motor installation question

georgia_grrl

Reaction score
Hi, i got my motor today and, typical me, have been reading the instructions.

they state that the satellite you use for your "south" satellite when setting it up should be no more than 5 degrees east or west of the actual south from your location. i'm hoping one of you will help me, my location is 3.98 degrees west, so which satellite should i be using? i know i could use 0.8W or 1W, but i'm hoping for a satellite with a pretty strong transponder and some FTA channels to make the alignent easier (i'm doing this install without a sat meter)

my exact location is

Lat (WGS84) N55:56:50 ( 55.947301 ) Long (WGS84) W3:58:49 ( -3.980251 )

if that helps anyone, and i'm using an 80cm mesh dish with a sharp 0.6LNB connected to a technomate 2000D receiver.

thanks

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
You must be near me with that lat/long. :D Use 1W, try 11247 V 24500 7/8 which has some fta stuff on it, and I can get on an 80cm dish.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
As Analoguesat say 1 deg West (Thor) is your best bet.

If you can't get it to work on the frequency listed you can find others here...

h**p://www.lyngsat.com/1west.html

georgia_grrl

Reaction score
cheers guys, hopefully i'll not have too much trouble finding it, and hopefully i dont get rained on too much wi;e putting the dish up on saturday afternoon :D (i may leave it till sunday, not sure if they concrete will be ready by saturday, its being poured at 9am tomorrow (friday) so i tink saturday afternoon is pushing it a little.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
georgia_grrl said:
cheers guys, hopefully i'll not have too much trouble finding it, and hopefully i dont get rained on too much wi;e putting the dish up on saturday afternoon :D (i may leave it till sunday, not sure if they concrete will be ready by saturday, its being poured at 9am tomorrow (friday) so i tink saturday afternoon is pushing it a little.

Make sure the pole is vertical - not close - vertical that'll save you a lot of trouble.

georgia_grrl

Reaction score
yeah, plannin to do my utmost best to get it vertical and keep it vertical, got any tips for keeping it vertical while the concrete sets?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
How good are you at standing perfectly still? :D

georgia_grrl

Reaction score
not very good to be honest, i'm thinking that i'll only need to hold it for a short period of time if i dont make the concrete too watery, then it'll be thick enough to hold it still. i HOPE also thought about some "guy ropes" but i dunno how to fasten those on

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
3 bits of 2x2 in a triangle outwards from the pole taped to it with a brick at the bottom of each one. Gives you some adjustment whilst drying. :)

Easy Peasy

L

brewby

Reaction score
Use feb wintamix in your cement it will make it set quicker without cracking.

georgia_grrl

Reaction score
well, the pole is in, the concrete is curing as we speak, hopefully i'll get a chance to put the dish up some point later in the week. i'm gonna give the concrete at least 58 hours to cure before i even attempt it. the bloke i spoke to when i bought the concrete sai 18 - 24 hours shoudl be set fully, but there's nothing wrong with waiting that bit extra, just to be on teh safe side.

I'm like a kid at christmas now, excited is an understatement :D

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
Overnight should do it - builders waiting 58 hours....

It's up to you but I know I wouldn't wait - what size dish is it?

How long have you been standing holding the pole?

That's you started and there's no going back - have fun - we welcome any questions.

phillpayne

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
humax 5400z patched to hot 11.1, v box mrk2, 1.1m triax dish, jeager 12" activator .6 lnb, modified pet123 settings
My Location
kent
hi georgia grrl,
it may not exactly be suited to you but the info might help
if you go here

http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=9207

and pick up the guides i have posted they may help, but also as the others have said, you can use thor 1W, as your setup bird, but keep it in mind that you need to offset to allow for the error, amos is more your due south bird, but you might not recieve it.

in other words do not make thor exactly at your 0 position, as it will be 3 degs out
hope this helps
phil

georgia_grrl

Reaction score
gameboy said:
Overnight should do it - builders waiting 58 hours....

It's up to you but I know I wouldn't wait - what size dish is it?

How long have you been standing holding the pole?

That's you started and there's no going back - have fun - we welcome any questions.
it's an 80CM dish, for now. i have plans for a larger one later, but i'll work my way towards that, les soutlay initially with the smaller dish. (wrong itme of year to go buying big dishes)

i didnt hold the pole at all, built a frame with a few bits of pine, two G clamps and a handful of nails. nailed one bit to the fence and clamped it with the pole prfectly vertical, another bit nailed to a temporary pole i battered into the ground a couple of feet away clamped at a different height with it all vertical, checked the level a few times over the space of half an hour beofre pouring the concrete (paranoia never hurt anyone)

poured the concrete in stages, took about an hour to do, all in, checking level all the way through. last checked it about an hour and a half ago, and it was perfectly vertical, put some polystyrene on top just in case of frost.

i intend to have fun, i used to have an analogue dish and box and played with that for a bit, but left it in my old hosue when i moved out (someone else might have limited fun with it, we'll see.

expect more questions over the next week or so, tomorrow's task is running cable, that should be fun.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
Sounds like you're well on top of the situation - here from you soon when the concrete sets.

Have fun...

georgia_grrl

Reaction score
phillpayne said:
hi georgia grrl,
it may not exactly be suited to you but the info might help
if you go here

http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=9207

and pick up the guides i have posted they may help, but also as the others have said, you can use thor 1W, as your setup bird, but keep it in mind that you need to offset to allow for the error, amos is more your due south bird, but you might not recieve it.

in other words do not make thor exactly at your 0 position, as it will be 3 degs out
hope this helps
phil
i have less chance than your average snowball in a ot place of getting amos where i am, just northeast of glasgow, WAY out of the footprint, i might be able to pick it up if i have a very very large dish, but tis only 80cm, so i'll be setting it up with thor, i gathered offsetting it by 3 degrees was a good idea, but thanks for the reminder and the link, i'll have a look just now

georgia_grrl

Reaction score
any tips for digging concrete out? the pole moved in teh middle of the night, nowhere near vertical now, so, should i get the concret out or just cut the pole off at ground level and put teh dish elsewhere?

i cant mount it on the wall so i'm stuck with ground mount or nothing. with all the setbacks ive had recently i'm seriosuly considering nothing, just stick with sky digital and forget about the rest.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
georgia_grrl said:
the pole moved in teh middle of the night, nowhere near vertical now

Any chance you can bend it into the vertical position?

Or dig round the concrete and underpin it to get the pole vertical?

Shame about it moving...