motorhome system from scratch

steve g

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
portable system from scratc
My Location
uk / europe
Am looking to install a satellite system into my motorhome , i have seen on the net that i will need a 80cm dish to get a signal in Spain , what type of receiver will i need . Hoping to but the stuff online , have looked at systems ie- maxiview bit they seem so expensive and have very mixed reviews form great to awful . hopefully someone can point me in the right direction [ excuse the pun ] Steve.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
What are you trying to receive?

steve g

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
uk / europe
Any English channels .

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Do you have a $ly subscription?

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
You'll have a hard time receiving BBCs and ITVs on an 80cm dish in Spain as these require a much larger dish. You can potentially get some MBC channels on 26E, depending on location in Spain and some free new channels from Astra 1 and Hot Bird.

If you have a Sky sub, you *should* be able to get those on an 80cm dish...

steve g

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
uk / europe
I use a sky card which was bought from sky for £20- this allows me to get the terrestrial channels using a sky box , this is the only way we can get a good reception here onnthe west coast of Scotland . So do you think that I could use a sky box with this card ?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
No, what we were asking was do you have a subscription to $ly. You are simply using an expired or Freesat-from-$ly card to regionalise a $ly box. You are then using the $ly box to watch the FTA (free to air) channels, not the encrypted ones.

Most encrypted $ly channels are on a European beam and can be received with a smaller dish than is needed for the FTA channels in Europe. The further south into Spain you go the larger the dish size you need. As an example, in France near to Avignon I use an 85cm dish on our house to get the FTA channels. But this is really too small and for a better quality of reception I need to put up a 1m dish. As you go further south, apart from a few local anomalies, you generally need larger and larger dishes until when you are down near Gibraltar I believe that you need something in excess of 3m.

The other alternative, as others have said, is to look for English language channels on other satellites that have stronger signals.

Another thought - what sort of mobile phone contract do you have? If your data cost is low enough you might think about streaming channels over the internet. You would need to arrange for a VPN (virtual private network) though. Another internet solution that wouldn't need a VPN would be to use a device called a Slingbox.

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
Basically a mobile satellite system to receive UK free channels is a non starter in most of Spain - dish sizes between 1 and 4 m are required for reception - even the expensive solutions will not work unless they have dishes in this size range.
What parts of Spain are you thinking of?

steve g

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
uk / europe
We will be touring around , france , spain , portugal . Not too clued up on the technical stuff as yet .Sounds like i'll just have to stock up on dvd's .
Thanks for your help .