Motor question

Pullet_Surprise

Reaction score
My Location
York's
Now then, Ive tried moving my receiver upstairs onto a feed off my twin lnb and tried to move the motor. Dead as dodo, after much arse scratching and the like over the weekend, I rang the fitter. He tells me the motors can only be powered from one side? Okay then, anyway round this via a switch/remote etc.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I can't think of too many ways round this, most people tend to keep their receivers in one place, so the problem doesn't arise. To start using switches would get very messy.

Pullet_Surprise

Reaction score
My Location
York's
Oh well ho hum,

I suppose the technology of designing a motor to do this wont be too far away though.

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
Can't follow what you've done here. Please be clearer.

The simple act of moving a receiver from one room of the house to another will not alter the way the motor responds.

What do you mean "from one side"?
Are you trying to set up two positioners to drive the same motor? If so then a switch across the motor pulse cables will solve the problem.

Or do you have two DiSEqC receivers? In that case, I wonder whether a 0/12v switch (such as a SPS 1 = Smart Priority Switch, from Global systems) wouldn't solve the problem. That switch allows two receivers to be connected to a single LNB in such a way that when one powers down it transfers control of the LNB to the other. Since a DiSEqC receiver uses the co-ax to transmit positioner commands, I wonder whether it would work there too...
Anyone out there ever tried that?

2old

Pullet_Surprise

Reaction score
My Location
York's
2old,

I've had diseqc 1.2 motor fiited to my dish with a twin lnb. One feed downstairs and one up. I can drive the motor from the downstairs feed but it wont work upstairs. The fitter said 'the motor only drives from one side'? I only have one receiver, which id like to move about as needs be.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Sorry PS, though that you had two receivers, you may simply be able to get away with a splitter, it must have DC pass on both legs, but providing you've got strong enough signal you should be alright.

Either that, or you can run a coax cable from the back of the receiver to the other room and use a remote extender, then you wouldn't have to worry about moving the receiver.

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
This is all a bit odd and cofusing.

If you only have one receiver, why do you have a twin LNB?
And what do you actually mean: an LNB with two lines out, which can feed 2 separate receivers (i.e. effectively two LNBs in one housing)? Or do you mean a monoblock - two offset LNBs so that one can receive one saelte whie the other receives a satellite some degree away (eg Astra & hotbird)?
In ether case, its a strange thing to have on a motorised system.

If your only requirement is to be able to watch TV occasionally (or even regularly) in another room, then a much better solution would simply be to have a single LNB and feed it (via the DiSEqC motor) to the single receiver which you leave in the lounge(say), and then feed the signal from that to the bedroom (say) using a video/remote transmitter. You would then tae your remote control to the bedroom, and using said device could operate the receiver still left in the lounge (which would drive the motor).

Am I missing something here?

2old

Pullet_Surprise

Reaction score
My Location
York's
2old,

The lnb is a philips SC519DS. I was under the impression that I would be able to have a coax lead into my front room and one upstairs into my office both off the 1 lnb. I wanted to hook a pc card into the upstairs feed but leave the receiver downstairs (eventually). I dont really understand why when I plug the receiver into the upstairs feed it doesn't power the motor???

link for lnb: http://www.satcure.com/accs/page1.htm

I got the impression that this was the correct setup to do the above:confused

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Ahhh, so you do want to run two receivers PS, the DiseqC motor is powered directly by the receiver. The coax cable runs from the receiver, in to the motor, then out of the motor to the LNB. The second cable, probably the one upstairs, runs directly to the second port of the LNB and has no connection to the motor, so no control.

Pullet_Surprise

Reaction score
My Location
York's
Well said that man. Wish I could have said that to start with:rolleyes:

So is there anyway to hook up the motor to the second cable so that It can be controlled?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes there is, if you are only likely to use one receiver at a time, then if you run a cable from the second receiver to the first, and put in an AB switch, then you can switch between the two. You could retain your cable from the second receiver to the LNB and just swap it over if you as and when necessary.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The motor for the dish is in series with only one port of the LNBs so only one downloead is actually attached to the motor

Why not use just one port of the LNB with the incoming feed with the motor drive running into the office upstairs.

Have a second cable between office and lounge. When watching satellite from the lounge simply connect the two cables in the office together with a F-F female barrel adapter

The computer and TV card can then connect to the second port of the LNB at anytime and does not interfere in the operation