Moteck motors got really bad quality!

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
I am so angry now because i bought a Moteck 2100A motor to my Fibo 90cm dish and was trying to install it today.

What happens?

The shitty cheap Chinese quality of the metal is really bad, sorry for my bad english but i am really pissed)(-red

I tried to loosen one of the bolts on the U-clamps, what happens? well it got tighten like crazy and sheers off....

I am really getting tired of all cheap stuff that comes in from China, they can't even put good metal in their products.

So what do i do now? the Moteck doesn't seem that stable either to be honest, still everyone prays for the Moteck, what's the deal? the quality is really bad.

I am heading for the STAB HH120, can anyone give me their personal experience of that? it seems to have real metal, that is a good start.

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
Likvid said:
I am so angry now because i bought a Moteck 2100A motor to my Fibo 90cm dish and was trying to install it today.

What happens?

The shitty cheap Chinese quality of the metal is really bad, sorry for my bad english but i am really pissed)(-red

I tried to loosen one of the bolts on the U-clamps, what happens? well it got tighten like crazy and sheers off....

I am really getting tired of all cheap stuff that comes in from China, they can't even put good metal in their products.

So what do i do now? the Moteck doesn't seem that stable either to be honest, still everyone prays for the Moteck, what's the deal? the quality is really bad.

I am heading for the STAB HH120, can anyone give me their personal experience of that? it seems to have real metal, that is a good start.

I have a Manhattan HH120 for the last 18mts and no problems with it. Put 3 more in in the last 10mts for friends and no problems with them either. Good solid body on it and good quality clamps. I paid Around 160 euro each for them here.

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
I will check Manhattans out, thanks.

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
I have now modified the sucker and changed the clamps to real European steel and fitted wingnuts which makes the installation even easier.

This is how real stuff should look like.

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
What a shame there are no before pictures, would have demonstrated your point nicely. :)

What's with the wing/butterfly nuts Likvid?, is it not better to have M6 Nylocks or standard S/S nuts and a pair of nordlocks instead?? Just wondering.

L. :)

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Would be pretty hard to install the mount if i had locknuts mate...

With wingnuts i can tighten it when i am installing without using the tool and afterwards i can tighten it with a tool as the wingnut got both a standard nut and a wing, you can pick and choose whatever you like, it's very neat.

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Here is the picture of true Chinese quality and the sheered off nut.

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Yes - you can see where it was failing, in a completely different place to where it gave up in the end. Perhaps they really are made of cheese. :rolleyes:

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Yes, cheese was a good word :D

This was the same steel, is it steel? anyway the same as the Wavefrontier.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Well, I got one of them for the last two years on my roof and for the 59 Euros I paid incl. a 2 years warranty I think this is a good deal. You might have had a bad one, but many are very happy with it. that's a fact.
Now, the Moteck is made in China, but probably on order from a European manufacturer/company/distributer which sets the demand for a cheap as p[ossible price. I have got good experience with production in the far east and China, and I can categorically claim that they can produce good quality, sometimess even better than european. All depends what you order. So, not being Chinese myself, I have to defend them and their production. They got nowadays modern Cam/Cad systems and production abilities to match anyone...They got of course the advantage of cheap labour, but the old argument that anything made in China, Taiwan or Hong Kong is cheap crap is no longer true in my opinion.

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
T_G said:
Well, I got one of them for the last two years on my roof and for the 59 Euros I paid incl. a 2 years warranty

Well as long as it is cheap it's good right?

I am used to high quality material from the broadcasting world and i this is truly crap quality and i don't agree with you that China makes better products these days, what are you comparing with?

Their steel quality has always been famous for being weak, this is no exception and yes i know many people who thinks Moteck is crap, that is a fact!:rolleyes:

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini OP 125 L, Smart Titanium lnb with CD-80 feedhorn, Moteck SG-2500, Azbox HD Premium+, some 5 meters of good quality coax
My Location
Sweden
I've had a similar problem with my Moteck,a nut got stuck on the clamp and I had to use the hacksaw.

If you are used to quality steel this is real junk and I hope the dish wont fall down during the next storm.

Actually I would rather have paid twice the amount or more to get good equipment.

