motor fail?

Pullet_Surprise

Reaction score
My Location
York's
It seems my stab rotor sat HH100 has died. I can't move it whatsoever, even in installer mode, its about 9 months old. Does anyone know if this particular model is prone to failure and if so could someone recommend an alternative?

Samsung 9500ViaCI, Philips SC519DS lnb, 1.0m dish.

easysat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S + motorised 80cm dish, Amstrad DRX550 Digibox + fixed dish
My Location
pj::
A nine month old motor shouldn't fail in normal use. I assume that you have checked all the connections and that you are sure it's the motor and not something else that you have changed on your system. Maybe you should go back to the retailer and ask for a replacement as it should still be under guarantee.

Look for the thread about motor noise which mentions some of the alternatives to STAB.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
9 months is not uncommon

Did the company sell you the 1m dish as well, if so they are responsible for its failure, if not they may tru and cover failure as a result of exceeding the motors specification (a 1m dish is almost always larger than 1m in one direction )

Measure it carefully

Pullet_Surprise

Reaction score
My Location
York's
Thanks,

The whole package came from the same shop, which was picked up and installed by a cai member who was recommended by the dealer.

@easysat. I cant physical get at the motor to check it, and if I did I wouldn't know what I was looking at apart from tugging a few leads. Everything else at the receiver end I've been over and over? Im struggling to get the installer to ring me back at the moment.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
On a stab rotor, there is only one connection downstairs. If you are seeing any pictures at all you know there is a path between receiver and LNB, (which has to be through the motor)

If you cant get to it, I would wait until the installer is ready - not three months though

Advise the shop now

Pullet_Surprise

Reaction score
My Location
York's
Thanks CH,

He is coming out Friday. One thing though Is it down to the shop to cover the installers costs for the replacement motor, if its failed within 12 months?

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
If its proven to be a failure of the motor because of the quality of build, then yes, and the shop would get it back off the manufacturer - difficult to pin down absolute advise though in the consumer books

If its faulty labour that caused the failure (water ingress through the cable plugs, dish hitting an bostacle that could have been avoided, then its down to the installer

Since you mention the installer was CAI AND recommended by the shop, theres a good chance they both have a code of conduct on faulty goods/failure within the first 12 months, check with them first

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Channel Hopper said:
dish hitting an bostacle

Them bostacles can be a real problem. :D

easysat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S + motorised 80cm dish, Amstrad DRX550 Digibox + fixed dish
My Location
pj::
Pullet_Surprise said:
I cant physical get at the motor to check it, and if I did I wouldn't know what I was looking at apart from tugging a few leads.
If you have a choice of where to install a dish, it it useful to put it where you can easily reach it. That way you don't need to call out someone with a huge ladder and a head for heights when you want to change things. Of course sometimes you really do need to put the dish high up where trees or the neighbour's house would otherwise block the view of the satellite. (There's a rule of thumb that says any obstruction must be at least twice as far away as it is high, but for multi-satellite it would be better to check for obstructions for each satellite that you want to watch.)

Pullet_Surprise

Reaction score
My Location
York's
Ruling Kong,

It's fixed, it was a failed motor. Replaced with the same model. Does this mean the new motor is now guaranteed for another 12 months, the installer says not?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Nice idea Pete, but no, it'll be 12 months from the purchase of the original.

Pullet_Surprise

Reaction score
My Location
York's
Ah well, I'm just wary about the thing packing in again. Hence me asking about a different model in an earlier post.