More movie signing at BSkyB

N

net1

BSkyB is to celebrate the International Day of Disabled Persons, next Wednesday 3 December, with the launch of sign language interpretation on Sky Movies.

Sky seems determined to lead the way for improved services for visually and aurally handicapped people. It is offering "an increasing choice of accessible programmes and services for deaf and hard of hearing viewers."

Sky Movies will broadcast two films carrying open sign language interpretation at peak time. Bend it Like Beckham and Children of a Lesser God will be fully signed for Sky digital viewers on Sky Movies 9 from 8pm. The event signals the launch of a monthly signed film strand in peak time on Sky Movies.

From January 2004, Sky Movies 9 will broadcast two signed films on the first Sunday of every month, beginning with A Beautiful Mind and John Q at 8pm on 4th January.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Well they sure need commending for this, they appear to at least be trying with their accessibility facilities.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Children of a Lesser God was made in 1986 and has probably been seen by everybody. Whilst it is certainly a great film, it already has the lead characters using sign language in most scenes.
John Q has little or no relevance to disabled people other than most of the script takes place in a hospital.
A Beatiful Mind is undoubtedly a superb film, dealing with the desire to overcome a mental illness (once again a little removed from the disabilities linked with the need for sign language use)
Bend it like Beckham is probably the most relevant out of the four, however it was a premier film just over a year ago on Sky and I wonder if this would be seen as a quick release for revenue sake

I can think of a lot of films and documentaries that would give those with disability (along with the rest of the family) , a more enjoyable night in, whether these would transfer to signing as easily is another question.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Something like "Gone in Sixty Seconds" would be easy to do. :)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I meant thought provoking (and with decent acting). GISS seems to be a little lacking in both

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
The Ferrari put in a solid performane I thought. ;)