The bad quality of the Chinese steel is a well known fact here in Sweden and actually there are Chinese workers here looking for steel and believe it or not they are sitting in the scrap metal containers sorting the stuff before they ship it to China(this is NOT a joke)!

nezbit

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM5620-S Gemini 3.10, 80cm Dish on Moteck SG2100A, MRev2.25, Sky+, Sagem dBox2, DM500c Neutrino dPlus V2.01
My Location
Manchester
Ok, this is a very relevant thread to me as I am just about to take the plunge into the motorised world, the Moteck 2100 being the motor I was looking at given the good reviews elsewhere in the forums and its apparent ease of installation. Can all you Moteck bashers suggest an alternative motor for my DB5620-S that isn't going to break the bank? Or would I be better buying the Moteck and replacing the u clamps and bolts, with wingnuts similar to Likvid perhaps?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I have only had one U bolt breakage with Motecks, but agree that it is not the best part of the motor. :) I replaced mine with two long coach bolts, filing off half of the head so that it locked in place. It could equally be done with threaded rod, or long bolts, locked off at the bracket end with another nut.

My first solution was to have a U bolt made from threaded rod, but the little engineering company made such an accurate copy, that they copied the broken side as well. :) :-lmao

Besides the U bolt quality problem, i still stand by the motor as being easy to install and in my opinion one of the best around, certainly at the price.

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
I can't tell if STAB is better but looking at the pictures it seems more solid and have correct steel in the U-clamps.

I was lucky finding some old U-clamps that fitted perfectly from a old dish i had in my closet, exact same width and everything, only difference it was high quality steel.

So now i will give it a shot and see how it works, better yet i can use it now til it breaks and then i can buy a real STAB HH120 instead.

Nezbit:

What i have found on the net is that Moteck is made of cheap steel and that the parts inside the housing where all cogs are made of plastics and the PCB board is cheap.

The STAB is all steel cogs inside, high quality steel on the clamps and the PCB board is some 3-layer design to protect from short circuits.

Dr.Dish reviewed the STAB motors in his last show and he gave it a very good recommendation for being a high quality product.

Also STAB seems to stand behind it's product so you can return it to STAB for repair within 2 years for repair or replacement, they really stand behind their product.

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini OP 125 L, Smart Titanium lnb with CD-80 feedhorn, Moteck SG-2500, Azbox HD Premium+, some 5 meters of good quality coax
My Location
Sweden
nezbit said:
Or would I be better buying the Moteck and replacing the u clamps and bolts, with wingnuts similar to Likvid perhaps?

Sounds like a good idea!Then if you accept some freeplay in the motor axle I think you will be satisfied.The Moteck has been serving me well for some 20 months now.

claasi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
105 cm motor dish with 75E to 45 W - Openbox 820 CI
My Location
Germany- Munich
@Likvid be carefull with the STAB since they currently have problems with the motor. A friend of mine had two so far and they were broke after a couply of weeks.

There is sales person here in Germany who took them out of this shelves :

http://www.bfm-satshop.de/pi1035557395.htm

DiSEqC Motoren sind sehr störanfällig. Wir haben soviel Kundenärger gehabt, dass wir keine DiSEqC Motoren mehr ausliefern !

It says:

They have already had lots of customer complaints. It says Diseqc motors in generell but I assume these STABS are ment too.

Claasi

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Well, hate to repeat myself, but it is all down to value for money. Sure there are better ones around, no doubt a Mercedes is better than a Fiesta. But when you don't have the dosh you are looking for a cheap car that does the job as well. You don't go on bitching that the Merc has all steel this and titanium that where as the Fiesta has just cheap plastic. You can't compare the two because they are a different price class. Find me a better Dish Motor for roughly the same price and then we will have a discussion. All I know is that if it weren't for the Motek and the cheap price I would not have had the money at the time to get a motor. Fact.

But, for the sake of the argument, when my Motek will break down one day I will take it apart and see what's inside and post the pictures. Does not look though as if this is going to happen soon.
P.S I put a 1.2 m dish on mine (max. alowed size) in a pretty wind exposed position, so mine must be pretty suffering.

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sweden
T_G said:
P.S I put a 1.2 m dish on mine (max. alowed size) in a pretty wind exposed position, so mine must be pretty suffering.

What brand and model of dish is that T_G,?

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
T_G said:
Well, hate to repeat myself, but it is all down to value for money. Sure there are better ones around, no doubt a Mercedes is better than a Fiesta. But when you don't have the dosh you are looking for a cheap car that does the job as well. You don't go on bitching that the Merc has all steel this and titanium that where as the Fiesta has just cheap plastic.

Well i didn't buy the Moteck because it was cheap!

I bought it because all friggin forums praised the Moteck being better than STAB and all that crap.....

If STAB isn't the Mercedes, who is? because if the STAB is the same shit then they are all the same and this Diseqc technology for driving a dish is just another joke.