Motor or Multi?

mickbarlow

Reaction score
Hi all

I am intrested in buying a PC DVB card (probably the WinTV) and i just have a couple of questions.

1. I was wondering whether is was worth buying a motorised dish or just a multisat with astra & hotbird LNB's as i am guessing these are the most used satellites

2. Either way could somebody please inform me of which encryption methods Multidec/ProgDVB can decode. (ie seca viaccess etc)

Cheers people.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I'm not sure how well supported Multidec is now, but there is also the other program that you mention which I believe is more current. In any case it will decode the original versions of Seca, Irdeto, Betacrypt, Vaccess and possibly others.

Working with a PC card I would advise a multi LNB setup as the power supply for motorised receivers is questionable and the multi setup is quicker when swapping satellites.

mickbarlow

Reaction score
Cheers Rolf, you are my God!!! :D

Are there any DVB Cards which i should steer clear of, or are they all pretty much the same???

Any ideas whether seca2 and Irdeto2 will be supported by software decoders in the future, or am i gettin ahead of myself now?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, you may be skipping a little too far ahead :)

With regard to the PC Card, I think that its any of the samsung based cards which are OK for the softcams like Multidec, steer clear of the Skystar II and the PentaVision as they rewuire a hardware CAM. If you go to www.happysat.de they used to have a list of the acceptable cards, Technotrend, Hauppauge and a couple of others.

Pullet_Surprise

Reaction score
My Location
York's
For the sake of an extra £80 for the motor in such a setup, I would recommend a motorised system. I'm looking to follow the same route...one day;), As far as the card is concerned the Hauppauge WinTV dvb Nexus is the d'blx. Although I understand there are clones available, albeit at a tad less cost.

I think one of the mod's on the forum mentioned an alternative to multidec, but I've lost the link.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Just had a look at the nexus on the Hauppauge site, but it doesn't appear to say what level of DiseqC it supports, for proper motorised control 1.2 is required. I still have reservations regarding the power requirements all the same.

I believe the the Hauppauge is in fact a Tecnotrend clone, which in turn is probably a Samsung or Sanyo clone. :)

pixey

Reaction score
My Location
South UK
Is it possable to use a v-box in this setup?

pixey

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I would guess so Pixey, but again it will depend on the DiseqC version as to how many satellites you could receive.

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
I have a pace multi satellite positioner connected to the motor on the dish and then all i do after setting up the satellites is store all the satellite data in the pace, type in the number i have giving the sat and it moves to it. Very quick to move the dish once its setup. I would agree that most good stuff is on astra 19 east, and hotbird 13 east so you could go the multi bracket lmb root but i do not think it would be much different in price by the time you buy an Lmb and bracket. dont imagine the pace positioner i bought would cost that much more. DO NOT BUY A PENTAMEDIA CARD like me as they are not supported by multidec software.
Ofcourse having a motor has its advantages as you can pickup up probably about 20 sateliites average on the satellite arc but most of it is foreign channels which it good if you really like watching italian programmes and can seak italian but there is a good american feed on telstar 12 at 15 west.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Go West Young Man, Hispasat I would recommend.

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
eh hispasat 1a-1c 30 west doesnt look to exciting rolfw.
its all nagravision and viaccess and powervu which i cannot watch at this time though maybe a magic module would assist :)
oh wait i see the god channel is on this satellite, i can get that already anyway and besides its not my cup of tea vicar :)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Well obviously the God channel was what I was looking for, but by pure coincidence, I found a multitude of film channels, almost all with an English sound option. ;)