motor problems

emben

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Not yet set up my sat system
My Location
Cheshire, England
hi.
Ive just set up my diseqc 1.2 motorised dish. Ive set the angles on the motor/dish and placed it all on the pole facing south.
I then turned on my technomate 1000d reciever and put it on the 1.0w thor satellite to tune it in but I am not getting a decent signal at all.

I get
70-80% level
around 5% quality (keeps moving)

I was moving the dish around but it stayed the same. Its the same with all the other satellites.

Can anyone please tell me what am doing wrong.
I am a beginner to all this and find the whole thing confusing. I dont really know what am doing. I read up on all the tutorials but the more i read, the more confused I become because they all say different things. Please help!

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
emben you are only going to drive your self completely nuts if you try to rush things. For the moment forget you even have a motor. From your location, quite rightly your due south sat is 1deg West. Set your receiver for BBC World 11325H 24500 7/8 then find that channel. You may have to loosen the bolts a bit and play around with the dish slowly to improve the quality. That is the first task. Achieve that first of all and then get back to us

theboss4

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-
My Location
uk
I know how you feel mate, it's very time consuming and takes alot of patience but keep working at it.
Move the dish very very slowly and change the dish elevation a bit.
I have had mine set up a few moths now, still don't think i've got mine %100 correct.

Cupart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I would firstly make sure that the mouting pole is 100% Veritical (check 90 dgr interval on the pole with a leveller).
This is often the first head-wrecking fault that no one checkes ;-)

whatsthis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020 Screambox
MAC OSX & windowzz 98SE
Gemini
1664 on tap
My Location
13°E
And I also find thor 1 west full of weak signals and a bugger to find. I use hotbird 13E, I've found the signals stronger. The advice above is correct forget you have a motor at first and just set it to a good strong transponder. There's a list of them on this web site.

(PS I know why 1west is recommended, it just doesn't work for me)

don'tknowdon'taskme

Part Timer
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 800HD DreamBox 7025 PVR160g HD,500s Dreambox ,Sly+ Full Package,SkyCard 2, And a Eagle 500 Clone DM500 TM755,TM9100 Linux
Channel Master 1.2m,1224EL Supermount Orbit Tracking Motor With c120 Feed Horn Invacom Quad Lnb Cas3 SC Dragon Progr
My Location
that would be telling
have you got a sat meter if not get one it makes things a hell of a lot easier m8.i'm a beginner too m8 like they say forget the motor for now plus make sure you are on thor aswell.

emben

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cheshire, England
ok thanks for your help.
Ill double check my pole, try and play around with the dish again to tune it into 13oe first. See if I can get any signal this weekend

Sir Bronking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion
pentium4 3.2ghz
progdvb
skystar2 rev2.3
1mtr dish & jaeger 99G 36v motor, with a superjack DP-6600. dvb-t aswell,in the process of setting up
My Location
cheshire,algeria
a picture is worth a thousand words, if you put a piccy of your setup ,the guy's here will be more than capable and willing to give advice,
you might think its a nightmare but patience is not a virtue it's a godsend
good luck

emben

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cheshire, England
ok I got a signal on thor just by luck really. I then tried to tune all the satellites through the box.

Now I have some extra problems.
I can get 1w, 19.2oe, 13oe, 28.2 really well but I cant get 30w or anything else.

I have a 90cm dish so I should be able to get it easy enough. Can you please explain to me what ive done wrong.

thanks. You guys have been excellent

don'tknowdon'taskme

Part Timer
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 800HD DreamBox 7025 PVR160g HD,500s Dreambox ,Sly+ Full Package,SkyCard 2, And a Eagle 500 Clone DM500 TM755,TM9100 Linux
Channel Master 1.2m,1224EL Supermount Orbit Tracking Motor With c120 Feed Horn Invacom Quad Lnb Cas3 SC Dragon Progr
My Location
that would be telling
the problem is if u can only get the east sats so far and non west sats.you are not following the satellite arc m8.did you make sure the motor was set to 0 before you set to thor.a 90cm dish should be more than enough for hispasat 30west.is the anythink in the line of the dish at all.if not check the settings on the motor when you are on thor it should read 0 if not thats you problem.if so ask one of the more experenced members.

emben

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cheshire, England
ok, thanks.
ill check it out

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
You need to check that your pole is vertical in all planes as bronking says a picture is worth a thousand words. Below is a picture which may help you to visualise your problem .

emben

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cheshire, England
OK, the motor is at 0 when at thor.
I had a play around with everything but just lost 28.2oe.
Now all am capable of getting is 1w/13/19oe.

Looking at that picture, it appears that the declination is too low.
So could you please advise me what to do - should i changed the motors angle/dish angle etc?

I will try and get hold of a digital camera and upload the pictures if it will help.

So what should i do?
I really appreciate your help guys.

J

Jeff_19341

Declination is to do with the dish angle, do not change your motor angle.
JuMbuCk

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Lol I thought I would have a look to see if there was an explanation available on the web so as to clarify things in my head before passing on the information and found this here .... having read that explanation I think I'll take up knitting instead.

don'tknowdon'taskme

Part Timer
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
that would be telling
in the booket you got with the motor should be a map with the angle u set the lat to in there.set it to that and then set the dish angle to the best for signal wise the rest should fall into place fingers crossed.

emben

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cheshire, England
hmmm I`ll check it all out and report back to you asap.
thanks

Sir Bronking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion
pentium4 3.2ghz
progdvb
skystar2 rev2.3
1mtr dish & jaeger 99G 36v motor, with a superjack DP-6600. dvb-t aswell,in the process of setting up
My Location
cheshire,algeria
hi m8,
look at my dish pointing at thor (i live in cheshire also) so your lat and long should be similar the drawing i've done might be less confusing so you can check your set up (full explaination in post from start to finish (motorised section)
hope it helps

emben

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cheshire, England
hello there, its me again.
Now the weathers getting a bit better, I want to sort this dish out.

Ive took some pictures of the dish on thor, does this look right?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Have shrunk the pictures down from over 2Meg each and uploaded them. :)

That looks high, but difficult to tell.