Motor moves intermittently

majicm

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 Metre dish, Supreme Dark Motor, Inverto Black Ultra Quad LNB, VU+ Uno, TBS 6925 Card
My Location
Darwen, UK
Hi guys

I've a recent setup which consists of a 1 metre dish with an ***** Dark Superior Motor and a Smart Titanium single LNB.

I've a few issues with moving the motor, as in, sometimes it moves and sometimes it just sits there.

I'm on another thread about the TBS6925 card which is causing all manner of issues BUT today I've been leant (for as long as need be) an OpenBox S11 which HAS moved the motor a couple of times but now appears to be stuck at 42E when I want it at 1W.

The installer moved it OK with his meter, but he did mention having issues in the past with the Smart Titanium and moving the motor.

Just wondered if anyone else has had similar? And if so, would you recommend a particulr LNB?

Thanks very much!

Maj

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Perhaps it isn't a Card or Receiver problem, but the all too common issue of the F connector at the Motor end of the Motor >> LNB cable section that is coming loose?

viz: Move dish one way and drag connection loose then travel the other way and it cannot re-tighten.

Solution: Tighten connector then strap cable to mount using zip tie so the connector can no longer act as fulcrum.

A nonymous

Reaction score
The Openbox S11 is prone to issues with motors as the power supply isn't upto the job. It is normally more of an issue with Technomate motors rather than with the Dark motors. Is the box rebooting itself when you ask it to move as this is usually what happens with these boxes.

The other issue i have seen with the openbox is when the installer has used RG6 instead of a good quality WF100 cable. RG6 is ok for short runs but anything over about 15m with these boxes and you start having issues.

The installer moved it OK with his meter, but he did mention having issues in the past with the Smart Titanium and moving the motor.

It makes me laugh with these cowboy installers who state that a certain combo of equipment causes issues and then they install exactly the same combo :-lmao

I would check the cables and connectors first and if everything is ok then you probably won't want to hear this but the issue is probably with the receiver.

Nano

majicm

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 Metre dish, Supreme Dark Motor, Inverto Black Ultra Quad LNB, VU+ Uno, TBS 6925 Card
My Location
Darwen, UK
Tivù said:
Perhaps it isn't a Card or Receiver problem, but the all too common issue of the F connector at the Motor end of the Motor >> LNB cable section that is coming loose?

viz: Move dish one way and drag connection loose then travel the other way and it cannot re-tighten.

Solution: Tighten connector then strap cable to mount using zip tie so the connector can no longer act as fulcrum.

Possibly! I'm going to ring the installer today anyway as I was having the PC Card issues when he did the install so he left the dish pointing at 1 West. Since then I've had it on Hotbird for the most time, mainly 'cos it won't move! heh

Cheers Tivu

majicm

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Darwen, UK
nanochickin said:
The Openbox S11 is prone to issues with motors as the power supply isn't upto the job. It is normally more of an issue with Technomate motors rather than with the Dark motors. Is the box rebooting itself when you ask it to move as this is usually what happens with these boxes.

The other issue i have seen with the openbox is when the installer has used RG6 instead of a good quality WF100 cable. RG6 is ok for short runs but anything over about 15m with these boxes and you start having issues.

It makes me laugh with these cowboy installers who state that a certain combo of equipment causes issues and then they install exactly the same combo :funny:

I would check the cables and connectors first and if everything is ok then you probably won't want to hear this but the issue is probably with the receiver.

Nano

Hi Nano -thanks for the advice.

Well, I bought the gear to begin with and just asked the guy to fit it. I think he was having issues when installing it hence the comment about the LNB.

The OpenBox isn't rebooting when asked to move, it comes up with the "Moving dish" box and sits there. I did notice last night that when it moved it to 42 E it actually took a while BEFORE it started moving. From previous experience (10 years ago mind!) the motor moved immediately, not sit there for 10/20/30 seconds before moving.

As I mentioned in my previous post to Tivu, I'm going to give him a bell today anyway as he did say go back to him when I had sorted out my PC card / loaned a receiver and still having issues.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
majicm said:
Possibly! I'm going to ring the installer today anyway as I was having the PC Card issues when he did the install so he left the dish pointing at 1 West. Since then I've had it on Hotbird for the most time, mainly 'cos it won't move! heh

Cheers Tivu

Having Posted in a hurry last night, I've given you the solution to a different problem!

This would apply if the signal became intermittent, not the motor.

But the F connector at the motor end of the Receiver >> Motor cable not being secure could cause intermittent motion, though - so check that connection instead.

Actually, as Nano said, check them all.

digi247

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
UK
I have had the exact same problem in the past week with Superior dark Motors, Changed for new ones and the same fault i gave up in the end and put a spare LED Dark Motor backup that i had and that works perfect.

I found that if i tried to move from 1 sat to the next it would not work, But if i used the satfinder in the menu and chose a satellite it would move a pain in the neck really as you should just be able to select a channel on that sat and let the motor move the dish.

2nd solution i replaced all cable and connectors and even tried a shorter cable run but this had zero effect i put it down to a fault with the motor, After a google search this is not uncommon with the dark motors.

If you want to give it one last go try selecting a Horizontal TP on 1 satellite and then try the same on a different one, Another explanation came through about the polarity switching and the motor not getting enough juice to move

majicm

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Darwen, UK
Thanks guys... lots to go on!

majicm

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Darwen, UK
digi247 said:
I have had the exact same problem in the past week with Superior dark Motors, Changed for new ones and the same fault i gave up in the end and put a spare LED Dark Motor backup that i had and that works perfect.

The replacement is a "Supreme", is that right? As in your profile?

I got some ladders over the weekend but the dish is higher up than I though and I'm too cowardly to go any higher! heh So I've not been able to check anything else really :(

I'm in a battle with the installer, he won't return my calls or texts - clearly he's not interested. I've complained about him to the guy who subcontracted the job but he's not arsed either - until I e-mailed him and told him I'd reported them both to trading standards.

Anyway......... there is another more local guy who I originally wanted to do the job but he was unavailable the same week.... Shouldn't have changed my mind, but that's another story.

I've moved the motor with the Openbox again today but it's not everytime. I'm thinking about swapping the motor, just in case.

I've a Smart Titanium LNB, which is 0.1db, are these up to the job?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Plus some photos, a detailed as you can just so any potential installer knows roughly what he might be getting himself into.

majicm

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Darwen, UK
Thanks mate, it seems Rick is close to me so I'll give him a shout.

I did have a guy in mind who I have spoken to at length and I had planned to do the install originally but he couldn't do it for a couple of weeks.

Cheers!

digi247

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
UK
Just to hazard a Guess i would say the problem to be more likely with the Openbox either power supply not up to it if its a clone, or maybe even the firmware

majicm

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Darwen, UK
Hi mate

It's an S11 but definitely not a clone. I'm having similar issues with the TBS6925 card as well.