motorised setup using 60cm oval sky dish

smudgerinho

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox 500 c/w Fracarro Penta 85 motorised dish range from 4 deg W to 30 deg E
My Location
SCOTLAND
good morning guys, could you give me some advice here

my brother is setting up a motorised system using a 60cm oval sky dish & lnb hooked up to technomate 1500+

were struggling to get a signal from anything , the best signal we got was on hotbird @ 60% but fluctuating badly on the screen indictor

He is also in Central Scotland, is the dish size & tpe okay? does he need
a new LNB?

I live just down the road, by but my dish is a round 80cm dish and my signal is perfect

any advice is much appreciated

smudge

:-worship

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
I had a go at a Zone 2 on a motor see here

Given your location, a Zone 2 is pushing it and a reliable 1 Mtr minimum would be required :)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I temporarily used a Zone 2 back in 2002 and then moved it up to Lichfield for my niece, did reasonably well, but is a tad on the small size, particularly for Scotland.

I would think that a minimum of a high quality 85cm like the Fracarro Penta 85 would be required for good all round reception.

Here's a snap of my lashed up Zone2, from 2002. :)

Attachments

• zone2_motor.jpg
    zone2_motor.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 120

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Geewiz, that's a way up Rolf.
Looks like a SAT TRACER 3 motor :D

smudgerinho

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox 500 c/w Fracarro Penta 85 motorised dish range from 4 deg W to 30 deg E
My Location
SCOTLAND
cheers satelliteman, cheers rolf

i thought it was pushing it a bit

:)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
satelliteman said:
Geewiz, that's a way up Rolf.
Looks like a SAT TRACER 3 motor :D

LOL, yes, notice the extra T bracket attached to the facia board to prevent mast movement. :) It was slapped up quickly to test the motor (not sure what it was), then upgraded shortly afterwards to a Moteck and Vector Industries Transparent dish, the mount is pretty much the same though, as I simply secured the mast to the top T bracket for the bigger dish. :)

smudgerinho

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
SCOTLAND
Hi guys thanks for the information earlier.my brother has pointed out the following Triax 1.1m model is this sufficient as its a reasonable price.here is the link below and once again thanks for the help much appreciated.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
That's a big dish on a DiseqC motor, particularly if it is in an exposed position.

PS. Removed link to satellite retailer

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
smudgerinho said:
Hi guys thanks for the information earlier.my brother has pointed out the following Triax 1.1m model is this sufficient as its a reasonable price.here is the link below and once again thanks for the help much appreciated.

Yes, a Triax 1.1 is big for a Diseqc motor, I have one on a HH-90. It seems to turn OK, but I have a feeling there is a little too much play on the motor shaft with that much weight on it. Perfectly safe and stable at ground level though.

Robbo:)

smudgerinho

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
SCOTLAND
Thanks all for the help yesterday my brother has took your advise Rolfw and went for the Fracarro Penta 85 which you suggested so he should get it tommorow.One other issue he has relates to an old lemon 020 reciever where when he powered the unit down a fault occured internally,now when the unit is powered up the digital display shows the word error.Is there a way he can sort this regarding firmware or is the box useless? as he was going to use it in his radio hut if it could be repaired.