motorised dish

biggeff

Reaction score
Hi M8s

Iam having probs setting up my motorised1.1 offset dish, have read dish alignment files which helped in early stages, With motor at "0" and technomate 1500all connected i then swing the dish to 1deg W thor but can only find a weak signal of about 30% but swing to east and find a strong signal at 5deg, 19deg , and 28deg East only and none to the west after 1degW and have a clear view of true south found using solar noon method, my Lat is 53.88n Long is -2.78E, can any1 help before i call in the experts, I know us novices are a pain in the ar*e but thought i would ask anyway,

Cheers M8s

biggeff

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Thought we were the experts :rolleyes:

Which channel on 1W are you trying to line up on?. Try 11421 H 24500 as Kiosk 1 is FTA on there and very strong.

When you are on 1W try small elevation adjustments to make sure you are peaking correctly.
It also could be (if you are already peaked on dish elevation) that your motor is not physically centered ( on zero and at the highest point ) at the start. Try these first .

Let us Know how you are getting on throughout the day, post as often as you need and someone will be here.

Nice day for it anyway :)

L.

biggeff

Reaction score
cheers lancelot m8, first of all how can i be 100% the motor is at zero

cheers biggeff

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Don't know what motor you've got there but there are some marks on the body of some motors around the O/P shaft to indicate 0. You should be able to tell fairly easily by looking at it, if you are unsure then start by removing the dish and use a long spirit level to make sure the O/P shaft is vertical in both directions, this is a good start.

Also check the skew of your LNB. When you are on 1W rotate the LNB in its holder to get the maximum signal.

This is only a small alignment issue and shouldn't take a lot to sort out mate. :)

L.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Check the mount is vertical.

This diagram shows how this can effect East or West satellites only...

http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2349

biggeff

Reaction score
lancelot
what is 11421 H 24500 Kiosk1 and how do i find it

geb

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
I don't drive a technomate but from what i've just read they're fairly self explanitory.

Is there somwhere in the menu for entering channel data manually ? if so input the Kiosk1 data.

If it's easier then look for the 1W stored position and jump through the channels till you find Kiosk1 or if you see BBC World on there then that will do also.

I'm assuming here that you are using your reciever and a TV to line this up. If this is not the case and you are using a meter of some sort then all the better.

I see from you previous posts that you have a Stab hh100 i believe these have a zero marking on the casing

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
One thing novices usually fail to check it the alignment of the dish on the post of the motor , which also has to be perfect.

Quite often when tightening up the bolts the dish face may be offset by up to a degree or so, which will cause havoc with the final arc alignment.

Additionally if the preset frequencies of active channels are not in the receivers memory, it will come up with zero signal, even though its pointing right at the satellite.
Update the memory using the latest firmware settings, maybe best to make sure your dealer has done so before supplying it, as a few will void the warranty if you tamper with it.

H

Happy-Buddah

Hi
I see that your location is 53.88N and -2.78E do you mean 2.78W? Are you near Fleetwood/blackpool? My knowledge of Technomate receiver, I have had 3, is that you cannot put negative values in for lat or long.
Drive the dish to 1W useing your lat and long for your location in USALS, then swing the whole set up to find the satellite. Maximise your signal by adjusting the whole set up on the pole, clamp up. Further maximise your signal by adjusting the elevation, clamp up. You should now be spot on for all the satellites that you have a line of sight too.
1west, BBC World, 11325H, 24500, 7/8.
H-B

biggeff

Reaction score
Hi Happy-Buddah

you were spot on,thanks mate just got a few sats cant yet find , any ideas, could it still be position or maybe firmware?

cheers biggeff

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Good to see you got it :-clap1

Which sats are you missing now ?

L.

biggeff

Reaction score
Hi

sats i'am missing:- 40E,42E,45E, 7W,18W,27.5W,31.5W,37.5W,40.5W,43.5W,45.0W. These sats are listed in in technomate but dont receive a signal,

cheers biggeff

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
A lot of what you've put down there are satellites with occasional feeds only, so you may or may not get things depending on if the transponders are active or not.
However you should be getting something from 42E and 7W as these are active satellites. Have a look at Lyngsat.com and check your transponder info against what they say is broadcasting at the moment. Having said all that 42E is near the edge of your arc and if you are not spot on elevation wise then that would explain it. 7W will only show vertical transponders from here as the H ones are too weak to pick up (some of the V ones are quite a challenge anyway). Check your loaded info first to make sure you are looking in the right places.

L.:)

H

Happy-Buddah

If you go to Lyngsat/KingofSat/TrackSat/Flysat/SatCoDex and take a look at the footprints of those satellites you will see if you are likely to pick up a signal from them. You will also find frequencies for operational channels, try doing a scan on one of those channels on the satellites that you want to scan. Quite frequently software in a receiver is out of date as far as transponders are concerned.
T_G has a thread going that shows strongest transponders on satellites.
With the technomates you can nudge the dish east or west from it's position to see if you get a stronger reception.
H-B

biggeff

Reaction score
if the elevation is out should i go to 42E and then nudge the dish to try and find signal

biggeff

H

Happy-Buddah

Just try it and see, try flexing the dish up/down to see if you get a result.
Off now to set up my Funke 98cm on the pole.
You must accept that you might have to carry out some fine tuneing of the dish/motor on the pole. Percy Verance wins in the end, no pain no gainO-Ha .
Keep trying
H-B