Moteck motors got really bad quality!

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
All i can say that when it's installed and peaked to the arc it's working great, after that, don't touch it til it breaks down, that is the general rule with most products coming from China or Taiwan.

The U-clamps have a tendency to break, Chinese metal that melts.

Change the clamps and install it.

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini OP 125 L, Smart Titanium lnb with CD-80 feedhorn, Moteck SG-2500, Azbox HD Premium+, some 5 meters of good quality coax
My Location
Sweden
Claudio said:
Oh dear.... just bought a Moteck myself and was planning to install it today then I had a look at this forum and :-doh! 1) I'm not sure is such a bargain after all but above all 2) I'm not sure I can install it with my current config ! (see links below...)

http://www.luciani.plus.com/Pics/Sat_1.JPG
http://www.luciani.plus.com/Pics/Sat_2.JPG

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Claudio

Just change your wall bracket/mount and the Moteck will serve you well.

makedonas

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax 5400
85cm dish
H-H100
My Location
stockholm
@BGonaSTICK

(Shame about the clunky dish mount bracket... maybe that's up for renewal next)

Not only renewal but keeping the elektronics from the Stab, is going to be a new H-H with new mecanical parts (gears and else ) into an oil box...and then another Dish (100-110cm)....it will take some time but I am going to do it.
The 3D CAD drawings are ready but no time for ...doing things.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Claudio said:
Oh dear.... just bought a Moteck myself and was planning to install it today then I had a look at this forum and :-doh! 1) I'm not sure is such a bargain after all but above all 2) I'm not sure I can install it with my current config ! (see links below...)

http://www.luciani.plus.com/Pics/Sat_1.JPG
http://www.luciani.plus.com/Pics/Sat_2.JPG

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Claudio

Hi Claudio
I still think the Motek is a good motor, regardless of the clamps (I for one never had problems with it even though I loosened them off several times for changing dish etc. Maybe people are putting too much load on them so they shear...(As a Motorcycle technician who restored lots of old motorcycles maybe I have a feel for dodgy threads? :))

And with the wall support, I say just try it out before doing anything. My setup is also supposed to be no good, the pole is too thin and the position too exposed, but still I get it work ok. So, chin up and go for it!

johnsattuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield 5800 Echostar3000,DB7000, Relook 400S, Humax HDC2000, 55cm Fibo Gregorian dish with waveguide and Motek 2100 mod, 90cm Fibo Gregorian dish, 120cm Fibo Gregorian dish on a 1224 motor with waveguide
My Location
West Mids, UK
Hi Likvid
Interesting thread, I have just put a Moteq motor on my 90cm Fibo dish, working great.
Did you change it to get the advantage of Diseq, that was my reason, I did consider a V box but it's yet another box, more cable and more than the price of a motor.
I used the origional Fibo mounting system, this means that the motor only has to do rotating duties, it does not have to support the dish.
I made an adaptor and sat the motor above the spindle. The Moteq was good for the job because I could take off the angled dish mount, leaving me with a nice stubby spindle to use.
A bit subjective, but I think it is a little quieter than the Fibo motor and certainly no slower. I am considering un-riveting the dish from it's diecast frame and glueing it back on with windscreen adhesive, to deaden the noise, I feel that the dish acts like a loudspeaker horn. I am also looking at ways to counter-balance the dish in its off centre positions, which would reduce motor loading and noise.
So far I am very pleased at the results and I may put one on my 120cm dish, although I don't really use it enough to bother.
As a side result I do have spare Fibo motors if anybody is stuck.

John

Claudio

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Receiver - Echostar DSB-890 2CI
CAMS - Dragon 4.1
Cards - Dragon Loader, Gold Card
Programmers - Infinity USB Unlimited
Motor - SG2100A
My Location
London
Hi, T_G/steffan_st/Likvid thanks for your quick replies/feedback. Sounds like I'll better leave the installation to a proper technician. Does anyone know a good one (possibly not too expensive...
icon10.gif
) around SW17 in London ? (don't trust the one I know...
icon13.gif
). Thanks Claudio

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Claudio said:
Hi, T_G/steffan_st/Likvid thanks for your quick replies/feedback. Sounds like I'll better leave the installation to a proper technician. Does anyone know a good one (possibly not too expensive...
icon10.gif
) around SW17 in London ? (don't trust the one I know...
icon13.gif
). Thanks Claudio

Listen, if reaching the motor and the mount is not life threatening dangerous why don't you try playing with it first? You can always give up later and get someone who will take of those hard earned £££

As long as you don't use force you can't do much damage, Even I managed to get the motor working, there are a lot of threads here with explenations on how to do it and what is important to de/remember whilst doing it.

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
The clamps will sheer of one way or another, it's better to lay the responsibility on the installer as he will get new clamps.

What is the chance they sheer off for him as well? 99.9%

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini OP 125 L, Smart Titanium lnb with CD-80 feedhorn, Moteck SG-2500, Azbox HD Premium+, some 5 meters of good quality coax
My Location
Sweden
johnsattuk said:
Hi Likvid
Interesting thread, I have just put a Moteq motor on my 90cm Fibo dish, working great.
Did you change it to get the advantage of Diseq, that was my reason, I did consider a V box but it's yet another box, more cable and more than the price of a motor.
I used the origional Fibo mounting system, this means that the motor only has to do rotating duties, it does not have to support the dish.
I made an adaptor and sat the motor above the spindle. The Moteq was good for the job because I could take off the angled dish mount, leaving me with a nice stubby spindle to use.
A bit subjective, but I think it is a little quieter than the Fibo motor and certainly no slower. I am considering un-riveting the dish from it's diecast frame and glueing it back on with windscreen adhesive, to deaden the noise, I feel that the dish acts like a loudspeaker horn. I am also looking at ways to counter-balance the dish in its off centre positions, which would reduce motor loading and noise.
So far I am very pleased at the results and I may put one on my 120cm dish, although I don't really use it enough to bother.
As a side result I do have spare Fibo motors if anybody is stuck.

