossed on the top of the cylinder - pics are available on line of failed caps)

rewdan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1980s 1.5m offset dish, single output black ultra on a homemade sturdy mount, getting all channels 24/7 from sky with a pace digibox but no subscription so only bbc1,2 itv etc.
My Location
Ok, to add to the above, I have just used the services 401 select to find the default transponder and signal strength as posted above, went back to the tv and have lost all channels again. I am hoping the box will retune itself after hollyoaks has finished but I really have no idea what is going on.
Any info as to why I am able to get all channels and what my box should be tuned to would be great.
Thanks all

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
As stated, failing Power Supply Electrolytic Capacitors ..............................

rewdan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Thanks Analoguesat, you helped me before a few years ago and it's all been good since then.
Made a mistake, it's a pace box but last time you helped me out it was astra 2d and I kinda got my head around it, right now my telly is saying no satellite signal is being recieved but I know it is, just unsure how to get it to see it.
I have totally clear/ unpixulated tv when this doesn't happen 24hrs
What do you recommend

rewdan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
thanks Tivu
you guys are posting faster than I can type

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
................. replacement of Power Supply Smoothing Capacitors

Edit: Whoops!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Could still be a failing box , its worth popping the top off and having a look anyway.

Or maybe a failing lnb, or a marginally misaligned dish.

If its happening about the same time every day then look for a local source of interference - a car driving towards the house with a radar detector on the dahboard a newly installed repeater station kicking in, a neighbours wifi or dect phone or etc.,

rewdan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
oddly, we have just purchased a wifi dongle for the house, I am using it right now to send you this. Could it be this? Also, do I need a default transponder for my box to work properly, the current on has no signal ?

rewdan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
just changed the box for a nearly new sky plus box and it said the same thing, no signal being received.

Could the wifi dongle be messing with the lnb? Not sure how it works.

Problem I do have is that I will have no internet if I turn the wifi off, bit of a catch 22 when I need the advice from you guys.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Well not really a problem to check: Just remove the dongle, test the boxes to see if the behaviour improves, then re-attach your dongle to let us know what happened.

rewdan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
but do I need a new default transponder or should I wait for the box to retune auotmatically

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
12051 V 27.5 2/3 is one of the strongest transponders around here.

Hixxy1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800/7020Si/7000S, VU+ Duo, Skybox F3 & F5, TM1000D, Skystar 2 DVBdream, Triax TD110, Darkmotor, Inverto Black, Hotbird 13 Zone 2 MK 4, 28.2 Zone 1 MK4
My Location
East Midlands
Also depends which model of Pace box you have. Some had some really dodgy tuners where a surface mount capacitor would fail.

rewdan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Thanks again,

I went to bed last night hoping the box would retune itself over night, but still nothing this morning.

Was going to switch the dongle off but decided to check this thread first, put in 12051 as the default transponder, did a manual tune and all the channels came back straight away, I am getting a very strong signal.
Happy days are here again.

Just a quick question, is this likely to last or is the footprint on the Uk going to get tighter, we are thinking of mooving here permanently so it would be nice to know we have tv for the foreseeable future.

Cheers

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Sounds like good news for you, then, for now: Astra 2E launches in Summer, also with narrow beam capability and we can't exactly predict what further effects there will be as the contours of 2F show marked changes over only a few km.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Ah good - a result. Now if the box gets the merest sniff of the main default tp it will revert back again.

I would imagine things to do with default tp's should get better after 2E launches for some areas - there are no north / south beams on the new birds, just west European.

rewdan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sorry I have been off for a couple of days, we are sharing my wifes laptop and I managed to open a virus and destroy loads of her work! Nearly a divorce situation. She has just let me back on and I can report that the box has gone back to 11.778, we seem to loose the epg but the rest of the channels are fine, I put the 12.051 in and it's all back to normal again.
I will wait to see what happens in the summer, went to a friends house locally and he has all the same channels as me with a 1m dish s I am hoping we will be fine.

You guys have helped me so many times now, you ever get to Ibiza look me up, beers are on me!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
At some point during the day the default tp is peaking up enough to be recognised on the box. When this happens it will immediately revert.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Analoguesat said:
At some point during the day the default tp is peaking up enough to be recognised on the box. When this happens it will immediately revert.
This only happens if you use the EPG (because the EPG background audio is on that transponder). It can't happen at any other time because the tuner is already tied up on the current service so it is not possible for it to look at other transponders.