motorised dish

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
yes i would think so

digdog if you live near bristol hisat sell gibertini dishes so you could go and collect it

den123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
ddcccccc
My Location
uk
hi all will i need a satilite meter to set my dish up thanks

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
yes one will help

digdog

Reaction score
My Location
Doghouse
Thanks Wod - seems server was down in Germany - I'm about 200 miles north of Bristol so order now placed wih dvb. Their code #DG does mean dark grey.

So my mate and I will have identical systems when it comes and I get it set up - cant have him bragging he has a bigger/ better one than me... :) :)

den123 - cheapest option is to get a mate who has a meter to lend you a hand. But if you get an el cheapo meter it should be ok for initial setup - but take it out and use the readings from your receiver when you do the final tweaking as the meter chops signal down something terrible - go for max quality for best performance - it is all good fun - honest!

:) :)

den123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
ddcccccc
My Location
uk
my dish came today put it all together before wife comes from work lol will try fix the wall bracket tomorrow then take it from there so may need a lot of help later stay on line guys when iam ready for your help thanks den anyone fancie giving me there phone number in case i get stuck thanks

digdog

Reaction score
My Location
Doghouse
Just a short follow up to getting my mates and my Gibi from Germany - they have obviously had a rough journey as 2 nasty dents on edges - one squashes edge in by about 1.5 cm and distorts adjacent reflecting face - very disappointing.
Supplier wants photos - I'll have to borrow a camera - hope he agrees to replace.
Dishes are a bit more solid than I feared - what a pity UPS bounced them so heavily!
:( :(

den123 - did you manage to sort it somehow - once you get set up fairly near you are best using your receiver meters. If you can get a tv near enough to see readings whilst adjusting dish that would be the ideal. In fine weather, I take a small portable outside with extension lead for mains and a long coax connection between sat receiver and portable tv coz my sat receiver is installed in living room some distance from dish and I cant see living room tv from the dish!

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
yorkshire
digdog said:
Just a short follow up to getting my mates and my Gibi from Germany - they have obviously had a rough journey as 2 nasty dents on edges - one squashes edge in by about 1.5 cm and distorts adjacent reflecting face - very disappointing.
Supplier wants photos - I'll have to borrow a camera - hope he agrees to replace.
Dishes are a bit more solid than I feared - what a pity UPS bounced them so heavily!

shame to hear about that, mine came through fine with parcelforce with the reputation they have i was expecting it not to

den123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
ddcccccc
My Location
uk
help guys before i go mad being up the ladder again right 1 have set the lattetude on the motor to 50.6 have got the motor set to 0 was looking for 5west as you said turning the pole slowly with the dish fastend got a signal on my meter halfway up dont no if it was 5west though tighend the pole then ajusted the dish bracket wwhat should the dish bracket be set on what number could not get better signal any help please helpppppppppppp:confused

digdog

Reaction score
My Location
Doghouse
Has your motor got a usals function as well as diseqc.......

and when you take meter out can you find any signal readings on your receiver to show you which sat you have possibly found - try 3 or 4 transponders on the likely culprits around due South. If you cant then it is back up the ladder to try again - but not in the dark or when you are tired.
It is a matter of patient searching - the sats are still up there although there are times when I swear they drop out of the sky! :) :)

den123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
ddcccccc
My Location
uk
hi. on the reciver the signal strenght is about 40 but the quality is 0 i was just wondering if i have found due south with the dish settings iam thinking of buying a compass what do you think thanks den

digdog

Reaction score
My Location
Doghouse
Not yet but dont worry too much at the mo - if your motor and dish are nicely in line with each other and the 2 appropriate u bolts nicely tightened and the rim of the dish is more or less upright (or top rim leaning back slightly compared to bottom rim) then I suspect a careful exploratory East/West sweep either side of due South (with dish and motor locked in line so that you are using the pole as an axle)through about 20 degrees might not do any harm. For now only tighten motor to pole and and dish elevation bolts sufficient to stop the dish sliding about on its own so that you can adjust these 2 settings (up/down left/right) fairly easily if you lean a bit on the dish - there is a fine balance to finding this tightness - especially as you dont want to fall off the ladder.

When you peak on the meter, switch receiver to standby, take out meter and connect lnb to receiver coax. Switch on again and check your receiver meters per my previous post- if you have found a sat you will get signal strength of about 97% and a quality of over 65% - this will allow you to positively identify the sat and find a few channels.

