motorised setup help

dangerousdom

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Comag FTA III, metronic diseqc motor, Sky+
My Location
Croydon
Hi there,

I am trying to setup my motorised dish at the moment. I am using a fence post from B&Q to mount the motor on. I have read in various faqs that the pole and mount should be facing due south. At the moment my post is 10-15 degrees west of the true south position (I didn't have a compass to hand), I'm just wondering whether I should be able to track the clarke belt properly from this position or whether I should reposition the post.

Thanks in advance
Dom

whatsthis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020 Screambox
MAC OSX & windowzz 98SE
Gemini
1664 on tap
My Location
13°E
Hi dangermouse

My post doesn't face south either but it must be exactly verticle or the whole thing wont work.

The motor needs to be mounted so that the dish faces south 0°. This is done by loosely fixing the motor to the pole and sending the dish to a satellite with a strong signal (say 13 east). Move it manually and then tighten into position. Then the motor knows where 0° is and can go from one sat to another.

dangerousdom

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Comag FTA III, metronic diseqc motor, Sky+
My Location
Croydon
Thanks for the reply,

So what you are saying is that if the pole is not directly facing south then when the motor is at 0 degrees I will need to adjust the dish clamp on the motor arm so that it is facing due south??

Cheers
Dom

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
You need a short piece of scaffold pole instead of the fence post. :)

L.

whatsthis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020 Screambox
MAC OSX & windowzz 98SE
Gemini
1664 on tap
My Location
13°E
When I did mine I quickly forgot about true south and magnetic south. and I don't have meters n bleepers.
I cemented 2 four inch square posts into the ground and bolted a bracket to them for the motor to hang from.
The motor comes set at 0°. Fix this to your bracket so that it is face about south. Fix the dish to the motor and set the elevation angle from the instruction book. Manually align the dish so its facing exactly the same way as the motor and tighten. Wire it up and send it to 13east. Then slightly undo the motor bolts and manually move the motor slightly until the signal is good. After tightening check other satellites.
You shall need to play around with it and I'm not saying it's the most accurate but without paying for it to be set perfectly you can get most satellites.

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Nothing wrong with the manual method.
In 11yrs I've never used any meter or beeper and get all from 42E to 58W.
Just take your time and you'll get them all.

L.:)