satworld98

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Receiver:Mvision & Openbox.
Dish: Gibertini 85CM
Satellites:28E, 19E, and 13E. Motorised Gibertini 1M
My Location
Luton
i am a newbie and i am trying to find out as much info as possible b4 buying a sat system. I have go at couple of question and I hope you guys can help me.
  1. Which is better overall torodial T90 or a motorised dish ?
  2. If i am to buy any motor. any recomendations?
  3. dish recomendations. Triax or Andrews of Gillibertini?
on a non related topic. which one of relook 400 S , Dreambox 3000 or triple dragon
has the following:
  1. which has the best hardware ?
  2. best support ?
  3. best images?
Also what is the difference between T-rex cam and firecrypt ?

Thanks

wolfav

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
two sky+amstrad boxes
technomate5500ci+ with 80cm motarised dish irderto cam mr mrev +dragoncam blue tit numerous fun cards infinity pheonix compaq and dell on wirelessrouter
My Location
no mans land
trex and fire crypt are from the same cam as for your receivers im tempted towards the dbox at the mo but the reading on the td is very good your other question on the t90 or motarised i have a motarised system with no probs and can honastly admit i dont know what a t90 is

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
you mean that dish that has the reflector or something and can have like 9 lnbs on it

personally i'd go for a motorised as you will get better results as the other dish will have a fixed angle for the lnbs for the sats and you wont get the full signal on them compared to a motorised dish that will use all the dish on each of the satellites like a fixed dish

cologne

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DB 500s
SamsungP-CI/Viaccess embedded
Irdeto CAM
SA D 9835/Powervu
My Location
Deutschland/Großbritannien
hi buddy,
I would go for a motorsed dish.Also i would use a gilbertini dish(which i bought one 2 weeks ago and excellent result), also a moteck sg2100 motor.:)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
satworld98 said:
i am a newbie and i am trying to find out as much info as possible b4 buying a sat system. I have go at couple of question and I hope you guys can help me.
  1. Which is better overall torodial T90 or a motorised dish ?
  2. If i am to buy any motor. any recomendations?
  3. dish recomendations. Triax or Andrews of Gillibertini?

1. If you want very rapid channel switching then the Torroidal dish is best, if well set up (it is difficult to set up), you should get solid reception on sats from say 1 west to 39 East, you would then need a separate dish for perhaps 30W. A motorised dish would give you that full range, but of course takes time to move between satellites, it is a cheaper option than the Torroidal dish.

All of the dishes you mention above are good, depends which size you are going for and what motor you use as to how compatible they are.

Lots of information in this section on different dishes already.
on a non related topic. which one of relook 400 S , Dreambox 3000 or triple dragon
has the following:
  2. best support ?
  3. best images?
Also what is the difference between T-rex cam and firecrypt ?

Thanks

Dreambox is the most popular of the receivers you mention and has the best unofficial support not sure about the model 3000 though, not heard of that one.;) They all have advantages and disadvantages, but the one thing they all have in common, is that they are not ideal for the novice, unless they are prepared to spend a lot of time reading.

satworld98

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Luton
thanks for all the replys.

i have linux experience so working on linux based systems shouldnt be a prob.

my major problem with motorised system is how quick do the motor rotate . is it not rather slow ? (i have never seen it in operation).

if i save two diffrent stations from two diffrerent satellite, let say, from Astra 28 and Hotbird on the fav of the receiver and I switch using the favourites, will the motor move automaticaly or do I need to change it using the USALs first. also Will the USALs do I do I need a V Box ?

i will aslo appreciate If I can be recommended any motor that is particularly quick.

You guys have almost swung me to motorised but the jury is still out on receiver I am tempted on relook but i am still open to suggestions on the TD or DB

Thanks

satworld98

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Luton
I am a newbie and i want to check which one of relook 400 S , Dreambox 3000 or triple dragon (I have linux experience so shld be no problem).
  2. best support ?
  3. best images?
on a non-related topic. What is the difference between T-rex cam and firecrypt ? Also which is better torodial T 90 or a motorised dish ?

Thanks​

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Hi satworld

I suspect that there are not too many people who have had the opportunity to be able to compare one receiver with the others.

As you have posted the same question in all three sections dealing with these STB's, I would advise reading the posts in those sections and try to come to some conclusions yourself.

FWIW, the TD very well equipped in the hardware department, and some very good images are now appearing. Support was a little iffy earlier, again this is improving steadily.

As for your last question re cams and dishes, you could try posting in the appropiate sections for a better response.

Llew

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Using DiseqC systems the motor will move when you select a channel (quite quickly), so no further action required, there is a slight difference in speed between different makes and models.

Being familiar with Linux is only advantageous if you are going to write your own scripts, otherwise a general knowledge of network setup and FTP is what you need, plus as I say, the ability to read long idiot guides. :)

If you use a DiseqC motor, then it may or may not be compatible with USALS but you need no further interface, a V-Box is only required should you opt for a 36v motor. It will depend a lot on which and what sized dish you select.

PS. Have deleted some of your duplicate posts and merged the other thread which has received a reply, along with moving this to a more general section. Please don't multipost, we clearly request that you do not do this in the rules and guidelines.

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
I had some of the equipment you are considering, they are:

Wavefrontier T90

Verdict: Bad quality design, the dish does not equal a 90cm on each position but more like a 80cm dish, the performance falls rapidly when you go off the center which is normal.

Read this thread i posted from when i bought the dish and what i hated about it:
http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=44471&highlight=wavefrontier

Triple Dragon 3000:

Pros: Good quality on hardware, solid remote control, solid chassi.
Good entry level Linux receiver for the newbie.

Cons: Bad tuner, not good at all when i have compared to other receivers I owned, bad software, getting better slowly however.

Takes long time to boot, slow when zapping channels, very buggy, locks up often and freezing, i experienced the TDman image the best when i had it.

No dual tuner etc etc etc.....

Relook 400S

Pros:

Best performing tuner on the market, it really caught my attention first time i tested it on some weak channels, eg Nilesat.
Great hardware quality.
Dual tuner
Unlimited channel space, more than 10,000 channels.

Record one scrambled channel while you watch another one, great!

Rudbox is the best image out there for Relook right now.

Image quality is impressive.

Good advanced Linux receiver for those people tired on the lack of quality of the Dreambox and wants something different.

Cons:

Cheap remote control, i don't like it, it's too plastic.
The GUI is not so nice, feels like some homemade graphics.