Motor With monblock Lnb?

dlarge

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Progdvb.
Monblock LNB 19.2 and 13.0
My Location
West Country
I currently have a dish setup with two lnb's that are set at astra 19.2 and hotbird 13.0. I bought a motor and arranged installation. When the engineer came out he said the dish and dual lnb would be no good with the motor as he did not have the correct bracket to install a single lnb. He showed me if he put the single lnb on it would be at the wrong angle. Can I not just install the motor with the dual lnb and just leave one of them disconnected? Some help would be greatly appreciated as I have a motor sitting around doing nothing at the moment.

Many Thanks

Dlarge

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
If you're having a motor installed, then having a monobloc LNB is pointless as the motor does the work of going between the two satellites you currently have, plus several others. All you need is a single Universal LNB and you're sorted (you could have a Twin or Quad output LNB, but only one feed will control the motor)... :)

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
dlarge said:
I currently have a dish setup with two lnb's that are set at astra 19.2 and hotbird 13.0. I bought a motor and arranged installation. When the engineer came out he said the dish and dual lnb would be no good with the motor as he did not have the correct bracket to install a single lnb. He showed me if he put the single lnb on it would be at the wrong angle. Can I not just install the motor with the dual lnb and just leave one of them disconnected? Some help would be greatly appreciated as I have a motor sitting around doing nothing at the moment.

Many Thanks

Dlarge

If you can get the monobloc working fine through the motor, then it would work, but not 100% optimally as neither LNB will be at the dish's focus.

The monobloc uses diseqc to switch between the two internal LNBs and there can be compatibility issues with a motor. It may work though, as I
have a motor and a diseqc switch working together, and found that it worked OK if the motor was connected to the receiver, and the switch to the motor, and then the LNBs to the switch.

To see if it will work, take the coax from the back off your receiver and
fit the motor in line. If you can move the motor, and still get a signal on both sats, then you should be fine.

Using a monobloc with a motor, if set up successfully would give you the advantage that you haven't got to move the motor when going between Hotbird and Astra1. Might be a bit confusing to set up though.
So, I don't think its totally pointless, but if trying to get some of the weaker sats, since you won't ever be at the dish's focus, you won't be making best use of your dish's size, and possibly lose transponders that you would have otherwise got.

dlarge

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Progdvb.
Monblock LNB 19.2 and 13.0
My Location
West Country
Thanks - I was not actually bothered too much about using the monblock as such - just trying to save some money by using the existing dish. The way the monblock is setup it would be very difficult to install a single lnb as i would have to make a new bracket for it etc. Thanks for your replies