Motor for dish made of wiper motor

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Hi all you experts. I have heard a few times that one can sort out a motor for the dish with an old wiper motor of a car. can someone explain how it is done, and include some pictures? I find this very interesting.

Go on, show us your motor!!

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
I think the person you need to speak to is toppervte33h who has this set-up:

Satellite & Computer Setup:
IDD CI24 ECONO MM Penta 1.11 Galaxy II
1.2Mtr Polar MTG yes it has been on the arc for 15 years and is still driven by a modified wiper motor from a Ford Anglia. It's like me sometimes groans but always performs

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Ah no I remember they were just some crappy phone pics which I will have to show again until I have a good digi camera. but here is the method
Take a standard wiper motor which has a nylon worm wheel. Disassemble to get at the worm wheel. You will have an embedded (in the nylon) output shaft which you will have to remove by pressing or hammering out. You will be left with a hole in the nylon wheel. I then took a piece of half inch threaded steel bar with a number of threaded nuts to suit. It would be better to use stainless steel if you can afford it to eliminate rusting. Take one of the nuts and heat up to red hot, then using tongs quickly place over hole left by removal of shaft and using lump hammer press home until nut is embedded. As soon as it is embedded douse with water to cool and ensure it is a tight fit. Any slackness can be taken up using Araldite. You may need a couple of heating attempts to get if fully located. I think but cannot remember fully I repeated this from the 2nd side thus having two embedded nuts. You then have a shaft mounted worm wheel. Then re-assemble the motor housings. In my case where the output shaft went through the casing it actually ran in the casing bearing thus I had no bearing on that side so I used the shells of a larger motor with locating rods and created a new bearing shell which fitted over the old casing but used a flat pan ball bearing. It is sufficient to hold it all together but as it moves quite slowly there is no detriment and the alignment is also out a bit but again not a problem. Mine has been in operation for 15 years and is still going strong. I just grease it and the shaft ocassionally. Of course being DC you can speed it up and down if you increase/decrease the voltage but I just use a smoothed DC output 15 Volt transformer to drive it. Heath Robinson for sure but it works.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Hey Topper, great stuff. I wish you could get some better pictures, I am really interested seeing all the details.

How did you manage to sort out the arc? I mean my SG motor came with an adjustment for the angle, and also the dish had an adjustment, both depending on my location, so how did you do it?

What is your range? And how do you know when you have reached the satellite? You just cran it over until you start seeing a signal?

Very interesting!!

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Yes T_G I will get some better photo's when I can. The arc takes care of itself once set up because I am using a polar mount and that is mechanically set on the arc whether there is a motor or not. If I removed the motor assembly and use a rope to move the dish it would still be on the arc. The disadvantage of a polar mount is that it doesn't have the full coverage of an H to H mount but I can go from 42 E to 30W although the latter is a restriction caused by obstacles. It did take quite a while to get set up on the arc but would have been easier had I had a signal meter, I remember setting up the arc using an old Amstrad SRD 100? could it have been and a portable telly throught the bedroom window. When analogue was all there was I did have a chart so that I knew which frequencies I could find with each particular satellite. Because there are more permutations with digital that is not easily done now, I tend to select the frequency, polarity and fec etc that I require then go into scan mode and use the inbuilt signal meter to find what I want. Then if I do not have anychannels registered at all I do a scan. It can sometimes be unreliable thought and I have become 'lost a number of times'.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Here you go T_G hope this makes it clearer

twag42

Reaction score
My Location
Amsterdam,Holland
thats quite the set-up,i too was wondering what the wiper set-up looked like....BRILLIANT!!!!!!!

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Wavefield T55, 20 LNB's and a whole load of analogue boxes!
My Location
Close to Southampton
how do you know where it pointing, is there some kind of feedback or do you just choose a channel on a known sat, activate the button and wait for 'best' reception?

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Sounds ok with suitable receivers, eg Echostar 3000ip, but what about more recent Diseqc only ones? (don't intend trying, I'm just curious!).

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Don't think it matters what kind of receiver topper uses. He has a seperate power supply to drive the motor.

Llew

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
spiney said:
Sounds ok with suitable receivers, eg Echostar 3000ip, but what about more recent Diseqc only ones? (don't intend trying, I'm just curious!).
My Id digital is a diseqc receiver but it is still possible to switch it off in the config which overcomes that problem

closetosoton said:
how do you know where it pointing, is there some kind of feedback or do you just choose a channel on a known sat, activate the button and wait for 'best' reception?

Basically yes cts, it is to a certain extent knowing the satellite placement on the Clarke curve and as I said I have got lost a couple of times but I did think of a feedback system at one time as like you I thought I would never know but you soon get to know what is where and by having the wires coded at the supply I know what will drive it East and West .

Look I am not recommending this method by any means I am just responding to peoples enquiries