More LNB's = More Signal ?

koansrc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
CM 3.0m @ 28.2 w PACE
My Location
Athens-Greece
Would it make any sense to use the outputs from a dual lnb (or 2 seperate LNBs) and join them into one cable, in order to increase signal ????

d122k7trb

Judas Priest
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IClass Receiver
2 Premium X LNBs Hotbird+ Nilesat
120" Dish

Computer system:
AMD Phenom Quad quad core 9750
4GB DDR2 Bus 800 RAM
MB: Asus Crosshair
1 TB Seagate Barracuda 32 MB cache
22" LCD Widescreen Samsung 226BW
SB X-Fi Xtreme
My Location
Armenia, ME: The Arab Countries
You wanna use 2 LNBs in one direction or what? in two different directions?
My idea is that you can use one with a greater range of Ku and C bands fqs with it's two parts to be strengthened: LNA and LNC

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
koansrc said:
Would it make any sense to use the outputs from a dual lnb (or 2 seperate LNBs) and join them into one cable, in order to increase signal ????

No you can't, it will have the opposite effect, as although your signal level may look the same, you signal quality will drop dramatically.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
only way to get more signal is to have a bigger dish, more accurate alignment, good quality lnb and coax cable

also sensitivity of the receiver is very important especially in fringe areas

the_happy_traveller

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
freesat HD (time to join 21st century)
comag sl65
comag porty II (camping)
Pace Prima (analogue)
Assortment of dishes.
computer:
Shiney new Acer
My Location
Derbyshire, England
wod said:
also sensitivity of the receiver is very important especially in fringe areas

I'll second that. My Lidl kit dual lnb (28e) is connected to a porty box and an SL65.
SL65 = 90-95% strength & 85-90% quality whereas Porty only has 70-75% strength and 55-65% quality.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Always bear in mind that it isn't what the box shows in signal strength and quality that says how sensitive, it is how the box performs on weak signals against another and at what stage they stop providing solid reception.

You will see a different figure shown for strength and quality, if looking at two same model boxes, they are not calibrated for accurate reading and only show a percentage guide.

the_happy_traveller

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
freesat HD (time to join 21st century)
comag sl65
comag porty II (camping)
Pace Prima (analogue)
Assortment of dishes.
computer:
Shiney new Acer
My Location
Derbyshire, England
I know what you're saying, but you have managed to explain it better than I ever could.:-worship

Porty loses reception at anything lower than about 60% quality whereas SL65 wiil hold a pic down to 25-30%

Thanks for the explaination.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
the_happy_traveller said:
Porty loses reception at anything lower than about 60% quality whereas SL65 wiil hold a pic down to 25-30%

Thanks for the explaination.

My portyII is the same, when I just had a minidish pointed at Hispasat after I first moved house, I had alsorts of problems with digital channels when the signal level dropped below exactly 61% quality, and when that happened I always lept up to fiddle with my dish (indoor dish you see) to try to get it above 62%, but not always succeeding, so I was pleased when I got my supposedly 80cm lidl dish (70cm actually!!! 'O'-red ) and I had signal quality from 70-90%....

koansrc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
CM 3.0m @ 28.2 w PACE
My Location
Athens-Greece
I am in a fringe reception area (!) and the only box I have ever used is the Pace 2600. It will give a clear picture even when the signal strength and quality bars are barely above 0. But I do get rain fade and I do loose some channels when it clouds over, hence looking for ways to increase signal.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
koansrc said:
I am in a fringe reception area (!) and the only box I have ever used is the Pace 2600. It will give a clear picture even when the signal strength and quality bars are barely above 0. But I do get rain fade and I do loose some channels when it clouds over, hence looking for ways to increase signal.

A bigger dish is the only way to improve your situation... :)