John

This sounds interesting,can you post a couple of pics of the Fibo+Moteck?

johnsattuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield 5800 Echostar3000,DB7000, Relook 400S, Humax HDC2000, 55cm Fibo Gregorian dish with waveguide and Motek 2100 mod, 90cm Fibo Gregorian dish, 120cm Fibo Gregorian dish on a 1224 motor with waveguide
My Location
West Mids, UK
steffan_st said:
This sounds interesting,can you post a couple of pics of the Fibo+Moteck?

Weather permitting I will take some pics tomorrow and see if I can work out how to post them.
It is on a ground pole at the moment, while I am modding/playing with it, so is quite accessable

johnsattuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
West Mids, UK
johnsattuk said:
Weather permitting I will take some pics tomorrow and see if I can work out how to post them.
It is on a ground pole at the moment, while I am modding/playing with it, so is quite accessable

Photos as promised, short pause in rain

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sweden
johnsattuk said:
Photos as promised, short pause in rain
Nice piece of work Mr.homebrewer!:-clap

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Very nice job John, do you mind if I add your posts to the Pictures of members' Systems section? I think that it would make a nice illustration for others with knackered Fibo motors.

Perhaps you ought to think about marketing your conversion kit. :)

johnsattuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
West Mids, UK
rolfw said:
Very nice job John, do you mind if I add your posts to the Pictures of members' Systems section? I think that it would make a nice illustration for others with knackered Fibo motors.

Perhaps you ought to think about marketing your conversion kit. :)

Hi
No objections about adding the pics, and quite willing to help anybody if I can with more pics etc. My next step is to counter-balance the dish, probably with a spring.
As a result of the mods I do now have spare Fibo motors if anybody requires.

Missey

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Athlon 2400
Nexus-s
Progdvb
sg2100
My Location
Nova Scotia
How I fixed mine was to insert a piece of 1/4" aluminum in side the Bracket.(you could 3/16"steel). Throw the u-bolts a way that come with it and use grade 3 or 5 bolts. ( I happened to have some 5/16" threaded rod on hand, did the job )The material the bracket is made from is so soft it will bend and flex before you get it tight on your mounting pole.I mounted a 39" steel dish and when I lifted up and down on the dish arm lightly I could see the bracket flex.When you tighten the motor and bracket use a level a crossed the top of the bracket because it will tighten up on the mounting pole on an angle if you are not careful.

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Yes the bracket flex, you notice this very much when you have a pipe diameter of 60mm as i do, then you can see while you tighten the bolts on the clamps that the metal in the bracket weakens.

The metals used is among the worst i ever seen in a product.

I wish i could try out the STAB motor and do a comparison but i don't see any reason to throw out cash right now when the Moteck works perfectly fine.

I have to wait til it breaks down, then it will be a STAB HH120 for sure.

gilleroo

Reaction score
My Location
Co Fermanagh N Ireland the most western part of the uk
Likvid I had a manhatten?Stab 120, moving a 1 meter dish, for over a year which popped its clogs recently and it was replaced without question by Eurosat for a new Manhatten Alu 140 which has an excellent build quality. Made in Europe and works perfectly.So full marks to Eurosat for great service so I can recomend the Manhatten brand.I note that new motors have only one years warrenty now.

don'tknowdon'taskme

Part Timer
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 800HD DreamBox 7025 PVR160g HD,500s Dreambox ,Sly+ Full Package,SkyCard 2, And a Eagle 500 Clone DM500 TM755,TM9100 Linux
Channel Master 1.2m,1224EL Supermount Orbit Tracking Motor With c120 Feed Horn Invacom Quad Lnb Cas3 SC Dragon Progr
My Location
that would be telling
the thing is the Chinese can make the product so cheap because of the cheap labour and materials. companys can buy the product with shipping and tax cheaper than an english company can buy the raw materials for no wonder we buy cheap shitty Chinese crap.

techmob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80 cm dish, superjack dg120, technomate 1500ci+
My Location
north wales
Likvid said:
Much much better now when i changed the clamps and bolts all over, it's like a another thing now, pretty stable and solid.

I really recommend you people to change the clamps and put wingnuts on, it is like day and night.

so glad i found this thread, interesting read and i have not yet finished reading it, but i would like to comment now regarding an exact same problem as yourself and i guess many other people

i have the superjack dg120 , it is near identical as the moteck 2100 inclduding the crap metal u bolt... both of my square u bolts are nackerd, one is snapped as the nut locked up on it when i tried to undo it, and the other is just goosed to!

so i currently have my dish and motor down, until i find a solution to this problem,i am looking for replacment u bolts but no where does them and the manufactorer isn't responding to my emails..

i have bought some high tensity rod, which i can cut into 4x 5" pieces and 12 nuts which will allow me to fix the bolted thread via a nut on the inside of the housing and a nut on the outside of the housing thus stopping it from moving.. will this be strong enough to support this motor and an 80 cm dish,only thing is it doesn't have the square u part of the bolt that slots through the motor housing, does this provide any needed strength to the setup or will the above way i have mentioned work fine for me?

ideally i would like the exact square u bolt type but obviously better quality, but i shall read on through this topic and hopefully someone can give me an answer

thanks guys!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The cross piece does provide little extra support, but I managed to fix one with four long coach bolts, filed off one side of the head so that it locked against the bracket corner and it worked fine.

If in doubt, then use a couple of drilled steel plates to match the holes and provide some extra rigidity, similar to what Likvid has done wit a single plate.