If your motor has usals as well as diseqc this can help us - does it have usals?

If it does and you enter your lat/long properly you can tell motor to go to a convenient sat near due south and without worrying what your receiver displays at that moment, nip up the ladder and try and then align dish and motor for best strength/quality on the selected sat -once you have got it , tighten up bolts and in theory that should be job done.

With or without usals the inline meter is a useful device to do a preliminary initial setup but it must be taken out when you are checking with receiver because it seriously attenuates signals.
Happy hunting!
:)

den123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
ddcccccc
My Location
uk
hi guys getting there have being up the ladder again got signal 11371 v 24500 7/8 is this 1 west if not what is it when i have sorted this drinks on me thanks for all the help den123 or have i got to move the dish still :confused

digdog

Reaction score
My Location
Doghouse
Wow - I reckon that is Thor 0.8w - near enough due South for what you want - now you can show off a bit and use motor to go to 1w - this will alter from where you have things set so go up ladder, find it again and try for max signal and quality - especially quality.

Do you have usals - if not sure tell us make and model of motor and we'll try and work it out...

Nice to see the progress, yeah!

This site is great for channels/frequencies etc and may help

h**p://en.kingofsat.net/pos-0.8W.php

den123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
ddcccccc
My Location
uk
thanks mates. its a motec 1200a motor can i just move the motor now to find 1 west or will i have to undo it all thanks

den123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
ddcccccc
My Location
uk
also this humax 2000 reciver is doing my head in hard to set up bloody thing lol whats the best reciver to look for thanks

digdog

Reaction score
My Location
Doghouse
The idea now is to make sure the motor and dish agree on the position of the satellite now you know where it is.
If your motor is still set for due South (which is how it comes from factory) and the dish at the mo is at 0.8w -less than a degree away - leave dish as is for the mo and now set your motor to go to Thor - it should move the dish another 0.8w (coz thats where it thinks sat is) and so lose you the signal you just spent ages finding. So, when it has moved your dish ,nip up ladder again and swing dish and motor back by that 0.8 degrees(again using pole as axle)to where you found signal and firm up nuts/bolts a bit just while you check everything- finally tighten properly when you are satisfied everything is OK.
I'll check out your motor after tea - in the meantime this thread has a few good ideas on setup - you can obviously read references to the pc card as receiver where relevant:-
http://www.satellites.co.uk/satelli...62-start-finish-ss2-progdvb-motor-diseqc.html

den123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
ddcccccc
My Location
uk
i have being moving the dish with the reciver dose it matter have not touched the dish though can i just send it to thor with the reciver thanks

digdog

Reaction score
My Location
Doghouse
If your moteck is a 2100a (I think that is correct number but I could be wrong) then it has usals and if you choose this (rather than diseqc) in your receiver motor menu it should find quite a few different sats for you. Some people prefer using usals to find sats initially and then switch over to diseqc to fine tune the settings - but perhaps that is something to try much later from the comfort of your armchair - no ladders - just playing with the remote! For now try usals and see how you get on - it is quite a good system.
Sorry to say I dont know Hummy - using a TM1500+ci which is well supported around the forums. Most receivers have odd little quirks - but that is part of the fun!

den123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
ddcccccc
My Location
uk

digdog

Reaction score
My Location
Doghouse
If your hummy sends motor to Thor when you select this sat AND your dish is manually tweaked up the ladder for max on Thor at this motor setting - then your main job is done coz everything agrees - it really is Thor you are on.
It doesnt matter that you have tried your motor - I guess you checked that markings on motor and dish were perfectly aligned before you started to move anything - but if you did not and need to realign the adjustment will probably be small and you can always readjust the dish to compensate as previously discussed.
There may well be other alignment issues as you try for sats some distance away from Thor - this is when your installation is fully tested for accuracy of motor to dish,pole alignment and dish elevation. Depending on view from installation location you may eventually get 42e to 45w - but for now check alignment on sats fairly close to Thor eg Hotbird at 13e and Astra at 19e and Atlantic Birds at 8w and 12.5w - if these are low/out you might have to make a small adjustment to dish elevation - but try not to lose Thor if you can help it. And dont worry if you cant see all that you think you should - they are still there and you are now into the small patient adjustment stage, I think!

Suggest you have a root about the threads for gen on how to adjust your setup for best tracking of the arc - this is a subject which has been covered many times by guys who are far more experienced and capable than me.

Happy hunting!