Motorised Dish Option Question

catmar

Non-Activated User
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Opentech ODS3000Ci Digital Satellite Receiver twin CI,
Diablo Light Cam,
80 cm Prime Focus Dish, HH140ALU Manhattan Motor, GTSAT GT-S40 LNB - NF 0.2db.
My Location
Malta
Further to my quest of learning about Satellite TV here are some more questions.

Providing I can explain my problem properly here is my story so far...

My motorised dish was set up by a professional installer. But there was a problem with my satellite receiver Opentel ODS3000ci in that he said it was only saving around 2000 channels and I needed a new receiver, me being totally ignorant agreed to buy a new Plaza XT-M when they are in stock.

When the installer left I could see that he had two satellites setup, Hotbird and Nilesat, Hotbird being my nearest satellite at 13E where my location is 14E. Okay bear with me here. I looked in the menu's on the receiver and found where I could auto-tune the satellites and discovered that all the other satellites had the motor turned "off". Hotbird and Nilesat had motor turned to "user".

By trial and error I discovered that I could switch Astra and Hispasat to "user" and save the channels, so now I had four satellites to chose from.

I was happy for a while and today I decided to try and see what else I could receive, so I turned Eurosat to "user" and tried to auto-tune, although it seemed to tune I had no channels appear in the list. I tried one or two others satellites near 30W and had the same results.

I found that as well as motor "off", and "user" their was also a "installer" option, can anyone enlighten me on what it means and how do I use it, and is it necessary to receive the other satellites that have the motor turned "off", is it used to tweak the dish position slighty so as to get a better signal, or is it just used in the initial install to set up on the nearest South Satellite?

Thanks in advance.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The reason the installer advised you to get a new receiver, is because there isn't enough memory in your present one, hence why the extra channels aren't being stored.

So wait until you get your new receiver and try again, then you'll be able to store the channels on the newly tuned satellites.

catmar

Non-Activated User
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Opentech ODS3000Ci Digital Satellite Receiver twin CI,
Diablo Light Cam,
80 cm Prime Focus Dish, HH140ALU Manhattan Motor, GTSAT GT-S40 LNB - NF 0.2db.
My Location
Malta
Thanks Rolf, he should have them in shortly, so I just switch to "user" and auto-tune and they should store okay?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The terms may not be the same in your new receiver, but if you leave your dish at zero when disconnecting the old box (use send to zero command), then when connecting the new box, move to 13East first and save it, you shhould be able to find and save all of the others. :)